Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have to say I should have researched this better myself.

That said - I have a 2010 R/T I bought in May because if I'd ordered/bought what I REALLY wanted, I'd have spent double or more than the $21K I paid for this car. I was shocked a week later to find out that the drivers seat back had NO way of folding forward. One thing that I REALLY loved about the new cars was the suede leather seats. So, when a set of skins from a 2014 came up for sale, I snatched them up instantly for $900. After getting them, I realized that the later cars DO have a forward tilting drivers seat and also that the lever behind the seatback on the 2010 passenger seat is different from the "pull forward" release on the later seats - guess what, $400 for a set of 2014 seats. I go to install the seat skins and find out that the foam base is different between standard and leather seats - another $290. Oh yeah, the seat back foam is also different - another $300. At least the back seat was a pretty simple swap and the skins fit fine with the regular padding.

The seat tracks DID interchange to the new seats, but that's about all that will. Even the head rests use larger tubes that are spread further apart than the early ones. Pretty much NOTHING interchanges. The GREAT thing is the elimination of those stupid hogs rings! What a joy to work with the snap-in plastic rail setup.

That said, I have to say that the leather seats with the new foam are WAY better than the stock cloth 2010 seats. They are also about 2" higher so I won't feel like I'm trying to be a lowrider in the car anymore. $1900 and a few days later I've learned a lot.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wow! That was a nightmare. I am glad that it all worked out for you though and that you are happy. I have had projects like that before that snowballed on me, so I feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that the seats are in I find myself stroking the suede on the passenger seat while I'm cruising down the highway...........

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I wasn't able to get the drivers seat bolted down because you have to have power running to it to expose the bolt holes by moving the seat forward and back. To do that cleanly, I searched high and low FOR AYEAR to find a car being parted that I could get the body side of the wiring harness pigtail from. I had to do that because there is no service part from Mopar, and after countless hours of searching online I simply could not find that damn connector. I was FINALLY able to get one a couple of weeks ago from a 2014 Chrysler 300 from a junkyard 2 hours away from me. I was able to use that and a pigtail I cut from my OE drivers seat to make an adapter harness, so it's now simple to unplug and remove the seat if I need to.

The YUGE improvement that I didn't expect is that the car now feels FAR smoother than it did before. What I've found is that previously the OE seats were so soft/mushy that you'd be bouncing around in the seat over bumps. Now, with the much firmer seat foam and better side bolsters you're simply held in place correctly and the result is a smoother ride and better feel & control. Yeah, I spent WAY too much on it, but it looks awesome, the Alcantara feels great, they're comfortable, the drivers seat now folds forward so I can put things in the footwell behind me (like my backpack for work) and there are probably other benefits I'm not thinking of right now.

Hey, we all know the only way a car is really an "investment" is when you buy something rare brand new, store it for most of your life and then find someone who has the money to have made it worthwhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts