Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apolgies if this is already addressed somewhere but I couldn't find it. I did find the "dent poll" but did not think that was applicable here.

I have solved the mystery of mysterious tiny dents on my trunk lid.

My first tiny dent showed up about a month after I purchased the 2011 SE. No paint scratch... and hard to see unless you look at it with a reflection from the side... located just slighty left of center toward the rear of the trunk lid. Didn't think too much of it other than cr*p!

My 2nd tiny dent showed up a couple months later. Within 2 inches of the 1st one. Same kinda small, difficult to spot dent, but very obvious when you look at it from the side with help from a reflection. Now I'm pissed. Is somebody walking by the back of my car and just dinking it with their hand? Since the paint isn't broken it's not being hit very hard... hmmm... maybe better visit my car wash and see what kind of equipment may be hitting the deck lid. No... car wash checks out fine... no equipment even touches the car.

My 3rd dent showed up a few days ago... this time I have was able to identy the enemy and... the enemy is me.

I was unloading groceries from the trunk... and with both hands holding groceries... I went to shut the trunk with my left elbow... just lightly pressed down on the trunk... thunk. Started to walk away but then looked back just to double check and sure enough... there was #3. I had been denting my trunk with elbow.

Jeeeeze. I don't really have bony elbows... and I wasn't slamming the trunk either. Just a very light downward motion which was just enough to latch it shut. And that was enough to dent the trunk lid.

So beware. The metal on the trunk is very soft... as far as the rest of the car... I'm not testing it.

I tried to take a photo but the dents are pretty much impossible to photograph... but they are easily visible with a little motion to see the reflections warp.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Damn Chinese Lead Steel!

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,950 Posts
The whole damn car is like that, I was denting the car just by placing my hand on a panel while reaching over washing with a sponge!!! No pressure or you will dent it!!!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out. I don't think anyone complained about trunk dents yet and it's a pertinent observation given that there's no handle to close it. I think I may used my elbow once or twice, but always push on the spoiler instead of the lid. If my hands are free I grab the ledge of the plastic tail light cover... and I don't pull too hard. My Charger was 3 years old and looked 10 when I bought it. Those cars don't age too well when manhandled so I'm babying the Challenger. :icon7:

·
Premium Member
4,124 Posts
The lid may be made out of aluminum, like the hood, and is probably 1.75mm thick, if it's the same sheetmetal thickness as the rest of the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my hands are free I grab the ledge of the plastic tail light cover... and I don't pull too hard. :icon7:
Yes... since mine is black (Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat) I rarely touch the paint and "usually" always grab the upper edge of the plastic light cover to push closed the trunk. Same with the doors... I have got into the habit of closing the door by pushing on the rear edge of the door jam where the tire pressure is listed. Too bad my passengers are not so careful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I always hated watching the hood flex under the driers at the touch less carwash.

I feel your pain about the trunk. I've got a crack in the tail light from pulling on the lip to close it. Now I pull down on the latch and than use light pressure on the spoiler to shut it.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
When you close the hood do you press it until it latches, or do you drop it? I will drop the hood at about eight inches up and it doesnt slam it just closes. Don't hold on to the door or trunk until latched, use modest movement and let it gingerly close. You'd be surprised at how much pressure you're applying the the item stops short. Many brands have that and on my Titan I let it drop while other owners have caved in the hood.

Reactions: Kowalksi

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
If the sheet metal was thicker the car would weigh more and it would be worse on gas and some would complain its too heavy.

·
Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
It has been reported that the sheet metal on the Challenger is one of the thinnest in the industry.

Some members have previously reported denting their roofs by simply leaning on them while waxing. Our cars should have warning stickers that say, "Warning- Extremely Thin Metal. Handle with Care."

·
Registered
202 Posts
Carhandling 101........"NEVER attempt to close any body panel that is not reinforced directly below the point of contact with elbow or foot." Old muscle car,,,,,probably ok but still bad form, Bunky. Shows disrespect for the car......

·
Registered
202 Posts
It has been reported that the sheet metal on the Challenger is one of the thinnest in the industry.

Some members have previously reported denting their roofs by simply leaning on them while waxing. Our cars should have warning stickers that say, "Warning- Extremely Thin Metal. Handle with Care."
True, all true but it's all about money and weight. Personally, I'll take em thin because this is already a big car and to build it like a tank would result in, well, a tank in terms of performance. Pick your poison....

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts

I can assure you this is true.
Expensive lesson learned. Thank God for paintless dent removal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe my shocks are too new, though I suspect everybody's are new, but if I just drop the trunk, it won't latch... you have to push on it slightly to get it to latch... when I pop the trunk with the remote it almost opens on its own... the hood is different... you can just drop it from 6 to 8 inches and it latches security... but my hood requires a slight push down to get it to latch.

·
Super Moderator
16,317 Posts
When you close the hood do you press it until it latches, or do you drop it? I will drop the hood at about eight inches up and it doesnt slam it just closes. Don't hold on to the door or trunk until latched, use modest movement and let it gingerly close. You'd be surprised at how much pressure you're applying the the item stops short. Many brands have that and on my Titan I let it drop while other owners have caved in the hood.
Definitely best to drop the hood closed - the AL is softer than steel and it could dent / deform the surface.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I expect that every car is a bit different, but here's what my 4 months old trunk does (just tried it):

From 1" : resting position, unlocked. You have to push to close it.

From 1-2": not enough momentum to lock. You have to push to close it.

From 3"-8": drop it and it will lock. That's the sweet spot.

From 8"-12": lid either stays put or goes up. You have to push to close it.

12" and up: lift off.

So just like with the hood I just have to bring it gently to a few inches up (8 to 3 in my case) and let gravity close it. I actually had been slamming it (not bad, but still) unnecessarily... Old habits die hard.

Reactions: Kowalksi
1 - 20 of 22 Posts