Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on the news this morning and thought it should be passed on. Guess I will be sending in my payment before I end up with the most expensive fill-up of gas in the history of the world!!!! :eek:

B.C. drivers who ignore U.S. speeding tickets facing fines, jail

By Amy Judd Global News

The Peace Arch at the Canada -U.S. border.
Ministry of Transportation

B.C. drivers who ignore speeding tickets in Washington state are getting a nasty surprise when they head south of the border.
A growing number are being arrested for driving with suspended licenses in Washington. Many believe that U.S. law enforcement does not apply to them, but a B.C. driver’s licence is automatically suspended three months after a ticket is issued.
That can lead to criminal charges the next time the B.C. driver is in Washington state.
The maximum penalty is a $1,000 fine and 90 days in jail, although the typical penalty is a $500 or $600 fine on top of the unpaid speeding ticket. However, if the driver has a Nexus card they could also lose that as driving while suspended is a criminal misdemeanor.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Saw this on the news this morning and thought it should be passed on. Guess I will be sending in my payment before I end up with the most expensive fill-up of gas in the history of the world!!!! :eek:

B.C. drivers who ignore U.S. speeding tickets facing fines, jail

By Amy Judd Global News
The Peace Arch at the Canada -U.S. border.
Ministry of Transportation

B.C. drivers who ignore speeding tickets in Washington state are getting a nasty surprise when they head south of the border.
A growing number are being arrested for driving with suspended licenses in Washington. Many believe that U.S. law enforcement does not apply to them, but a B.C. driver’s licence is automatically suspended three months after a ticket is issued.
That can lead to criminal charges the next time the B.C. driver is in Washington state.
The maximum penalty is a $1,000 fine and 90 days in jail, although the typical penalty is a $500 or $600 fine on top of the unpaid speeding ticket. However, if the driver has a Nexus card they could also lose that as driving while suspended is a criminal misdemeanor.

My husband was in LE a few years back. He had a young man, 21 years old, drunk as a skunk and did some damage to his Mom's newer mustang. He was arrested and, out of the kindness of my husband's heart, he gave the kid an appearance ticket and had him post a bond of 250.00 if his parents picked him up. Parents made arrangements for the car to be towed back to Canada, the kid paid 250 and NEVER showed back up in court to answer the DWI charges. After that, this incident was a constant reminder to him to be extra careful with cars leaving the country. The kid could have sat in the County Jail over the weekend.. so Mr. Nice Guy kinda got stuck. The Kid can no longer cross the boarder into the US. So I can see where Washington State would do this.. I too live in a border town.. and it should be the same as going from the US into Canada.. fair for both sides of our countries.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Another reason that a good radar detector is a very smart investment. I don't speed. But it can creep up occasionally. I would rather know where they are hiding to avoid situations like this completely.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Another reason that a good radar detector is a very smart investment. I don't speed. But it can creep up occasionally. I would rather know where they are hiding to avoid situations like this completely.

It's not radar that gets them.. it's the Custom Inspectors on both side of the border...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just send that payment to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Can you spot me until I raise the funds???? I can pay you back at the Mopar show in Everett. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My husband was in LE a few years back. He had a young man, 21 years old, drunk as a skunk and did some damage to his Mom's newer mustang. He was arrested and, out of the kindness of my husband's heart, he gave the kid an appearance ticket and had him post a bond of 250.00 if his parents picked him up. Parents made arrangements for the car to be towed back to Canada, the kid paid 250 and NEVER showed back up in court to answer the DWI charges. After that, this incident was a constant reminder to him to be extra careful with cars leaving the country. The kid could have sat in the County Jail over the weekend.. so Mr. Nice Guy kinda got stuck. The Kid can no longer cross the boarder into the US. So I can see where Washington State would do this.. I too live in a border town.. and it should be the same as going from the US into Canada.. fair for both sides of our countries.

Yeah I get it. But up here, at least in BC, we don't suspend your license for not paying a ticket. You just can't renew your car insurance until all outstanding fines are paid but once those are done you are good to go. So unfortunately there is no ability to be "fair to both sides" in this situation. I personally think it is way over reaching for Canada to allow the US to suspend our licenses. Just shows how "sure you can do that to our sovereign citizens" Canada has become. This would never happen in the states.

BTW - are you really from Youngstown? I lived there for many years and still have family and lake front property just east of the state park.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
BTW - are you really from Youngstown? I lived there for many years and still have family and lake front property just east of the state park.[/QUOTE]

Yes I am... My daughter works at Fort Niagara.. do you know where the Fatima Shrine is? I can throw a stone and hit their property. Beautiful out here..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, but if you dont get one in the first place.... Cheap insurance for states where radar detection is legal.

You are missing the point here. The fact that the US can first off suspend a drivers license of a sovereign Canadian citizen is an over reach by the furthest imagination. And then to arrest and impose a penalty of up to $1,000 and 90 days in jail along with the original fine. Just for having one, I repeat, one (1) unpaid speeding ticket........................is big brother at it's extreme.

BTW - radar detectors do not always work and will not always save you. So your "cheap insurance" is really just a throw of the dice and hope for the best also.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW - are you really from Youngstown? I lived there for many years and still have family and lake front property just east of the state park.
Yes I am... My daughter works at Fort Niagara.. do you know where the Fatima Shrine is? I can throw a stone and hit their property. Beautiful out here..[/QUOTE]

I have not been to the shrine but I think it is below the ridge and off Creek Road.

The fort is a fun to go to. My sister and brother played soccer there for years. Once you are south of the falls area it is a most beautiful place, especially in the summer. I always do a good exhale when I first hit the ridge coming down into Lewiston when I am back for a visit. Just feels like home in so many ways.

Nice to know there is some Modern Mopar and Challenger specific representation in the area. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You are missing the point here. The fact that the US can first off suspend a drivers license of a sovereign Canadian citizen is an over reach by the furthest imagination. And then to arrest and impose a penalty of up to $1,000 and 90 days in jail along with the original fine. Just for having one, I repeat, one (1) unpaid speeding ticket........................is big brother at it's extreme.

I believe the way it actually works is that once your are at the US Custom's booth, you are technically IN the USA. At that point, you are driving with a suspended license in the United States because of unpaid whatevers. I don't believe your license and registration is suspended IN Canada.. They get you when you cross onto US soil.

BTW - radar detectors do not always work and will not always save you. So your "cheap insurance" is really just a throw of the dice and hope for the best also.
Some of the new RD's are worth a 2nd look... more features are coming out as the cops get more and more radar abilitiess... I heard the Valentine's are supposed to be REALLY good...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yeah I get it. But up here, at least in BC, we don't suspend your license for not paying a ticket. You just can't renew your car insurance until all outstanding fines are paid but once those are done you are good to go. So unfortunately there is no ability to be "fair to both sides" in this situation. I personally think it is way over reaching for Canada to allow the US to suspend our licenses. Just shows how "sure you can do that to our sovereign citizens" Canada has become. This would never happen in the states.

Is it some common thing that I'm unaware of where Canadians think they can break our laws and somehow shouldn't be held accountable for it? If you get a traffic ticket, you pay your traffic ticket. That's part of being a big boy. Do you not pay your tickets in Canada? If you don't, what happens?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it some common thing that I'm unaware of where Canadians think they can break our laws and somehow shouldn't be held accountable for it? If you get a traffic ticket, you pay your traffic ticket. That's part of being a big boy. Do you not pay your tickets in Canada? If you don't, what happens?

As per my post, that you actually quoted, in BC (British Columbia) if you get a ticket and it remains unpaid then you cannot renew your car insurance until it is. Your license is not suspended over one, and I repeat again, one (1) unpaid ticket.

It has nothing to do with being a "big boy" or not, as I am a tiny woman so that would be a hard one for me to accomplish any way. It has to do with the fact that if you have a ticket unpaid then you can be arrested and face up to $1,000 and 90 days in jail along with the original fine. In BC we do not have anything "reciprocal" to this in any way. If you are a US citizen and get a speeding ticket up here there is nothing that I am aware of that can be done to you if you do not pay it. Hell there have been several high profile cases over the years where a US citizen has caused a major accident and not had valid auto insurance and then just hit the road home with no repercussions. So how about those US people being "big boys" and paying up also. Just saying that if you want to cast a stone then you will have one coming back at you.

BTW - I am also a US citizen, born and raised for a number of years, who also has CDN citizenship and lives in BC. So no playing the "country" card with me!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
As per my post, that you actually quoted, in BC (British Columbia) if you get a ticket and it remains unpaid then you cannot renew your car insurance until it is. Your license is not suspended over one, and I repeat again, one (1) unpaid ticket.

It has nothing to do with being a "big boy" or not, as I am a tiny woman so that would be a hard one for me to accomplish any way. It has to do with the fact that if you have a ticket unpaid then you can be arrested and face up to $1,000 and 90 days in jail along with the original fine. In BC we do not have anything "reciprocal" to this in any way. If you are a US citizen and get a speeding ticket up here there is nothing that I am aware of that can be done to you if you do not pay it. Hell there have been several high profile cases over the years where a US citizen has caused a major accident and not had valid auto insurance and then just hit the road home with no repercussions. So how about those US people being "big boys" and paying up also. Just saying that if you want to cast a stone then you will have one coming back at you.

BTW - I am also a US citizen, born and raised for a number of years, who also has CDN citizenship and lives in BC. So no playing the "country" card with me!
Absolutely, it should definitely work both ways. If I don't pay a ticket in my home state, they will suspend my license and put out a warrant for my arrest. I have no issue with that.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I am a tiny woman. Hell there have been several high profile cases over the years where a US citizen has caused a major accident and not had valid auto insurance and then just hit the road home with no repercussions. So how about those US people being "big boys" and paying up also. Just saying that if you want to cast a stone then you will have one coming back at you.

Please provide a list of the "high profile cases" you are referring to. It appears to me you are the only one playing the country card with your "dual" citizenship.

Reactions: rghoskins

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
See, you should have just sent me that payment .......:browsmiley:
Yep guess I should have. Will be putting that check in the mail today for ya. :laugh:

Ohh myyy...

I'll raise you with an Oy Vey................

:browsmiley:

Please provide a list of the "high profile cases" you are referring to. It appears to me you are the only one playing the country card with your "dual" citizenship.
Well if that is your take on it then so be it. It was not my intention as I was not the one who said "... where Canadians think they can break our laws and somehow shouldn't be held accountable for it?..." My intention was to say that this had nothing to do with what nationality anyone is as I was not referring to a nationality. I fully agreed that that the original speeding fine should be paid. My issue was and still remains with the way this is being handled and IMO what is an unbalanced further penalty for those that have no idea they can be arrested and jailed. This is not a penalty that happens in BC for an outstanding ticket, hell it barely happens at all.

As for providing you a list please go do your own google search. I know there have been some just as I am sure there have been some going the other way. I was not finger pointing just pointing out that stuff happens on both sides of the border.

If you take issue with my opinion then that is all right with me. That is what makes democratic countries so great..............we are all allowed to have our own opinions and thoughts and express them.

Everyone have a great day.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Thumpr,

We, (U.S. law enforcement) cannot suspend the license of a foreign national...however..... if that foreign national chooses not to pay his/her tickets in the U.S., their privilege to drive in the United States is suspended until restitution is made...make sense?

BTW...is a Yankee cop from the Bellingham area welcome on BCMM outings?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts