Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warranty ends in 10 days worth going to the dealer? Well folks my 2011 Toxic Orange RT Classic will be hitting the 3 year mark in 10 days. Car has never been in or near the dealership. I do all the oil changes and the car has 6,000 miles on it. Has never been in the rain or any bad weather. My wife is urging me to take it in and have them look it over. It scares me - one that they will damage my car - two they will mess with something to cause a later problem.

Have never had one problem out of this Challenger.

Any thoughts?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Dodge has been pestering me to buy an extended warranty for my 2013. According to the paperwork they have sent me, I can wait up to 4 years to buy one. I am going to call them back next week to confirm this. I will then wait until my 3 year, 36,000 are up, and buy one then. a lifetime warranty is $3565, a 7 year is $1790. Call them at
1-866-224-4947 for the details.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,069 Posts
If there's nothing wrong with your car, what do you expect the dealer to do with it? I understand they can give it a general once over inspection, but with the low mileage as you have on it, you haven't even flushed out many potential problems there could be. It won't hurt to bring it in, but for God's sake, DRIVE the damn thing!

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
Dodge has been pestering me to buy an extended warranty for my 2013. According to the paperwork they have sent me, I can wait up to 4 years to buy one. I am going to call them back next week to confirm this. I will then wait until my 3 year, 36,000 are up, and buy one then. a lifetime warranty is $3565, a 7 year is $1790. Call them at
1-866-224-4947 for the details.
That same warranty was $2500 if you bought it with the car.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
If there are no issues, don't go to the dealer, no reason other than an opportunity for disaster. As far as the warranty, you can get good extended warranties from your Credit Union for much less than Chrysler and you can go to any ASE certified monkey
for repairs, not be restricted to a Chrysler dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I wouldn't.

In fact, I only buy new cars, and I haven't taken one back to a dealer in over 20 years.

Knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
When you call the dealer, what will you say is the purpose of your visit?

"I've not brought my car in before but my warranty is about to expire in a week's time and I want you guys to spot everything that might be wrong and fix it for free."

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
"I've not brought my car in before but my warranty is about to expire in a week's time and I want you guys to spot everything that might be wrong and fix it for free."

Good luck with that.
They can't say NO can they!!!! I see nothing wrong with doing it, I plan on doing it myself, but I have had the car in twice before.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Just call the service manager and explain your situation and see what he says.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
If they hit people with a diagnosis charge prior to warrantying a repair just in case it's not a covered item, why would they go over a car that most likely needs nothing and waste shop time for free?

·
Super Moderator
17,317 Posts
You can certainly have a shop put the car on a lift, remove the belly pan and look all over to make sure there's no leaks, hoses chafing, etc.

That way you could catch anything that might be starting and have it taken care of before the warranty runs out.

As RWL11 said, you can also buy an extended warranty within the 48 mos. mark (I did this with mine) from Chrysler. Don't bother with the 3rd party companies.

I held off buying back in late '08 when I took delivery of my car, as there was uncertainty about Chrysler and I didn't want to buy an extended warranty if the company that was backing it up wasn't around.

After the BK and Fiat taking the company in a better direction (Cerberus was the low of the lowest periods), I decided to buy the LT / unlimited bumper to bumper warranty.

That way if anything expensive went awry (a/c compressor, IP cluster, PCM, suspension) it the future I was covered.
[the '09 3.5/5.7 have LT powertrain warranty for the original owner, which reduces the extended warranty $$ some over the other years]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the best option would be to take it to a trusted local independent shop and have them look it over for oil,coolant leaks, worn struts, etc. and then take it to the dealer with their findings..
I am a Service Advisor at a Dealership (import dealer), and the techs working at the dealer will find all of faults of the car other than what is covered by the warranty..
The fact is Dealership Techs get paid about 1/2 to 2/3 for warranty repairs of what the normal flat rate/ book time is, so they have no desire/incentive to find warranty work..
It may be different at a lower volume Domestic Brand Dealership, but at the high volume import store I work at there is plenty of other work for the techs to do..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would almost bet they'd find *something* wrong...which *unfortunately*, would NOT be covered by warrantee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts