Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you had 1400 miles on a new month owned 13 SRT 8 Challenger first would you let them install a new engine? Second how bad does a engine make noise at start up for them to make that call? Never owned a New dodge before how good is there Warr. and how good is there Dodge corporate center with customer satisfaction? I purchased new because of the youtube vids with people burning the crap out of there car and here I am with problems with a car that has not even had a chance of any fun..Guess I will see what happens tomorrow since the car is at the dealership-and not the dealership I bought it from. My guess this will NOT end well.

Thanks for all your input
Mark

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
Care to share what is the problem with the engine? What kind of noise is it making?

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
You have to see what they say the cause is, maybe it's something they can repair without replacing the engine. Chrysler would replace the engine before they'd swap out the car. It's their call on this not yours and I do appreciate your apprehension as I would wonder things as well. I'd take many detailed pictures of every inch of the car before it's touched and show them to them as a starting point.
Should they say they want to do that I'd find out all I could on the shops reputation and ask for their head mechanic or mechanics to do the work.
My father had an engine swapped on a new car once and it came back spotless and running like they never touched the car, so I know a good guy can do it satisfactorily. Give us more specifics if you can and best of luck getting the issue resolved.
Come to think of it some cars had the rod that holds the rocker arms break and they made a bunch of noise, it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well no surprise at the dealer-did you know that there are dodge dealers that are srt certified and most are not-the dealer I took this to had 3 of there best listen to the engine and there reply was they all sound that way-cracked tires with 1400 miles, the dealer told me they would do nothing for me-Chrysler would do nothing for me and also Goodyear would not do anything for me as the service advisor smirked. Well I did call the SRT part of consumer problems and the lady That is assigned to the car is the only bright spot of this whole ordeal. I will own this car and have it towed to the dealer when the engine grenades and it will time will tell when. I sure hope NO one has to go thru this crap with there pride and joy especially being less than 30 days old and less than 1400 miles. Morale of this story ask before you buy on build date and always make sure they change the oil and filter before you pick it up.

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,019 Posts
Your tires are warranted by Goodyear. Take the tire issue to Goodyear.
What is the engine issue?

·
Super Moderator
17,321 Posts
It sounds like the Hemi lifter tick.

The service campaign Star Case #S1309000013 - Ticking Noise from Upper End of Engine is what will likely take care of the symptom.

Reactions: John Matthews

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
So first it had engine noise, now it's tire noise?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
engine makes noise at cold start up-before the oil was changed that noise was there for 10 minutes-since the oil change 3-5 minutes-the tires are cracked in the center part of the tire-dealer wrote good year will not warranty the tires as well as Chrysler-tires are a big deal since this is not a noise issue but a problem if this tire comes apart at freeway speeds-dealer never changed oil on this car and this car was on the lot since august 8 of 2012, when I received this car the dealer drove it to my house they are in Indiana and I am in Wisconsin-the car had 410 miles on it 208 were on it before the drive to me-when I noticed the noise the oil looked dirty and thin-took it to a friend that owns a repair shop for a oil change and filter-when draining it the oil looked dirty and very thin-at that point we cut open the filter and there's metal in the lower part of the base as well as the pleats of the filter yes I kept the filter. If the tires do not get taken care of I will trade this in and its unfortunate because I really liked the looks and power of this car. If you think this is too bizarre to happen just think of whats happening in the world right now.

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
I'd try a new oil filter, maybe a bad drain back valve in yours and bleeding off oil.
I had three bad tires on a Ford and without much coaxing Ford replaced them not the tire maker but Good Year can't walk away if they truely are cracked so new.
Take it to an SRT dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Warrenty engine replacement/any problems?

What noise are you referring to? What did you "cut" the filter open with? How long was the oil in the crank case before being changed? And Goodyear and ONLY Goodyear will work with you about your tires, not the auto manufacturer and especially not the dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've owned 4 SRTs and every one of them had made a ticking especially at startup when new... Mobile one has seemed to make it a little better.. It's much more noticeable in ALL 392 cars than the 6.1s and I think it could very well just be the design of the fuel injectors.. They're noisy... I also think that is why the have the insulation over them under the coil covers...

The metal could be just from initial engine breakin.. Maybe send you oil to black stone after the next oil change and have it analyzed... I believe the compare it to other oil from same engines and similar Milagros if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Left my car at the dealer for over a week and they came back with the engine noise being the fuel injectors . I guess we will have to put some miles on this and change the oil at 5000 miles and cut open the filter again and see how much engine metal will be in this filter. Its hard to think that they had 3 top notch mechanics and the service manager listen to the engine and then compare it to another car they had and they said they both sounded the same so they both must be good. Hope when this engine expires I am close to home.

Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Left my car at the dealer for over a week and they came back with the engine noise being the fuel injectors . I guess we will have to put some miles on this and change the oil at 5000 miles and cut open the filter again and see how much engine metal will be in this filter. Its hard to think that they had 3 top notch mechanics and the service manager listen to the engine and then compare it to another car they had and they said they both sounded the same so they both must be good. Hope when this engine expires I am close to home.

Mark
Howdy Mark,

I've owned 4 modern Hemi's now, and they all make a little noise. However, not one of those Hemi's have ever given me a lick of trouble. My current 392 sounds so sweet I've yet to notice the Hemi tick at all!

Just had a flawless 3100 mile road trip to Montana and back to San Diego, averaged well over 20 MPG and loved the sound of the engine and the Harmon Kardon Stereo all the way "There and Back Again"...:)

Although of course you could be the exception these Chrysler Hemi engines are known to be superb power plants with very little actual problems, the Hemi Tick not withstanding.

Enjoy your car, drive it like a bat out of hell if you can afford the tickets and remember man, you have a 100,000 mile warranty on that puppy! I've had quite a bit of warranty work covered by Chrysler with out issue....More than I'd like to admit to be honest, but quick and great repair work done each time so far..

1. Tie Rod on 2010 Power Wagon
2. U-Joint 2010 Power Wagon
3. Gas Fill tube/Air relief valve 2013 Power Wagon
4. Rear differential 2009 Grand Cherokee
5. Automatic Transmission Cooler line 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon

All taken care of without hassle/issue by Momma Chrysler and my dealer... (Carl Burger Dodge, Ram, Chrysler, Jeep, SRT here In San Diego)

Yep, my next car WILL be a Viper. Thanks Chrysler.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well, yeah, no one likes to hear about this kind of stuff although I take all reviews with a grain of salt if you know what I mean. Wow, you guys are hard asses on comments huh, damn
NSF

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oops, not intentional being a hard ass... Sorry if it seemed that way!

Just wondering why one negative post would have any bearing at all on getting an SRT!

Check out the other manufacturer forums if you want to really see some negative posts!

:)

·
Vendor
13,314 Posts
well, yeah, no one likes to hear about this kind of stuff although I take all reviews with a grain of salt if you know what I mean. Wow, you guys are hard asses on comments huh, damn
NSF
go to any performance oriented site, Mustang, Camaro etc and you will find lots of people *****ing......just saying

Luke

1 - 20 of 23 Posts