Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack 2 weeks ago, new (15 miles). A week ago, I installed a BT Oil Catch Can and a front tower strut--maybe they help, maybe they don't, but I think they look good and I wanted to see them in the engine bay. Before installing the catch can and strut, I called the dealership and asked specifically what the dealership's position on those mods was. The tech said they see catch cans and struts, they're relatively common mods, that they weren't an issue, and that he couldn't see how they could cause an issue with the warranty because, he said, "It's not like you're getting into the engine. That's where the warranty gets to be an issue. You're good, bro." You see where this is going.

Fast forward to two days ago. As I am driving home from work and about a minute from my house the check engine light pops up. A second later, the ESC light comes on. I lose 90% of the power from the engine and the steering response gets heavy and vague. I limp home and pull into driveway. I shut it down then start it back up. On start-up, the engine turns over but has a problem firing--it does after 4-5 seconds, but I still have the check engine light and the ECS light. I arranged for a tow to the shop yesterday around noon.

Dealer calls me this morning and says that in looking at the car, they noticed aftermarket parts. They said they need my authorization to run a diagnostic, but they don't think the warranty is going to cover the work. I tell them to go ahead with the diagnostic, but that I was skeptical that the catch can or the strut would screw with the startup or ESC systems. I didn't mess with any electrical system, aside from removing the plastic push screw securing a cable harness to install the catch can. I put 300+ miles on it after installing the mods between a weekend road trip and daily driving to and from work without issue. If I tweaked a wire or screwed with a system, I would think it would be more readily apparent.

This is half to vent and half to ask for suggestions. What should my response be to the dealer if they ultimately come back and say the fix is not covered?

EDIT: Here's an update. Word from the dealer is that a faulty cam shaft sensor is to blame. The part should come in next week and the dealer said it is covered under warranty so fingers cross, we're all good.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,876 Posts
I bought a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack 2 weeks ago, new (15 miles). A week ago, I installed a BT Oil Catch Can and a front tower strut--maybe they help, maybe they don't, but I think they look good and I wanted to see them in the engine bay. Before installing the catch can and strut, I called the dealership and asked specifically what the dealership's position on those mods was. The tech said they see catch cans and struts, they're relatively common mods, that they weren't an issue, and that he couldn't see how they could cause an issue with the warranty because, he said, "It's not like you're getting into the engine. That's where the warranty gets to be an issue. You're good, bro." You see where this is going.

Fast forward to two days ago. As I am driving home from work and about a minute from my house the check engine light pops up. A second later, the ESC light comes on. I lose 90% of the power from the engine and the steering response gets heavy and vague. I limp home and pull into driveway. I shut it down then start it back up. On start-up, the engine turns over but has a problem firing--it does after 4-5 seconds, but I still have the check engine light and the ECS light. I arranged for a tow to the shop yesterday around noon.

Dealer calls me this morning and says that in looking at the car, they noticed aftermarket parts. They said they need my authorization to run a diagnostic, but they don't think the warranty is going to cover the work. I tell them to go ahead with the diagnostic, but that I was skeptical that the catch can or the strut would screw with the startup or ESC systems. I didn't mess with any electrical system, aside from removing the plastic push screw securing a cable harness to install the catch can. I put 300+ miles on it after installing the mods between a weekend road trip and daily driving to and from work without issue. If I tweaked a wire or screwed with a system, I would think it would be more readily apparent.

This is half to vent and half to ask for suggestions. What should my response be to the dealer if they ultimately come back and say the fix is not covered?
It's on them to prove that any of the mods affected the part that has to be warrantied.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You'll get a ton of responses telling you that a catch can won't void your warranty. But, I will say that I once got into a debate about catch cans and warranty over on the ImpalaForums.com and ended up posting soem evidence of GM denying warranty coverage for an engine issue simply becuase they saw that a catch can was installed. It can and does happen, regardless of whether it's "right" or not - and regardless of whether or not the catch can actually played any part in the failure. It gives the dealership/manufacturer an "easy out" to deny warranty coverage.

Unfortunately, if the dealership denys the warranty claim, it's up to you take them to court and fight it. People will mention the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and how the dealership cannot deny warranty coverage for something like that, but in the real world, the dealer makes a decision and then it's up to you to fight that decision.

I'm curious to hear what happens, but I'll be honest, I'll never install a catch can on any of my cars. Really, they are most beneficial on direct-injected cars (which the Challenger is not) - so to me, it's just not worth it, *especially* on cars that are not direct injected.

Even on my direct-injected Impala, I refused to install one. To me, if valve coking became an issue before 100k miles (the length of the powertrain warranty on my 2012 Impala), then I'd let the dealership handle it under warranty. If it didn't cause any issues by 100k miles, then I figured it was not much of an issue to begin with. To this day, I still have no issues related to valve coking on my 2012 Impala - it runs just as good as the day I bought it...

I know this post will be unpopular, but just giving my viewpoint and what I've learned about catch cans and warranty coverage...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Ya, I'm not totally sold on the performance aspect, but I think they look good, it was just north of 100 bucks, and I was told it wouldn't impact the warranty by the dealership that now says it's an issue. Hindsight is 20/20. I'll update as I get more info from them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The tech I talked to who said the catch can was all good mentioned it, too, so they know about it. But if they refuse to do the service, I can wave a piece of paper with words around all I want--I'll still have to go to court (and win) to get it to mean anything.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I know about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The tech I talked to who said the catch can was all good mentioned it, too, so they know about it. But if they refuse to do the service, I can wave a piece of paper with words around all I want--I'll still have to go to court (and win) to get it to mean anything.

Didn't the tech step up and say he said it would all be ok with the catch can?

Sorry, I don't intend to be mean. I really feel for you. A problem with a new car is never fun and to face the possibility it may not be covered under warranty due to what appears to be (and probably is) a harmless "mod" just sucks.

But I want to highlight how little, as in zero, it counts when push comes to shove what some dealer employee says about anything that in any way differs from what is written in the car's owners manual, and in this case the warranty booklet fine print.

And you are right about the MMW Act and waving the piece of paper around. Pretty much if the claim is denied then you are faced with having to get the car repaired and paying for it.

This is made more complex because you would want the place doing the repair to provide testimony that in its opinion the catch can was blameless for the problem, assuming of course this proves to the be the case and based on what you have posted it would be my layman's opinion the catch can is blameless.

This pretty much means you can't use any dealer for this, but would have to rely upon an independent shop to repair the car.

Then you would have to take the dealer/Dodge to small claims court and hope what the repair shop has to say -- assuming it is even willing to say anything at all -- regarding the cause of the problem tips the scales of justice in your favor.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
^^^^^This and they have much deeper pockets

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,876 Posts
No its not. It's on you to prove they didn't. Let's not start the whole Magnuson Moss act thing again.

Funny, where were all of you when I was having this discussion, but about doing your own oil changes instead.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Wanted to offer this...

If the warranty claim is denied try to get something in writing: a letter; that details as much as possible why the claim is being denied and how the catch can was to blame.

To know better what to ask for, how to ask for it, you might want to consult a lawyer one who handles consumer/business legal issues.

NO I'm not advising you to lawyer up only that a half hour's consultation with an attorney can be worth the money it costs.

I have done this a few times in the past and come away with in my notes good info regarding how to approach the situation, to know what to ask for, how to ask for it, and so on.

In every case the time/trouble/cost -- although some times the consultation is free believe it or not -- has been worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^^This and they have much deeper pockets

Hoping, if it comes to it, I'll be able to convince them that it would be cheaper to just take care of their customer rather than have to refer the thing to counsel. The work would cost less than 1 hour of their lawyer's time. Not to mention I will absolutely trash them on every online review site available if they come down on the wrong side of this.

·
Registered
324 Posts
From what I have heard from service managers, FCA hardlines dealerships on shop rates for warranty work making it very difficult for them to even break even on the repair.
Whether this is true or not I don't know, but for a dealership to deny claims for things like this sours me on the whole new vehicle thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wanted to offer this...

If the warranty claim is denied try to get something in writing: a letter; that details as much as possible why the claim is being denied and how the catch can was to blame.
Thanks. They haven't told me anything about what they think is the problem, much less how the modifications are responsible. Apparently, it took them a full day to figure out that they needed to ask me for authorization just to run the diagnosis so who knows when I'll have an answer. But yes, if they take the position that it's not covered, I will demand a full, written explanation of their diagnosis and denial of coverage.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hoping, if it comes to it, I'll be able to convince them that it would be cheaper to just take care of their customer rather than have to refer the thing to counsel. The work would cost less than 1 hour of their lawyer's time. Not to mention I will absolutely trash them on every online review site available if they come down on the wrong side of this.
Have you dealt with them before? Try talking to the service manager first, he's first in the decision process. After that the regional rep is the one who actually says yea or nay on the claim from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've had 3 Challengers in the last 9 years and all of them had Catch-Cans and never had any issue with warranty work (2 states and 3 different dealers). My current dealer actually empties it whenever I take my car in and tells me they did. I guess it's the relationship with the service manager.

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
A catch can is easy to install. I know that it's hindsight, but you should any removed it before you brought your car in for servicing to prevent any problems. This holds true for any other mods while your car is under warranty. Many dealers love to find excuses to deny coverage.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
The only denial I have seen posted about was when GM voided the entire powertrain warranty on a year old Camaro 1LE that lost oil pressure because of a catch can. The dealer also blew up his engine when they ran it with no oil pressure after he had it towed there, dude had to buy a new engine at a cost of over 12 grand out of his pocket.

Never heard of FCA doing this but guess they could on a high dollar engine repair which by the way, they will call the shots on whether it gets fixed or not, and not the dealer.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,232 Posts
Unfortunately, if the dealership denys the warranty claim, it's up to you take them to court and fight it. People will mention the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and how the dealership cannot deny warranty coverage for something like that, but in the real world, the dealer makes a decision and then it's up to you to fight that decision.

I know this post will be unpopular, but just giving my viewpoint and what I've learned about catch cans and warranty coverage...
This, x 1,000. You may be on the right side of angels, but you'll need a lawyer to bring those devils to court to prove it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Don't get your hopes up. The amount of money FCA is dealing with in your case can probably be paid out of the legal team's employee coffee fund, which is the can at the coffee station that employees toss a nickle into whenever they get a cuppa.

FCA has a resident legal team that gets paid whether they deal with you and your claim or somebody else's claim or no claim at all.

I think your best bet is to try to get something in writing as to why the claim was denied -- if it is denied I don't think that's been decided yet or if it has I've missed that -- and go from there.

Maybe mention you want something in writing because then you may consider seeking some restitution from the maker of the catch can.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,196 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts