Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is my transmission warranty also void since I put a new ball on the shifter? Just kidding. Being snarky. But what about a Barton shifter? Isn’t it identical to the original but just smoother?

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Is my transmission warranty also void since I put a new ball on the shifter? Just kidding. Being snarky. But what about a Barton shifter? Isn’t it identical to the original but just smoother?
Not denied but there was someone here who's dealer told him to put back in the stock shifter before they would look at his transmission issue. I could see FCA blaming a transmission issue on an aftermarket shifter but don't remember anyone posting that.

Something that did happen was a Hellcat Charger guy got his supercharger replacement denied under warranty because of a K&N CAI, he went on YouTube with it and FCA reversed course and fixed his car. But initially, denied.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's on them to prove that any of the mods affected the part that has to be warrantied.
No it's not. When push comes to shove it will be up to YOU to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Again, where were you guys when I was having this discussion about changing one's own oil in another thread?

This forum is ****ing weird. :lol:
I saw that thread but didn't think it was necessary to post. Besides my warranty requires six month oil changes but I refuse to change my oil after coming out of hibernation with 0 miles on it. So in essence I'm voiding my warranty and fully understand that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
Again, where were you guys when I was having this discussion about changing one's own oil in another thread?

This forum is ****ing weird. :lol:

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,876 Posts

It's the same thing.

If you do something to your car that it didn't come with from factory or wasn't serviced/installed at the dealership, you're at risk of being denied by the dealer or the case agent dealing with your claim.

Same. bloody. thing. And I'd like to see you prove otherwise.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts

It's the same thing.

If you do something to your car that it didn't come with from factory or wasn't serviced/installed at the dealership, you're at risk of being denied by the dealer or the case agent dealing with your claim.

Yep, some friggin' weird folks around here.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The only denial I have seen posted about was when GM voided the entire powertrain warranty on a year old Camaro 1LE that lost oil pressure because of a catch can. The dealer also blew up his engine when they ran it with no oil pressure after he had it towed there, dude had to buy a new engine at a cost of over 12 grand out of his pocket.

Never heard of FCA doing this but guess they could on a high dollar engine repair which by the way, they will call the shots on whether it gets fixed or not, and not the dealer.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
How exactly would a catch can, which is only in the PCV line, make an engine have no oil pressure?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Do what I did when the dealer I bought a used car from 3 days earlier, along with buying a warranty from, denied covering the A/C compressor on my '79 Trans Am. After they told me they weren't covering it, I sat myself down in the showroom, and told every single person who came in what they had done to me. I actually showed people my sales receipt, and said, "I bought this car from here 3 days ago, along with this warranty, that specifically covers all the A/C parts, yet they won't cover it!". I was threatened with arrest, being tossed out by the service department employees, and just told to leave by the owner, but after a while, they cracked and said, "You Win!", and it was fixed. Other than a few other minor issues, that car was great until something got put into the gas tank and it clogged up the fuel lines. That was a real mess in so many ways and it took forever to get solved by them putting fuel injector cleaner in the gas at the refinery. That melted the goo and fixed it.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
How exactly would a catch can, which is only in the PCV line, make an engine have no oil pressure?
You're right, it won't, but the catch can gave GM an out and they took it. He even elevated all the way to the top but GM didn't budge. I guess he could have gotten an attorney and filed suit but he chose not to, and not only refusing the repair but voiding his entire powertrain warranty too, that seemed like a low blow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Catch can is beneficial. It reduced knock retard in my car when I tuned it. Oil mist in the cylinder reduces octane rating, which increases chances of knock occurring. For a regular daily driver type car may or may not be worth it. If you are looking for increased performance, it does help.

The dealer could claim it voided the warranty, but they would have to be real dicks to do that. I would just go to a dealer that doesn't suck and understands a catch can isn't going to cause an O2 sensor to fail or camshaft sensor to fail, etc. Sounds like your dealer took care of you in the end, so that's good.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You're right, it won't, but the catch can gave GM an out and they took it. He even elevated all the way to the top but GM didn't budge. I guess he could have gotten an attorney and filed suit but he chose not to, and not only refusing the repair but voiding his entire powertrain warranty too, that seemed like a low blow.

That would kill any chance of GM selling me another car, ever. I would probably try writing GM directly, and if possible, sending it to the highest up person I could, and explain the problem and see what happens. Doing that has got me 2 replacement computers over the last 20 years, and a gun replaced too. If that didn't work, GM would be "dead to me", and never see my money again.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
That would kill any chance of GM selling me another car, ever. I would probably try writing GM directly, and if possible, sending it to the highest up person I could, and explain the problem and see what happens. Doing that has got me 2 replacement computers over the last 20 years, and a gun replaced too. If that didn't work, GM would be "dead to me", and never see my money again.
His problem started when he had his car towed to the nearest GM dealer which happened to be a Cadillac dealer and those guys had apparently never seen a catch can before and had no idea what it was. They took pictures and contacted GM and next thing you know, GM calls dealer and says to stop all work on the car. This was after the tech had driven the car 1 mile with a broken oil pump shaft so zero oil pressure this whole time. All it needed was an oil pump when he brought it in, when the Cadillac guys got finished with it he needed a whole new engine. So like everyone says, know your dealer.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Since the same engines are used across GM lines, it's doubly stupid and sad that the Cadillac dealer messed up the car so bad. I've seen and in a couple of cases, experienced things dealers do that is totally opposed to them making customers happy so they will come back. I don't get it at all. They used to do it more than they do now, but I never saw how it was logical to piss people off in the first place. My dad's friend who was a long time Olds/Cadillac dealer said he didn't understand it either, and tried to make long time customers and pissing them off was just stupid. They always took good care of us, being friends of the owner, but in general, they were very good to customers, period. The only time they screwed up was when one of the techs took my mom's car out for a test drive (stumble off idle) and went downtown to transfer titles and got a parking ticket he just tossed. When my mom got a letter saying she owed whatever and where the car was ticketed we knew right away that it wasn't her, or me, driving it. Lots of groveling by the tech on that one..

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
412 Posts
It's the same thing.

We'll .... the difference is that an oil change is required maintenance to maintain you warranty and an oil catch can is something you've added to the car. And, adding a catch can (which I have on my Challenger) could be interpreted as altering the Emissions system.

As for doing the oil change yourself, the Owner's Manual goes out of its way to give you the specs for all of the fluids for your vehicle and requires you to maintain your vehicle. It does not say that general maintenance has to be performed at a dealership.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,876 Posts
We'll .... the difference is that an oil change is required maintenance to maintain you warranty and an oil catch can is something you've added to the car. And, adding a catch can (which I have on my Challenger) could be interpreted as altering the Emissions system.

As for doing the oil change yourself, the Owner's Manual goes out of its way to give you the specs for all of the fluids for your vehicle and requires you to maintain your vehicle. It does not say that general maintenance has to be performed at a dealership.

It also doesn't tell you, you have to do it.

It's all very vague and "implied".

"Here's what you need and it has to be done every so often"
"So do I do it myself or take it to the dealer?"
"...Yes"

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
412 Posts
It also doesn't tell you, you have to do it.

It's all very vague and "implied".

"Here's what you need and it has to be done every so often"
"So do I do it myself or take it to the dealer?"
"...Yes"
The Warranty Information booklet (see below) that came with my '15 does say that it's my responsibility to maintain my vehicle. And while it recommends taking my car to a dealer, it does not require it as long as I maintain a log and keep my receipts.

9.1. General Information
It’s your responsibility to properly maintain and operate your new vehicle. Follow the instructions contained in the General and Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual. Regular, scheduled maintenance is essential to trouble-free operation. If there is a dispute between you and Chrysler Group LLC (􏰀Chrysler􏰀) concerning your maintenance of your vehicle, Chrysler will require you to provide proof that your vehicle was properly maintained.

For your convenience, Chrysler has prepared a Maintenance Log which is included in your Owner’s Manual. You should use this Maintenance Log to keep track of scheduled maintenance, either by routinely having the repairs entered in your Maintenance Log, or by keeping receipts or other documentation of work you’ve had done on your vehicle in your Maintenance Log.

9.2 Where To Go For Maintenance
Chrysler recommends that you return to the dealer from whom you bought your vehicle for all maintenance service both during and after the warranty periods. Although you can get warranty service from any dealer who sells your particular make, returning to your selling dealer will help ensure that all your service needs are met and that you’re completely satisfied. The dealership technicians are specifically trained to proficiently perform maintenance and repair procedures on your Chrysler Group LLC vehicle.

Authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealers will help ensure that all your service needs are met and that you’re completely satisfied. Chrysler strongly recom- mends you use genuine Chrysler / MOPAR parts to maintain your vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,876 Posts
The Warranty Information booklet (see below) that came with my '15 does say that it's my responsibility to maintain my vehicle. And while it recommends taking my car to a dealer, it does not require it as long as I maintain a log and keep my receipts.

9.1. General Information
It’s your responsibility to properly maintain and operate your new vehicle. Follow the instructions contained in the General and Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual. Regular, scheduled maintenance is essential to trouble-free operation. If there is a dispute between you and Chrysler Group LLC (��Chrysler􏰀) concerning your maintenance of your vehicle, Chrysler will require you to provide proof that your vehicle was properly maintained.

For your convenience, Chrysler has prepared a Maintenance Log which is included in your Owner’s Manual. You should use this Maintenance Log to keep track of scheduled maintenance, either by routinely having the repairs entered in your Maintenance Log, or by keeping receipts or other documentation of work you’ve had done on your vehicle in your Maintenance Log.

9.2 Where To Go For Maintenance
Chrysler recommends that you return to the dealer from whom you bought your vehicle for all maintenance service both during and after the warranty periods. Although you can get warranty service from any dealer who sells your particular make, returning to your selling dealer will help ensure that all your service needs are met and that you’re completely satisfied. The dealership technicians are specifically trained to proficiently perform maintenance and repair procedures on your Chrysler Group LLC vehicle.

Authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealers will help ensure that all your service needs are met and that you’re completely satisfied. Chrysler strongly recom- mends you use genuine Chrysler / MOPAR parts to maintain your vehicle.

Ah, I was referencing the manual.

Then you are correct, and this is useful to know just in case.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts