Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I am really desparate here.

my car suddenly didn't start I checked battery and all that and still won't turn over.

so I towed my car to the dealershop and have them inspect.

they told me they found white substance in my gas tank and it is clogging inside.

they are thinking somebody put in some sugar in the gas tank

they have to change the fuel pump and hopefully it would run again.

however, they say it is not covered on warranty and I have to pay $2200 bux to do those.

does anyone here have better idea? is it true that its not covered by warranty?

it has been 13 months since I had my car

thank you for reading.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Call your insurance company. It's the same thing as someone keying your car and not a warranty claim.

Reactions: MikeDCop

·
Registered
353 Posts
And get a locking gas cap...avail from dealer.

Reactions: RWL11

·
Registered
651 Posts
Putting sugar in someone's tank is an extreme action and usually of a very personal nature, usually not the act of random vandalism.

Do you suspect someone had / or has a major issue with you, (x-girl friend, subordinate, etc), ?

If not, I would be very suspicious of the dealers claim about something in your tank, ask to see it if still possible and get a sample, could be something beneign and the real issue is simple component failure of pump or other.

Again, Occam's Razor:
Of all possible explanations, the simplest is usually correct.
Good luck,
:smoker:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I can't believe that some people still think this myth is true. Putting sugar in the gas tank doesn't do anything! It will dissolve just like it does in water.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is over 4 months old. I guess the OP either got his problem resolved, or is a troll.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I can't believe that some people still think this myth is true. Putting sugar in the gas tank doesn't do anything! It will dissolve just like it does in water.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is over 4 months old. I guess the OP either got his problem resolved, or is a troll.

Ehhhhh, nope it does not dissolve. It actually turns into a brownish very thick syrup like gel and clogs everything up. Its not easy getting it past the safety/tamper valve in the bottom of the filler tube though. I have had to clean a few tanks, replace fuel pumps and injectors for a few customers in my time. Its not a pretty site getting into these gas tanks that have had sugar put in them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
White stuff in gas tank

I have my car at the dealer for the 2nd fuel pump in 2 weeks ($791 each). Called yesterday to say someone vandalized my car with sugar or baking powder. Took a sample to my lab. Evaporated to gas and tested on a FTIR spectrophotometer. Came up with a grease as the closest answer. Seems like it's an emulsion formed by the ethanol separating from the gas and absorbing water . Looked like curdled milk in the gas. Hoping I can drop and clean the tank and blow out the lines. Maybe clean the fuel injectors. Kind of bummed they didn't notice the crap in the tank during the first fuel pump install.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ehhhhh, nope it does not dissolve. It actually turns into a brownish very thick syrup like gel and clogs everything up.
After doing some research, it turns out we're both wrong. It does not dissolve, and it doesn't turn into a gel, either. It simply acts like sand, and if enough sugar (or sand) is poured int the tank, it will clog the fuel filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how it turned out..

they had to replace the fuel pipe? or whatever that costs 1200.

warranty didn't cover it so called insurance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thundersteel is right, I was an automotive Tech back in the 60's and 70's and personally worked on at least two cars that had sugar put in the fuel tank. It did stay granular and didn't dissolve. It only plugged up the fuel system making it necessary to clean out everything from the fuel tank to the carb. Today I'll bet it would make a real mess of the injectors if it got through the fuel filter and would be a very expensive repair.

Eagle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts