Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING: This long-winded story may induce extreme boredom . **Consider yourselves warned !!

So……….just sold my 2012 Challenger R/T Classic to a neighbor whose been admiring the car since I got it in late June of 2012; this after obtaining a couple of rather pathetic trade-in offers from local dealerships . I suppose it should be noted that my car was of the “garage queen” variety with only 2200 miles on it. In addition, and undoubtedly having something to do with a moderate case of OCD, it was virtually prefect in every regard –and was “loaded” with every option available with the exception of the HK sound system.

As I had, less than 2 years ago, I was out looking actively for a Chrysler 300C, having once again fooling myself into thinking that I was just having way too much fun (for an old “fart,”) with that car and the 375 ponies under the hood - a car for a younger guy, that is !!

Late last week, after retrieving my 92 year-old Dad out of the VA hospital, and him being no worse for the wear, I decided to get off my butt and find a 300C right away.

Then………………as if the “MoPar “God’s (no blasphemy intended) themselves could see into my very soul, I received a call from my son who was aware, although I’d had an R/T and was after a 300C again, how very fond I always was of the Challenger Yellow Jacket. With all due respect to other owners, with other preferences, my eyes simply said to me, and me alone….”That’s one of the prettiest darn cars I’ve EVER seen.

So………….”junior,” who drives a Charger SRT, tells me that a friend of a friend of a……..you get, I’m sure………..that there was a “new” never registered 2012 Yellow Jacket with every option but the “kitchen sink,” and 96 miles on it for sale by owner, although not yet advertised, up in west-suburban Detroit. It seems that retired Chrysler employee, as it turned out, had bought it for an investment and felt that any substantial return on his hard-earned money might only be seen 35 years in the future – when he would be about 100 years old !!

Well…….I once again forgot all about Chrysler 300s, called the seller, drove to the west side of Dearbornistan/Detroit, and TA-DA, drove home in the Yellow Jacket after dropping off my Avenger Rental at Metro Airport !!

I LOVE these Challengers, as I’ve been bitten (stung, this time, lol?) twice in a two-year period.
Now, if I can just find a spare tire (am hoping there is one) under two subwoofers and a DC-powered portable air compressor, I’ll be set.

P.S. Bought a CAI, “ported over” my tapered/bored throttle block from the R/T and may buy a Diablo hand-held. If I don’t, I’m liable to be writing you all from a “nut house” in a year or so, explaining how I went looking for a Chrysler 300 and came back with a Hellcat, lol !!

Thanks to all of you for everything these 2 years past. Am still having fun with the best modern “hot rod” money can buy !!

Regards,

Gary aka “beamg5”

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
Congrats!!! Automatic or 6spd?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ken. Man these 392's really are kinda' quick, eh?

P.S. I should have just changed the avatar - It would have been a helluva lot cheaper," lol !!

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats!!! Automatic or 6spd?
Thanks a million "1970." 5-speed automatic. I really do appreciate the "feel" of the 6-speed manual, but the new automatics have won me over (more or less.)

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Congrats, Gary! I must say, you sound like a 300 owner to me (as in a gentlemanly sort of way), but the main thing is that you love what you drive. I have no interest in even test driving a 392 myself as I know I would go back to my R/T hating it. Enjoy! :cheers:

Reactions: DJ Hemi and beamg5

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
At first I thought this was going to be a "I got beat by a 300C" type thread
nice looking YJ..enjoy

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Congrats on the BEE, Gary.
Need to put on a layer of the anti-sting wax on your car ASAP or buy a bee suit.

Here's the recipe:

My anti-sting formula: melt together 1 part beeswax, six parts olive oil, pour into small jars - around 100ml. Add 5-6 drops clove oil to each jar, stir, allow to cool. Rub a little into hands before working on a colony.

I used six tablespoons olive oil to one tablespoon beeswax, which makes enough to last a long time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats, Gary! I must say, you sound like a 300 owner to me (as in a gentlemanly sort of way), but the main thing is that you love what you drive. I have no interest in even test driving a 392 myself as I know I would go back to my R/T hating it. Enjoy! :cheers:
Thanks much - I appreciate it. Yeh...I really am a 300C kinda' guy, that is with regard to my age, a lot of "dress up and dine out" with the wife, in these, the first years of my retirement.

BUT................I suppose it's fair to say "I've never seen or driven a Challenger that I didn't like, :yumyum: "

Regards to all,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Congrats on the new car, enjoy every mile. One thing you will notice is all the insects are drawn to the color as if they are trying to pollinate it. What a great toy to spend your retirement time with.

Reactions: beamg5

·
Registered
880 Posts
I didn't want a yellow car but a month after I test drove it I fell inlove with it then bought iT.

Sorry but no spare. Mine too has the "everything but kitchen sink" option and we just have the run flat/air compressor for a spare.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I didn't want a yellow car but a month after I test drove it I fell inlove with it then bought iT.

Sorry but no spare. Mine too has the "everything but kitchen sink" option and we just have the run flat/air compressor for a spare.
Just so you know the tires are not run flats.

Reactions: beamg5 and wasp392

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on the new car, enjoy every mile. One thing you will notice is all the insects are drawn to the color as if they are trying to pollinate it. What a great toy to spend your retirement time with.
Thanks a bunch, my friend !!

Whereas you mentioned "One thing you will notice is all the insects are drawn to the color," am just thinking back through the years to what a car like this (or any other Challenger for that matter) might have drawn in the way of females; females wanting to cross-pollinate, that is !!

Although, I truly would question any kind of relationship with a woman based on the type of car I drove, you gotta' wonder just how effective a "trap" they could be for a much younger guy and his "prey."

Never hurts to reminisce, I suppose :naughty: !!

With thanks to all again.............

Best regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Great story and not boring at all! Enjoy that new YJ and the extra ponies that come with it. I could never drive such a beautiful car as that because the cops would impound it and throw me in jail.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts