Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know, strange. It's not on purpose. I paved an area on the backside of the house, so I can drive around to the back, to wash my car.

I also have a household water softener. It's upfront of the plumbing, so everything back is soft water. So there is only one hose bib that is "not soft" and straight from the city.

Soft water is good for dishes, it leaves no spots. It's good for your hair. Makes the soap more effective. Etc, etc.

Is soft water good on the paint? I'm asking because the water softener pellets are basically salt, or other similar stuff.

Or it's really not a big deal?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
Soft water will always be better. The shampoo will be more effective, and there will be less spots from minerals in the rinse water. I doubt there are any negatives to washing with soft water. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
Soft water is best, especially if you wash your car in the sun. It will not leave water rings on your paint if it dries, unlike hard water with its mineral deposits.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Soft water is definitely what to use given the choice. At the self service car washes where you toss in a bunch of quarters, the "spot free rinse" setting uses soft water. How do I know? Years ago I worked for a water softener retailer that serviced the softener at our local self serve car wash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah +1 for soft water. The good mobile detailers actually have portable water softeners in their rigs. Mainly for water spots.

·
Registered
643 Posts
you can use distilled water with a rinse free system. i got the chemcial guys wash were you add the solution with distilled water, put it in this pump bottle that pressurizes and you can spray and wipe. it's an option if you don't want minerals from the tap

·
Registered
412 Posts
Soft water has salt, so it will promote rust. Check out Griot's Garage catalog, they have some options for home setups to filter the water before it comes out of the hose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts