Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we all know that we can't really see our directional indicators on our dash pods...that well ...with our hands on the wheel. It got me thinking with the tuner guys making the washer LED thing popular, is there a way to turn that light around and tie it into our directionals??? How retro cool would that be... Dunno why Dodge didn't think of this ??? Hmmm 1970 Chargers, GTX's, Road Runners... had 'em ....

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm working on it... I have a few things in the works to try to bring this idea to life.

Previous pic had the directionals inside, these are outside the washers.

Even found covers that can be painted to match the car.

Good stuff ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Any possibility of installing a very small led on the top of each washer housing? I wouldn't think you would need an arrow, just a flashing light on each respective housing? Maybe drill a small hole, insert the led, and hook to the signal leads?

I'm going to be working on this one myself.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was thinking about this to, but the only ones I saw where kind of ricey. I also have a pair of 70"s NOS turn indicator's for the fenders but I can't get my self to drill any holes.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
YES, good stuff!
Will be watching for progress.:smokin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whelp, good news, i got my painted covers in, they're kinda big since they go over the existing washers. Had the company paint them the same color as the car ... They look AWESOME! my only issue now is how to take it all apart and figure the best solution with some sort of LED and keep it sealed so no water gets in but the squirters get out? I got 2 set's incase i goof up the first set.

Going away on business for about a month so if there are any suggestions feel free to post picturs or ideas. I'll be visting my brother, a ig MoPar fan too, he's got a few ideas too.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Something must be odd about me, as I have zero problems seeing the arrows at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For some reason mine are dim and maybe the placement of my wheel and/or where i hold my hands while driving??? So relocate to the washer area seems to be a good idea since they are right in line of sight.

I guess its not for everyone but kinda retro too... If i can do it easy and it looks good ... just a thought.

Diz

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here are pics of the covers placed on. I've found so many different LED's gotta choose... but here is what they'll look like once on. I'm off again in my travels , so won't be able to play anytime soon. When i choose an LED and install i'll take pics of the install.
Anyone know off the top of their head which wire on the Front Directionals are the + and - ??? There are 3 wires, i'm assuming, ground (black /w silver) and the other two are Turn sig and Running (parking) lights. Just need the directional (turn sig) . Just asking ???

Thanks all ...

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Install Complete !!!!

I finally finished my washer directional project. It only took two months ...hahahah. I travel a lot so that added to the time. Being an engineer i just couldn't find myself just "tapping" into the direcional harness, so i created a "plug-n-play" system. The first run is always the most trying. So i bounced ideas of others and i'm very happy with the results. Let me know what you think ???

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks pretty good. Do they blink with the signal or are they just on when its on?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for you to see...

... and maybe the person next to you at a stoplight. Does whatever the directionals do, left, right or flashers, not too bright where they're annoying, but you can see them fine in daylight and great at night.
For some reason my dashboard directionals aren't very noticable, kind of dim and slightly marred by reflection, i did this for myself to see them better, an updated version of fender and hood turn signals of MoPar past.

Diz

·
Registered
956 Posts
That's really nifty. How much are you into it for out the door, and where'd you get those oem looking pigtails from?

You need to get a video of them in action.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not much at all...

It really didn't cost that much at all. However i did buy multiples of each item used just incase i found a better way and had to do it over again.
I made the pigtails myself. I purchased an actual directional and harness from the junkyard (a 2003+ Neon), then purchased the new directional repair kit, the covers and the LED's. Most of the time taken was me being away not able to work on the project.
I wanted this to look as factory as could be, that's why i built the harness pigtails used all factory connectors and even was able to find a pair of MoPar "Left" and "Right" lables to put under the hood mat to identify each side. Too funny!

A big thanks to the people who put in their 2 cents to guide me along, especially my brother John!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you leave your turn indicator on for too long (like maybe 60 seconds or more), a message appears in one of the center gauges and tells you its on. I accidentally found that few weeks ago...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great Job!!! After speaking with you, I embarked on my own mission, Because I don't use my wipers or washers as the car only comes out in prestine weather I purchased 2 replacement washer nozzle's from my dealer, drilled the center's out and installed violet LED's. I just finshed it up, still need to swap them out and do some wiring. Dizzi, thanks for the idea and previous conversation!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
GREAT to know ...

Shhnapa -
VERY interested in how your lights look??? If you get a chance to take a few pictures, please post them. It'd be GREAT to see that machine ...

I did have to "re-engineer" where the actual light location is. I took the covers off to apply black two-sided tape (initially only had grey) and since the lights were connected to the covers unwillingly "permanently disconnected" the lights. FORTUNATELY i did purchase extras just for this purpose. Relocated the lights to the tops of the washer itself (stick-on tape) and placed the covers back on and actually like it better. The idea of placing a connector just on the other side of the lights hidden under the hood pad, was perfect, made it quick and relatively easy to replace the LED's. This was my intention, however i didn't think i'd be needing to exercise this funtion so soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts