Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, about 3 weeks ago, my wife and I were down at the local dodge dealer, mostly giving the salespeople a hard time about how the so-called Charger looks, and darn-it if we didn't drive home with a new Challenger abot 5 hours later!

It's blackberry pearl, 5 speed auto, super track pack, with the exterior appearance package (black fading stripes on the sides, non-functional hood scoop and silly little spoiler on the back)

Anyway, being a dark blue car, it shows every spec of dirt. I washed the car the first time with Turtle wax car wash, and got water spots. So I asked around and did some online research and tried a different type of wash, and used light compressed air and a micro-fiber towl.....and still got water spots.

I talked to the dealership and they said light waxing is the best way to get rid of the spots, but like others, I am leery of waxing a brand new car.

Also, talked to a guy from the local chrysler/jeep dealership and he recommended using "nu-finish" on it. I cringed at the thought, but have had several people tell me it works great on new cars.

I did use nu-finish on my '69 charger before I had the body work done, and it did work nicely on the old paint, but I am not comfortable with using it on the new car.

Also, how best to preserve the stripes, as they are over top of the clear coat.

Any info / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
No issue waxing/polishing or using a clay bar on your new vehicle.

Depending on the water spots and how bad they are, you may need to use a clay bar to get them off. Otherwise try a simple cleaner wax and that should help. Use the best wax on your vehicle, which in my opinion is a good Carnuba. There are great synthetics as well but I always find my way back to Carnuba.

To help prevent water spots when washing, do not wash in sunlight. Water spots will appear before you can completely dry the vehicle. If that is not possible, wash her in the early morning when the sun is low in the sky.

If your stripes are flat black, DO NOT wax them! They will streak and you will have a hell of a time cleaning them. Just use a good quick detailer on them.

Good luck!

·
Banned
368 Posts
I just recently started using Turtle Wax Ice. Seems to be working pretty well...even on the platic trim pieces. I'm sure like drifter, I'll make my way back to carnuba wax, but for now Ice is a nice change.

·
Registered
116 Posts
like drifter said don't wash it in direct sunlight, easier said then done right. i wash mine either early in the day like between 6-7 in the morning or at dusk. the cleaner wax or clay bar should take the water spots right out. i usually clay bar my car 2-3 times a year ( i hate bug guts on the front of the car with a passion). i also use meguiars gold wax every couple of months to give it a nice deep shine to it. in between waxes i use turtle wax ice detailer ( the good thing about the ice products is you can use them on any surface except glass.). keeps my car looking factory new.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Read all the articles on properly washing your car. To me, the key is to keep the car wet while washing areas. (Doing it in early morning or late eve is a given) So periodically, I spray down other areas to keep them wet. Then for a final rinse, I remove the sprayer and let the water flow to collect as much water (and droptlets) as possible.

Then I quickly follow up with my leaf blower and right after with my waffle weave MF. Don't even think about interrupting me during this stage! lol

I would watch that you don't polish lock your water spots to or else you will be creating even more headaches.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna wash it again this evening, and hopefully get the water spots off.

I have to drop it off at the dealership tomorrow and get the door ding fixed (had the car for 24 hours and got door dinged.....AAARRGGHHH!!!).

I'm buying more microfiber towels this weekend.

I have read about people using small leaf blowers to help get the water off before using the towels. Not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that, but I have used the spray nozzle on my air compressor, and that seems to help.

If I had known how much work this was going to be, I think I would have bought the red one! :)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Adams had a product called detail spray that you use on the car while it's wet before you dry it that neutralizes the water and stops the water spots . Go to their web site and they have a video on it. I'm looking at buying the filter that goes on the water hose that runs the water through a canaster. It gets all the minerals out of the water so you don't have to worry about water spots. Speedy's garage has a section on in under car washing. Check Jays site out.

Black is the best color hands down, you just have to practice some extra care. Once you go black you somtimes don't go back lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe

I'm gonna check out that detail spray, and the filter, both sound like something I need.

My car is actually the new "blackberry pearl" color. It's dark blue, but actually depending on the light, it's blue, black, or dark purple!

I'ts a pretty cool color, it just shows every spec of anything that gets on it, and since it's now our daily driver, I'm gonna be washing a lot. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Adams had a product called detail spray that you use on the car while it's wet before you dry it that neutralizes the water and stops the water spots . Go to their web site and they have a video on it. I'm looking at buying the filter that goes on the water hose that runs the water through a canaster. It gets all the minerals out of the water so you don't have to worry about water spots. Speedy's garage has a section on in under car washing. Check Jays site out.

Black is the best color hands down, you just have to practice some extra care. Once you go black you somtimes don't go back lol.
I have used Adams but tend to prefer their waterless wash for post wash wipedowns to remove fresh water spots.

However, I had some aged water spots that the wash could not remove (nor other details sprays) and reached for an old bottle of DG Water Spot Remover and it quickly got rid of them. It smells like vinegar but the label has some chemical name (not acetic acid) and does not remove waxes. Of couirse, a vinegar solution is also useful in dissolving calcium deposits (the crusty stuff in the ring of the spot).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I had waterspots on mine because I did like above and washed in the sun on a hot day. spots were stubborn. I ended up washing in garage (or shade if you can) with Dawn dishwashing soap to get rid of older wax and it removed most of the spots. the rest I used white viniger and rewashed. all spots gone. I now wash and like above, keey the car wet while washing and then move into garage to dry before spots have a chance.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
first of all.....you bought a black car...it will show everything....thats why i dont buy dark colored cars.. if you would have bought a light colored car you probably wouldnt be complaining

your water could be hard....and it could be mineral deposits...are you on a well????

i use soft/hot water to wash mine....works great in the winter....if you dont have a HOT hosebib hire a plumber to put one in...i love it

Zaino system...look into it....works great....its an investment if you buy everything.....but it makes a huge difference

dont clay bar a new car!!!....ive seen a few posts where they scratched it all up......its a new car...it doesnt need it...yea you'd get some debris off the car, but is a few spec's worth the risk?

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you are afraid to use wax and clay bars just yet (as was I), try using:

- Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner to wash the car (this may actually get the spots off)
- then use large chamois to get the water off (don't drag it just absorb the water)
- then use large microfiber towels to completely remove the left over water after the chamois
- use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray with two microfiber towels (it is safe for decals)

No spots and the car will look showroom. You probably don't need to clay your car just yet as there will hardly be any contaminants.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
dont clay bar a new car!!!....ive seen a few posts where they scratched it all up......its a new car...it doesnt need it...yea you'd get some debris off the car, but is a few spec's worth the risk?
Actually you should... The clay removes surface contaminants that are there from the ride to the dealership. All kinds of crap gets picked up including rail dust. If this is not removed pronto, it will bloom into rust spots.

Granted yours may not have the issue but this is something you would rather be safe than sorry on. If they scratched the car with a clay bar, they did it wrong. I recently clayed my front bumper for preparation of a clear bra. I simply did it the same time I washed with my Z7 and it worked out well as the Z7 is a pretty good lubricant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts