Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the auto wash today, not something I usually do, but 6$ wash is pretty good and cheap considering I just needed to get some bird stuff and dust off my car.
I pull around to vacuum and wipe down the car and kinda wipe over the body to get rid of water droplets left from the wash. I noticed on my hood I have these markings.. almost as if a bug was left on the hood too long.. I don't usually have the just sitting outside. It's under a Carport mostly until I go to work at night..
I did notice it takes ALOT of rubbing to get rid of the marks. There not everywhere but just in certain spots.. is there anything I could do to maybe not use as much elbow grease? Haha. And what soap does everyone recommend

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ll have to say, no to auto washes unless you don’t care about adding swirls that includes the self wash stations unless you’re using your own mitt and not the brush available.

That out of the way, bird droppings and bug guts left on the paint for too long will eventually etch into the clear which means the only way to remove is by compounding.

Soaps that I recommend for maintenance wash is Meguiars Gold Class, it’s just a solid soap at a great price. If that doesn’t remove it you could try using Purple Power Heavy Duty soap, which is not PH balanced so it will remove any protection but might be able to remove the baked on droppings (do not use this soap as maintenance it will eventually break down paint and trim if used too often) After I would clay the area, and follow up with at least a polish and the protect.

If you ever come across bird poop or bug guts early enough a simple detail spray or no rinse spray and wipe will be all you need to remove it quickly.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Bird droppings are dangerous for your finish if left on the surface for long periods of time, especially in the sun. Because birds urinate at the same time so its like acid or something. I've seen ghost stains that can't be removed unless you use a compound. Best to not park under trees......:cool:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts
Birds don't have separate poop and pee, it's all in one, lol. It's Uric Acid, and it's nasty stuff. Always clean it when you see it. You can spray water, detailing spray, etc. on a paper towel and let it sit a while. Wipe off carefully, as bird poop is also often gritty as birds eat gritty stuff to aid in breaking down the food.

The longer it stays on the car, the worse it gets, so even if it's been a day, remove it once you see it. A good coat of wax or coating can help, but even they will get etched if it's left

A Guy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate it guys. I usually drive the car at night, so bugs are the biggest issue. I do however usually spray the car down when I get home. For some reason our water hose is hooked up to.the hot water supply instead of the cold one. Haha. But it works fairly good to get off the bugs. I do try and atleast take a mesh type of bug pad thing and get the bugs off with. As far as parking under trees, it's rare. I usually will only do it if I have to.park in direct sunlight. Mainly to keep interior cooler, but also to try and keep the sun off the paint.. I had a 99 Chrysler 300m that basically had paint cancer. I even tried to wax that thing as much as I could.. didn't help. So my only other option was to protect this paint as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts