Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So after spending my first weekend with my car, i've noticed the 392 has a pretty high operating temperature. On previous vehicles i've hosed down engines before without even a worry, but considering this thing is my baby i'm paranoid about cracking the block or some other type of damage. Any know if it's safe to wash your engine at all?.

·
Administrator
3,747 Posts
I've done mine lots of times without issue in all my engine bays. I don't recommend high pressure hosing off especially around the electronics though. I use a foam gun to apply car wash soap and go over everything with a horse hair brush. I take the nozzle off my hose and just sheet the soap off.

Bernie

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done mine lots of times without issue in all my engine bays. I don't recommend high pressure hosing off especially around the electronics though. I use a foam gun to apply car wash soap and go over everything with a horse hair brush. I take the nozzle off my hose and just sheet the soap off.

Bernie

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
This is good to know!. After putting 1000 km on my car in 2 days (i discovered i have a new addiction) its covered in dead bugs. Soooo off the the car wash tonight, but then that got me thinking about the scenario i described above. If i cracked that block i swear id just die lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have no worries about cracking your block. Temp would have to be high enough to cause grave damage to the inner workings first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you guys hose off the engine bay is there anything you need to cover up with a bag or something?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Hey guys,

So after spending my first weekend with my car, i've noticed the 392 has a pretty high operating temperature. On previous vehicles i've hosed down engines before without even a worry, but considering this thing is my baby i'm paranoid about cracking the block or some other type of damage. Any know if it's safe to wash your engine at all?.
Common sense (which I recognize you're using by asking the question) would suggest not hosing down your engine immediately after a prolonged use; cold water on hot metal isn't productive. That said, as others have responded, you're not really risking anything giving your engine bay a wash with a low power stream of water.

Some detailing tips I've learned recently are:
Spray Mequiars Hot Foam tire cleaner on your base metal parts; it's been described as just spray on, let it foam up, then wipe off. It really does make your alternator housing shine.
Use Avaon's "Skin So Soft" on your plastic parts (can also use the Hot Foam). It restores and protects the plastic. Only issue I have with this is the fragrance.

When you guys hose off the engine bay is there anything you need to cover up with a bag or something?
As a precaution, wrap your fuse box with plastic if using a hose or low pressure power washer (or even a heavily dripping sponge). Also, if you have anodized engine bay "bling", make sure anything you spray on to cut grease, road salt, etc you immediately wipe off. I made the mistake of allowing a road salt cleaner to sit too long on an anodized piece and it faded the finish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got my 2015 R/T 5.7 back from the dealer. I had a check engine light come on 7 days ago. I took it into the dealer and the service person read the code - #5 cylinder misfire. The check engine light came on at start up first thing that morning. I drove the car during the week and at 70mph it ran smooth. Yesterday when I went to start it, the check engine light was off. I took it in as scheduled this morning to have it checked. The dealer mechanic couldn't find anything apparent. He decided to swap coil packs between #5 and #7 cylinders. When he removed it from #5, there was a small amount of water puddled where it slips unto the spark plugs. He dried it up, did the swap, and no codes or misfire. He wondered if I wash down the engine with a hose, which I do not. He looked for water deposits and didn't find any to indicate water puddling in that hole from water spray. All we could figure out is the water came from condensation. I open the hood after parking it in the garage to let it cool down faster, even in cold weather. Anyway, if I ever clean the engine with a hose, I'll be sure to dry all the coil pack holes before starting. Does this seem plausible? He also told me that the computer will check the codes every start after the code appears. If it doesn't see the same problem, after so many starts, it resets the computer codes. It just so happened in my case to be 7 days later, it reset the code. Does this sound right?
Terry

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just wipe everything down with a damp rag.

After you wash your car just use a small towel to wipe up all the excess water in the jambs and on the motor..Use a little waterless car wash if you want.

In my opinion no need to hose anything off.

Ive got 27k miles in 2 years on mine and it looks new, and thats all I do.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts