Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty cool that the heat extractors (vents) are actually functions Le on these cars, but when washing, doesn't water spray get into the engine bay and make a mess? What do you guys do to avoid this? Thanx! Just got a new Scat 5 days ago, love it!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,424 Posts
Your hose spray makes no more of a mess than rain while driving. Don't over think it.

Since I'm anal about detailing my car, cleaning under the hood is the last step that I do every time I wash my car. I wipe any suds off, and dry all the edges to prevent water spots.

Simply try not to spray directly into the vents. If you have an exposed air filter, you can simply lay a microfiber towel over it while spraying the exterior to keep any water off.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
My 2020 Scat Pack has the rather open hood (very similar to what my 2018 Hellcat had). I also owned another car that had a very open engine cover -- it was louvered. What I do when washing these cars with openings in the hood/engine cover is avoid spraying any more water at the openings that absolutely necessary to rinse away the soap. And it doesn't take much water to rinse away the soap.

A bit of water of course goes through the vent opening but I have looked and it falls on relatively benign areas of the engine compartment. I don't really worry about it.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Yes, for Shaker cars, there is a drain in the support pan for the Shaker Hood. Still, I try to avoid spraying directly into the hood.
It's pretty cool that the heat extractors (vents) are actually functions Le on these cars, but when washing, doesn't water spray get into the engine bay and make a mess? What do you guys do to avoid this? Thanx! Just got a new Scat 5 days ago, love it!
Congrats on the new ride.
Pics or it doesn't exist! LOL! (y);)

·
Premium Member
2014 Srt8 392 M6
21 Posts
Your hose spray makes no more of a mess than rain while driving. Don't over think it.

Since I'm anal about detailing my car, cleaning under the hood is the last step that I do every time I wash my car. I wipe any suds off, and dry all the edges to prevent water spots.

Simply try not to spray directly into the vents. If you have an exposed air filter, you can simply lay a microfiber towel over it while spraying the exterior to keep any water off.

View attachment 1030958
Dam dude that looks so clean . Really nice job with everything

·
Registered
17 Posts
I lay a towel across the engine bay under the fresh air vents and close the hood, then wash the car. When I am finished washing, I raise the hood and remove the towel. Stays nice and dry that way. 0.02...

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger SXT
1 Posts
Unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do to prevent soap and water from entering your engine bay via the heat extractors. It’s always good practice to wipe down your engine bay after each wash anyway to keep it looking pristine. If you have an exposed air intake filter, be sure to cover it with a towel or bag before washing!

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,418 Posts
water entering the heat exchangers is not an issue.
If you dont care for the resulting water spots, etc ...open the hood and hit it with a leaf blower.
I use one to do the fwd door jambs, trunk edges, wiper arm panel, grill, and other places too tight or recessed to really get a rag on.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser
1 - 13 of 13 Posts