Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These images are large yes, but the damage from the FACTORY is even larger. My dealership wont follow through and let the company know that the factory foam that is being installed as "sound deadening foam insulating" in our cars are a ticking rust bomb issue. I have a 2009 challenger R/T that has been used as a DD. This vehicle is not garage kept.

I spoke to multiple reps from Dodge/Chrysler as well as my own dealership whom I purchased the car from brand new off the truck with 1 mile on the odometer.. Each one of the representatives i have spoken to has commented on the issue and I was told that rust on a car this old is common.... 8 years old and seeing severe rocker panel rust is common. So if you own a challenger that is less than 10 years old expect the bottom to rust out from under you fairly quickly.

These are all from the PASSENGER SIDE rocker from the REAR wheel to little over half way to the front. The driver side is just as bad. I know there are multiple threads about this issue, but I hope Dodge/Chrysler will continue to produce awesome products for us to consume, but note that this issue is easily fixed by not spraying a barrier that will hold moisture in and continue to help those whom are able to receive help via the less than XX year or XX mile policy that they choose to implement.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
These images are large yes, but the damage from the FACTORY is even larger. My dealership wont follow through and let the company know that the factory foam that is being installed as "sound deadening foam insulating" in our cars are a ticking rust bomb issue. I have a 2009 challenger R/T that has been used as a DD. This vehicle is not garage kept.

I spoke to multiple reps from Dodge/Chrysler as well as my own dealership whom I purchased the car from brand new off the truck with 1 mile on the odometer.. Each one of the representatives i have spoken to has commented on the issue and I was told that rust on a car this old is common.... 8 years old and seeing severe rocker panel rust is common. So if you own a challenger that is less than 10 years old expect the bottom to rust out from under you fairly quickly.

These are all from the PASSENGER SIDE rocker from the REAR wheel to little over half way to the front. The driver side is just as bad. I know there are multiple threads about this issue, but I hope Dodge/Chrysler will continue to produce awesome products for us to consume, but note that this issue is easily fixed by not spraying a barrier that will hold moisture in and continue to help those whom are able to receive help via the less than XX year or XX mile policy that they choose to implement.
It's a shame FCA seems uninterested in resolving it & owners apparently have come to accept it. :slant:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
Worst thing they could of done was adding that foam. I don't care if it is closed cell foam...it acts as a rag. My 2015 saw one season of midwest winter and there rust on spot welds and under paint on the cradles. My wife's 2013 GC has seen 4 years of salty roads and only spots that have minor surface rust are the driveshaft and other unpainted components.

Wonder if it is possible to dissolve the foam out without messing up the paint? Kind of like dissolving ABS with acetone.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Doesn't Tennessee use a salt brine on their roads for snow / ice conditions?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yes they do. And it's worse than granular salt. My truck is so ate up with rust underneath you'd think it came from up north. No reason it should have that much living down here with the little bit we get.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
It would be interesting to know if modern Challengers in salt regions are rusting sooner, about the same or later than their 1970's counterparts.
I believe that even with the salt, it should be later, because there should be improvements in protection.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
It's a shame FCA seems uninterested in resolving it & owners apparently have come to accept it. :slant:

I agree completely. What should happen is there should be a Class Action lawsuit against FCA with the settlement
being that they remove the foam from ALL Challengers they've produced. I'm sure the fire under their butt would
make them find a convenient and quick way to remove the foam without hacking everyone's cars apart. And then
we could all rest easy knowing that we weren't blatantly sold a ticking rustbomb.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

Any pics of the finished repairs? How was the repair process? I assume you like the idea of keeping this car long term since you've had it so long already.

·
Registered
865 Posts
2quick, take a hunk of the foam & drop it in a small glass of gasoline (seriously). When I was a kid, we used to dissolve styrofoam in gasoline - it would foam away to sludge in seconds. Let's see if this factory foam dissolves. And I fully agree, Brampton should STOP with the foam sound deadener right away! Total moisture trap!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree, this may have potentially serious consequences regarding rust and rot. Has anyone directly confronted Dodge on this? Not a dealer, the manufacturer. If so, what was their response to the concern?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree, Brampton should STOP with the foam sound deadener right away! Total moisture trap!

I was under the impression they had already stopped- a friend who has been a Chrysler tech for years thought they'd done away with it because of known issues and warranty claims with rust. He's not a body man, but in the past has seen a number of older Challengers (in the St Louis area) come in after a few years with this issue. He said he hasn't seen a Challenger with rot "in a long time."

I'm looking to order a 2018 and it will see at least some winter use. Here in Chicagoland the roads are white all winter long...from dried salt crust as much as snow. If the foam is gone, I'll consider a treatment- either and oil film or something like Waxoyl sprayed in cavities. My concern would be the possibility of any material trapping moisture and accelerating corrosion.

I had a 2014 Town & Country that had paint bubbles and perforating corrosion on the lip of the hood. Rust in general is a rare thing on late model cars (though I seem to see a lot of rusty Korean vehicles) but these stories are not very encouraging. Hopefully it's not a Chrysler trait.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 17' and live in Vermont which does use the salt bring. I don't drive my Challenger from November to April and keep it stored indoors, but would still like to learn more about this. I park my car outside in the summer often and drive in the rain.

Can someone please post if they find what year Dodge STOPPED using the foam? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they corrected this with the 2015 refresh. I know they corrected the wavy rear quarter panels. If you look down the side of an '08-'14 Challenger you'll see they all have these vertical dent/waves in them like chop marks going down the quarters. Can be hard to see with some colors or in some lighting but its always there. A PDR guy that fixed mine on my 2013 said they all have them and since then I've noticed them on every pre-'15 Challenger I've seen. I've never seen it on a 2015 and up Challenger. Dodge paid to have mine fixed along with the "roof dents" and said it was a known issue.

I'm hoping they did the same with the rockers as well. I know I've never heard of a '15 and up Challenger having these rust issues.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they corrected this with the 2015 refresh. I know they corrected the wavy rear quarter panels. If you look down the side of an '08-'14 Challenger you'll see they all have these vertical dent/waves in them like chop marks going down the quarters. Can be hard to see with some colors or in some lighting but its always there. A PDR guy that fixed mine on my 2013 said they all have them and since then I've noticed them on every pre-'15 Challenger I've seen. I've never seen it on a 2015 and up Challenger. Dodge paid to have mine fixed along with the "roof dents" and said it was a known issue.

I'm hoping they did the same with the rockers as well. I know I've never heard of a '15 and up Challenger having these rust issues.
I got news for you, my 2016 is not only wavier in the quarters than my 2012, but the doors have waves as well. Basically oil canning in the sheetmetal once welded onto the sub structures. I'll guarantee the skins do not come out of the dies like this. If the sheetmetal was a thicker gauge, this probably would not be the case. I still love the new Challengers though.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I got news for you, my 2016 is not only wavier in the quarters than my 2012, but the doors have waves as well. Basically oil canning in the sheetmetal once welded onto the sub structures. I'll guarantee the skins do not come out of the dies like this. If the sheetmetal was a thicker gauge, this probably would not be the case. I still love the new Challengers though.
That's too bad, your's is the first I've heard of. I've had 3 post '15 Challengers and all have been straight and I've checked every new Challenger (when I think of it) and never seen the waves like the '08-'14 cars. I suppose there are always a few. Most are much better now at least.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's too bad, your's is the first I've heard of. I've had 3 post '15 Challengers and all have been straight and I've checked every new Challenger (when I think of it) and never seen the waves like the '08-'14 cars. I suppose there are always a few. Most are much better now at least.
Howd you get dodge to fix the roof dents, i had no idea it was a known factory issue

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Howd you get dodge to fix the roof dents, i had no idea it was a known factory issue
Google Challenger roof dents... I worked through corporate and got their info from the dealership. Sorry, don't have it anymore. Perhaps Dodge Cares on this forum.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Sorry can you take a picture of the car and point out exactly where this is for me? 8 year old 6.1 that lived half its life in the desert now the nasty south in GA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
MuscleCarProf 2015s still use foam. Took off the bottom door sill trim when I modified my footwell LEDs and you can see the foam in the slots where the trim clips.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts