Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start prepping my trunk for sound deadening and was stripping the liner and went to pull the Styrofoam piece where the spare tire should be and noticed about half an inch of water was accumulated at the bottom. Does anyone know where this could have come from? I'm worried about a leak now. Has anyone experienced this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Wow, I'll be checking mine for any issues. Thanks for sharing and sorry about your trunk. I would find the source and get it fixed ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Water leaks are hard to find, I used to fix them when I was a tech. Are any of the panels wet? Is the carpet wet? That will give you a clue where its coming from. If no, pull all the panels out of the trunk and have someone run water over the car. Pay close attention to the rear window, trunk seal, where the tail lights seal to the body.

Good luck.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No indication of where it came from. I pulled it up as im about to do audio installation. I'm kinda nervous to be running aftermarket stereo equipment with potential water leaks...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the same thing happen, It was my rear tail light was leaking around the seal. I had the dealership replace a burnt out tail light bulb and they did not get it tighten down correctly.They had to clean the trunk pan and re-seal it so I would not have a rusting problem down the road. Replaced the battery tray and cables also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to start prepping my trunk for sound deadening and was stripping the liner and went to pull the Styrofoam piece where the spare tire should be and noticed about half an inch of water was accumulated at the bottom. Does anyone know where this could have come from? I'm worried about a leak now. Has anyone experienced this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've got the same issue only I haven't seen that much water in my trunk...I have a 2012 rt classic I bought new..well one day I take the spare out and I see a little spot of water about the size of a small spill from a glass of water...went to see the dealer and yes this is something they've seen before,and like one poster said the dealership mentioned the tail lights....something that had to do with it...I checked again and I havent seen any water there again.But this is some thing dodge is aware of...

·
Registered
148 Posts
RE: LEAK IN TRUNK:
You could empty the trunk, grab a hose, a friend and a flashlight, then you get in the trunk with the flashlight while you friend hoses down the car around the trunk seals and lights. Be sure to spray water around the bottom of the trunk too as there is a lot of sealant used in that area when the car was built and one mistake could lead to a leak.

Best of Luck finding it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts