Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16’ challenger SRT 392. There’s a little puddle of water leaking from under my car after I got done driving it. if you go under the car where the passenger side mirror is there is water dripping, the water is clear, it’s not oily or coolant. I had the AC on and I think it’s just condensation but I’m not very car savvy so I was hoping I can get a second opinion TIA.

Red Black Light Darkness Snapshot
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system
Vehicle door

Vehicle door Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle
Auto part Automotive exterior Engine Automotive engine part Metal

The white and pink stuff was already there.

·
Registered
356 Posts
looks like condensation, fluids are colored and oily to the touch

·
Registered
690 Posts
If it's on the passenger side by the firewall it's the ac evaporator

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
It is condensation from the air conditioning.

If you really want to confirm, taste a drop. It will be immediately obvious if this is coolant or some other liquid. It is not colored like coolant is. Brake fluid is the only other clear liquid - and it often doesn't stay that way. Plus it is oily to the touch, unlike water. And water will evaporate.

Kudos for being observant to what is happening under the vehicle. That alone sends you to the front of the class for car owners. :)

-Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also doesn’t really have a smell.

Really appreciate all the replies.🙏🙏

Y’all were a big help!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,195 Posts
It also doesn’t really have a smell.

Really appreciate all the replies.🙏🙏

Y’all were a big help!
As others have offered most likely condensation from the A/C evaporator. With the A/C running this condenses a "ton" of water which runs down into a catch basin which has a hose which takes the water down under the car.

Might add the obvious that in areas with high humidity the "ton" of water can be "two tons".

The reason I'm covering this is I wanted to impress upon you to consider before you put the car away for the day to turn off the A/C but let the cabin vent fan run. Do this a few miles from your destination.

This gives the A/C air ducting system time to "dry out". If the car is put away "wet" this can result in mold and mildew taking "root" on the evaporator. The car's cabin vent system can develop a sour/moldy odor that is hard to eliminate.

Also, it is very important to if the car is equipped with a cabin air filter to change this regularly. How often depends upon where you live and the air quality. In some areas the air is very clear and the filter collects little in the way of dirt.

In other areas it can get darn near full in one day.

For instance a day driving on I-20 west across Texas with a huge cold front moving in and strong winds kicking up mini dust storms off and on all the way across west Texas. Warm and windy and dusty leaving Dallas/Ft Worth. But cold and snowing when I pulled into a gas station where I-20 and I-10 join some (roughly) 100 miles east of El Paso.

Even if the filter doesn't get loaded up with dust (and tire dust here I live where traffic is so heavy) it still can develop a foul odor over time.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,756 Posts
Look for a tube on the passenger side of the trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts