Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting on a hydro-hp water methanol kit. The placement of my nozzle is at the 3" mark from the throttle body like the instructions say. My IAT sensor is at about 3.5" from the throttle body. the nozzle has about an 80 degree spray pattern. I know some water meth is going to hit that sensor when its spraying. Has anyone had any experience with this happening. If meth hits that sensor is it going to be a problem? Its tough to move that sensor unless I cut the harness which I don't want to do. Help from people have used water meth would be helpful. As it stands right now I think I'm going to try it and see if I get codes and stuff like that coming on.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
I'm in the process of putting on a hydro-hp water methanol kit. The placement of my nozzle is at the 3" mark from the throttle body like the instructions say. My IAT sensor is at about 3.5" from the throttle body. the nozzle has about an 80 degree spray pattern. I know some water meth is going to hit that sensor when its spraying. Has anyone had any experience with this happening. If meth hits that sensor is it going to be a problem? Its tough to move that sensor unless I cut the harness which I don't want to do. Help from people have used water meth would be helpful. As it stands right now I think I'm going to try it and see if I get codes and stuff like that coming on.
If the water solution hits the sensor, it might give produce a false reading in your tune. The IAT sensor is telling your tune what the intake air is at and you artificially cool it down with the spray, it could cause problems.

I think that if it is telling your ecm that the IAT's are lower than they really are, it might add some timing and the problems may begin if you don't have the proper fuel to add too. The good thing is that with it showing more air coming in, it should add more fuel too. Spraying your IAT sensor might also make it fail prematurely too because it's not made for liquids.

If you can do some logging while spraying, that might help. Can you put a different nozzle that sprays less than 80º on it or at minimum, just make sure that your nozzle is spraying in the right direction (draw a mark on the spray side of your nozzle and make sure that it's spraying towards your throttle body)?

Here's where I mounted the Alky Control nozzle on my old Vette. This was before I changed over to an SD tune and got rid of the MAF. The setup was still the same, but the piping was different because of it being MAFless. Either way, it worked like a charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the water solution hits the sensor, it might give produce a false reading in your tune. The IAT sensor is telling your tune what the intake air is at and you artificially cool it down with the spray, it could cause problems.

I think that if it is telling your ecm that the IAT's are lower than they really are, it might add some timing and the problems may begin if you don't have the proper fuel to add too. The good thing is that with it showing more air coming in, it should add more fuel too. Spraying your IAT sensor might also make it fail prematurely too because it's not made for liquids.

If you can do some logging while spraying, that might help. Can you put a different nozzle that sprays less than 80º on it or at minimum, just make sure that your nozzle is spraying in the right direction (draw a mark on the spray side of your nozzle and make sure that it's spraying towards your throttle body)?

Here's where I mounted the Alky Control nozzle on my old Vette. This was before I changed over to an SD tune and got rid of the MAF. The setup was still the same, but the piping was different because of it being MAFless. Either way, it worked like a charm.

My setup is similar right now in nozzle placement to yours only the nozzle and IAT sensor are only separated by about .5 inch or so. I'm wondering if the water meth will even hit it due to the amount of air being pushed down those pipes. When its boosting what are the chances that mist can flow even 1/4 inch upstream? That's why I'm not sure about it right now. I think I'm going to give it a try the way I have it and see if it works.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
Just wondering why would you have to cut the IAT harness? A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
My setup is similar right now in nozzle placement to yours only the nozzle and IAT sensor are only separated by about .5 inch or so. I'm wondering if the water meth will even hit it due to the amount of air being pushed down those pipes. When its boosting what are the chances that mist can flow even 1/4 inch upstream? That's why I'm not sure about it right now. I think I'm going to give it a try the way I have it and see if it works.
With the nozzle being that close to the sensor, the only issue might come if you're spraying meth while coming off the throttle and you get some intake reversion (blow back or something like that) because the air slows down or hits a closed throttle blade. The good thing is that's what a blow off valve is for. and gets rid of that before it hits your sensor.

I'm just speculating though.

If it doesn't work and takes out your IAT sensor, then you know that you have to do something about it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I moved the nozzle. I drilled and tapped the throttle body spacer that was on the car. I know thats where the snow systems mount he nozzle on the hemi specific kits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the best way to start the methanol at 3 psi and the maximum at 5 psi? using a Procharger?
Thank you

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
Here's some Great information that Julio has about his Meth injection systems. This is the setup that was on my old C5 Vette and it worked Great!

He has forgotten probably more than most people know on the subject of methanol injection.

https://www.alkycontrol.com/faq

·
Registered
102 Posts
What is the best way to start the methanol at 3 psi and the maximum at 5 psi? using a Procharger?
Thank you
Not sure what’s comes with your setup, but you would need a boost referenced progressive controller with it. I know a couple of manufactures have them, including Snow, Alky Control, Devil’s Own, and Coolingmist. I’m sure there’s others out there.

For what it’s worth, I’m running Alky Control for mine, and it seems to work pretty darn good. That’s with a twin screw though, so I’m hoping someone else that’s run it with a centri can chime in.

For the application (large displacement V8,) the research I’ve come across suggests strongly that a progressive setup is most applicable due to the broader swing in fueling requirements. Greater difference between idle, part throttle, and WOT than say, an in-line four making 300-350 hp on 10 lbs of boost. What I’m gettin at there, is that the total volume of mixture changes more significantly in terms of the weight of fuel injected to get government the same AFR, and that the amount of water/meth ratio on a static “on/off” setup will vary not in the amount of output, but in a greater ratio to the rest of the air/fuel charge going into the engine.

If anyone is considering addin w/m, or straight methanol, it has been worth it for me to have some piece of mind knowing that it’s bein added progressively, and that’s it can be recalibrated later for increased boost. Likewise, that I can tune for it on one setting for a pulley swap, and then adjust some knobs, swap a pulley back on, and load a saner street tune without a whole ton of work.

Cheers,

Chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts