Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

Registered
I just put in water pump #4 on my 16 Scat Pack Shaker, first 3 were done under warranty by the dealer with under 50K miles, bearing on all 3 pumps went out. I replaced the water pump, thermostat and serpentine belt all at once since I was there. One big thing I noticed was that my serpentine belt had 5.7 printed on it and the one I received from Rock Auto was about an inch to inch and a half longer and the original belt was still tight with the tensioner pulley pulled back to slack the belt. It made me wonder if that has been the problem with the bearings the entire time, to much tension from the belt 馃馃馃
I also replaced the belt after the first water pump replacement but didn't notice any difference in the belt size or tension. We need to keep an eye on this "Interesting"

Registered
My 2015 is about up in it's warranty and parked for the winter. What is the best replacement pump? Should I have on on my shelf for "stand by"? 10k miles on it.
I do not want to do this more than once.

Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
I think the 5.7 and 6.4 run the same belt (53013676AC). The Gates equivalent is K060820 which is an 82.5 in belt but if you look at equivalent belts from other suppliers the effective belt length can vary +/-0.5 in. I would like to know what a new factory belt measures in at?

Now I am running a SC with a thump racing tensioner (i.e. belt has a lot of tension on it) for over a year and so far my RockAuto replacement pump is holding up. Before that I ran a dayco tensioner with the SC and noticed the impeller started to leave marks on the pump housing which is why I replaced it just before I installed the thump racing version. The funny thing is I replace the pump on my challenger and my JGC 5.7 at roughly the same time and my JGC pump (both were replaced with rockauto brand pump) is starting to make the "frog croaking" noise again which usually is a sign the pump might be going. Although I have not heard the noise since the outside temps got colder.

Registered
The water pump in my 2015 SRT Challenger failed on Tuesday --- at 15,575 miles. Fortunately, I have 5 weeks remaining in the original factory warranty.

Mine wasn't a pin hole. The bearings failed and it gushed coolant in a catastrophic fashion and soaked everything in the engine bay.

Kudos to the dealer. My car arrived via flatbed at about 3:30pm on Tuesday and was ready for pickup by about 3:00pm the next day.
Bearing failure....that seems to be the culprit in most of these failures...it is what took mine out too ...

41 - 48 of 48 Posts