Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my water pump making an abnormal noise on my 2016 SRT 392 and found out that failed water pumps are a common issue on these cars. I only have 25,000 miles on the car so that's mildly concerning. Good thing I got an extended warranty.

Why is this an issue on these 392's? Is it the design of the pump itself, or is it just that some were defective? If it's the design, does anyone make a better designed replacement?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine went at 13k on my Scat Pack. My research leads me to believe that the water pump design is subpar. I also read it’s the same pump on the 5.7. Mine never leaked but had a terrible grinding noise. Cover under factory warranty. Hope FCA looks at the design of said water pump. I posted a thread a while back and had several owners with a bad water pump way to soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine went at 13k on my Scat Pack. My research leads me to believe that the water pump design is subpar. I also read it’s the same pump on the 5.7. Mine never leaked but had a terrible grinding noise. Cover under factory warranty. Hope FCA looks at the design of said water pump. I posted a thread a while back and had several owners with a bad water pump way to soon.

Gotcha. So I should just keep replacing it with the standard FCA part under warranty? No better alternative?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have no knowledge of a better pump that the FCA replacement at this time. I may buy an extended warranty just because some owner went through more than one with cars under 50k. May have been a bad run of pumps but my car is a 2017 and your car is a 2016. One owner who is a mechanic said it’s a common issue and claims the pump is a poor design. Hope my new one lasts longer. I have 9 months of warranty left so may buy the Mopar extended warranty as one water pump failure will pay for itself. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The GATES Brand of pump is lifetime warrenty
Limited life time warranty.

From Gates:

Limited Warranty for the Life of the Merchandise

Goods are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for the life of the Goods (or the published recommended replacement interval specified by Gates). Gates will replace or repair, at its option, any Goods proved defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period. This is the sole remedy for breach of warranty. Color fade and color difference is not warranted. This warranty is void if the defect is caused by improper installation, use or maintenance of the Goods, or used for racing or competition. Goods are not warranted to comply with laws that may apply to use of the Goods not stated in related materials, e.g., use in manned or unmanned aviation or life support applications.

ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. FAILURE TO REPLACE TIMING BELTS OR OTHER GATES PRODUCTS AS SPECIFIED MAY RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC ENGINE OR EQUIPMENT DAMAGE. FOR WHICH GATES DISCLAIMS ALL RESPONSIBILITY, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.This publication contains the latest information available to our engineers. If you require additional application or part number information, contact the Automotive Product Application Tech Line at 303-744-5651.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I noticed my water pump making an abnormal noise on my 2016 SRT 392 and found out that failed water pumps are a common issue on these cars. I only have 25,000 miles on the car so that's mildly concerning. Good thing I got an extended warranty.

Why is this an issue on these 392's? Is it the design of the pump itself, or is it just that some were defective? If it's the design, does anyone make a better designed replacement?
Water pumps can fail at any mileage. Granted 25K miles ain't that many miles. A premature failure like this suggests a bad pump. A manufacturing problem. (A side effect of car makers always seeking to cut costs. Sometimes the penny pinching bites the car maker and its customers on the ass.)

My best advice is just get a Dodge water pump and T-stat installed. Have the coolant replaced with fresh coolant. Then every 4 years or so replace the coolant. This is what I have done for like ever. (Shortly after buying my first car this is what my auto tech buddies recommended.) The first water pump I had to replace in a car I bought new was at 172K miles.

The odds are the replacement pump will last way past/beyond 25K miles.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gotcha. So I should just keep replacing it with the standard FCA part under warranty? No better alternative?
I wondered the same thing when I replaced mine...
Everybody says to make sure to replace with oem part....I ask...why?
If they suck, why would I do that...?

I have a friend that manages the local Autozone and he was telling me that when Autozone remans a part they try to improve them...

I can tell you for a fact that what failed in mine was the front bearing...I could actually see the balls floating around the shaft in the front...
So I looked at theirs and sure enough...that entire front housing around said bearing is larger...more beefy...So I assume the bearing is probably larger and also more beefy...

I went ahead and went with an Autozone replacement after seeing that...

Here's a video of those bearings...

·
Registered
174 Posts

From Gates:

Goods are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for the life of the Goods (or the published recommended replacement interval specified by Gates). Gates will replace or repair, at its option, any Goods proved defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period. This is the sole remedy for breach of warranty. Color fade and color difference is not warranted. This warranty is void if the defect is caused by improper installation, use or maintenance of the Goods, or used for racing or competition. Goods are not warranted to comply with laws that may apply to use of the Goods not stated in related materials, e.g., use in manned or unmanned aviation or life support applications.

ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. FAILURE TO REPLACE TIMING BELTS OR OTHER GATES PRODUCTS AS SPECIFIED MAY RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC ENGINE OR EQUIPMENT DAMAGE. FOR WHICH GATES DISCLAIMS ALL RESPONSIBILITY, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.This publication contains the latest information available to our engineers. If you require additional application or part number information, contact the Automotive Product Application Tech Line at 303-744-5651.
It will fail in the same way...just because it comes with a great warranty does not make it better...
The front bearing design is the problem and I may be wrong but I don't think Gates addressed that...
It seems as tho I have seen on this forum where lots of those also failed prematurely...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
It will fail in the same way...just because it comes with a great warranty does not make it better...
The front bearing design is the problem and I may be wrong but I don't think Gates addressed that...
It seems as tho I have seen on this forum where lots of those also failed prematurely...
Was not advocating the use of a Gates water pump, was just shedding some light on the warranty Gates offers. Really no better or worse than what Dodge I believe offers on a replacement water pump.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I wondered the same thing when I replaced mine...
Everybody says to make sure to replace with oem part....I ask...why?
If they suck, why would I do that...?

I have a friend that manages the local Autozone and he was telling me that when Autozone remans a part they try to improve them...

I can tell you for a fact that what failed in mine was the front bearing...I could actually see the balls floating around the shaft in the front...
So I looked at theirs and sure enough...that entire front housing around said bearing is larger...more beefy...So I assume the bearing is probably larger and also more beefy...

I went ahead and went with an Autozone replacement after seeing that...

Here's a video of those bearings...
So Autozone has an expert on Dodge water pumps? GM water pumps? Ford water pumps? And every other brand of car water pump it sells? And has the facilities for testing and evaluating all these pumps?

Probably not.

Most likely then just buys a water pump probably from the same maker as Dodge. But rather than getting the OE water pump it gets the OEM version.

No experience with Autozone but over the years while there are exceptions an aftermarket/OEM water pump is no better than the factory and in some cases worse. (Chances are too what Autozone sells other auto parts stores also sell. Not like there is an Autozone only water pump maker, a Napa only water pump maker, an O'Reilly only water pump maker, a Walmart water pump maker, and so on.

My limited experience is when treated right -- periodic replacement of the coolant which helps ensure the water pump seals remain good longer which means the bearings remain good longer -- factory water pumps deliver the best service life.

Yeah, I know once in a while there appears to be a run of early/premature water pump failures that can only be explained as a bad batch of water pumps, but a car made in 2015 and one that unfortunately received a water pump from the bad batch should get in 2019 almost 2020 a newer water pump and a better one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So Autozone has an expert on Dodge water pumps? GM water pumps? Ford water pumps? And every other brand of car water pump it sells? And has the facilities for testing and evaluating all these pumps?

Probably not.

Most likely then just buys a water pump probably from the same maker as Dodge. But rather than getting the OE water pump it gets the OEM version.

No experience with Autozone but over the years while there are exceptions an aftermarket/OEM water pump is no better than the factory and in some cases worse. (Chances are too what Autozone sells other auto parts stores also sell. Not like there is an Autozone only water pump maker, a Napa only water pump maker, an O'Reilly only water pump maker, a Walmart water pump maker, and so on.

My limited experience is when treated right -- periodic replacement of the coolant which helps ensure the water pump seals remain good longer which means the bearings remain good longer -- factory water pumps deliver the best service life.

Yeah, I know once in a while there appears to be a run of early/premature water pump failures that can only be explained as a bad batch of water pumps, but a car made in 2015 and one that unfortunately received a water pump from the bad batch should get in 2019 almost 2020 a newer water pump and a better one.
I am just sharing my experience and observations :)

"periodic replacement of the coolant which helps ensure the water pump seals remain good longer which means the bearings remain good longer "
Really...so how often do you replace your coolant...?
IDK know about you guys but I don't replace my coolant every 19K or 20K or even 30K miles...

With all due respect sir :) These shitty factory pumps are failing at 30000 miles and less...I think I saw one on here that failed at 19 miles!...

I don't know about their other parts but I can tell you that the part of the factory pump that failed...the front bearing...is a TON heavier duty than the original upon visual inspection...
THAT is what sold me...

I figured why not give it a try since it is obviously heavier duty than the original...?

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
382 Posts

From Gates:

On forums for over 200 years and EVERYBODY is a mechanic...……...

POINT was only GOD knows what dodge uses for a supplier for their pumps (read secret)

GATES says they made said pump, SAY will stand by it if it takes a shit.

Dealer sticks it to U in every way possible for US NON WARENNTY folks

Will never, ever take a ride to the dealer for repairs on NON warranty………..

From the REAL mechanic
Certified USAF Aerospace Craftsmen
TSgt D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would like to know from people here that has had a factory pump fail...exactly what failed...?
With me it was the front bearing...
Anyone else know what failed in theirs exactly...?

When my front bearing went out it started making grinding noises prior...
Then I smelled the coolant and when I did, I found coolant all around that area...
It puked out the front when the bearings finally let go...

The front bearings on the factory pump are small and wimpy...
I would be willing to bet that most failed in that manner...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would like to know from people here that has had a factory pump fail...exactly what failed...?
With me it was the front bearing...
Anyone else know what failed in theirs exactly...?

When my front bearing went out it started making grinding noises prior...
Then I smelled the coolant and when I did, I found coolant all around that area...
It puked out the front when the bearings finally let go...

The front bearings on the factory pump are small and wimpy...
I would be willing to bet that most failed in that manner...
I went in when the grinding noise started. It never leaked and went at 13k

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes. That was the issue with mine. It was very loud and my guess it would not have been long before it failed. The dealership confirmed it was the bearings in the water pump making all the noise. No issues since.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I am just sharing my experience and observations :)

"periodic replacement of the coolant which helps ensure the water pump seals remain good longer which means the bearings remain good longer "
Really...so how often do you replace your coolant...?
IDK know about you guys but I don't replace my coolant every 19K or 20K or even 30K miles...

With all due respect sir :) These shitty factory pumps are failing at 30000 miles and less...I think I saw one on here that failed at 19 miles!...

I don't know about their other parts but I can tell you that the part of the factory pump that failed...the front bearing...is a TON heavier duty than the original upon visual inspection...
THAT is what sold me...

I figured why not give it a try since it is obviously heavier duty than the original...?
Like I wrote I replace -- well for years have it replaced as I no longer work on my cars -- the coolant every 4 years or so. This is more than every 30K miles, at least with my previous cars. With my previous cars I put 20K miles or more on my cars per year so a 4 year coolant change would have the mileage closer to 80K miles than 30K miles.

Sometimes the change was determined by fate too rather than the calendar. In one case at night I hit some road debris which took out a radiator. The repair consisted of a new radiator and of course new coolant to replace that which ran out the busted radiator.

With all due respect not every pump is failing at 30000 miles or less.

If you want to use an aftermarket water pump by all means go ahead. My 2nd hand info over the years is the aftermarket pumps are no better than the factory and in some cases are inferior. If the water pump in my Hellcat fails I'll stick with a Dodge sourced water pump. If the car is in or out of warranty. I have no desire to use my car to try to find a suitable substitute for a Dodge water pump.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
On forums for over 200 years and EVERYBODY is a mechanic...……...

POINT was only GOD knows what dodge uses for a supplier for their pumps (read secret)

GATES says they made said pump, SAY will stand by it if it takes a shit.

Dealer sticks it to U in every way possible for US NON WARENNTY folks

Will never, ever take a ride to the dealer for repairs on NON warranty………..

From the REAL mechanic
Certified USAF Aerospace Craftsmen
TSgt D
While I have some experience working on cars I never claimed to be a mechanic.

Wonder how you are qualified to speak to automotive water pumps?

(In another career I worked as a journeyman machinist at a certified air craft repair shop.)

How many water pumps have you replaced in USAF air craft? If an item goes bad you just run out and grab something off the shelf cause you know its better than the OE hardware?

It was suggested by some the justification for using a Gates water pump was the warranty was some super duper warranty but it appears to be pretty tame. I pasted the warranty from the Gates site.

If one gets a new Dodge water pump the pump and labor comes with some warranty. At least this was the case with previous brands of cars. 2 years, 24K miles is common. But admittedly I have not yet had my Dodge in for something like a water pump issue in warranty, let alone out of warranty.

Of course it is your car and your decision if you want to take the car to the dealer, an indy shop, or can do whatever needs to be done yourself. And you are free to use whatever parts you want.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts