Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bearing failure at 36k miles on my 2015 RT with 5.7...

After reading a few posts on here I am thinking that Mopar has some serious issues with these pumps with some going bad at 10k miles...
I will replace it myself but am considering not buying a factory pump and would like your opinions....
Maybe a NAPA pump...I don't know....

Opinions please...

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,668 Posts
Have not replaced a water pump in a Dodge since I rebuilt the engine in my D200 pickup way back in the 1970s. But I used a factory water pump. With other vehicles over the years I used the factory pump and T-stat.

More recently with my Porsche cars for both when the time came/the need arose, I had the factory water pump installed.

While it appears that the Dodge water pumps may have had a run of questionable pumps the odds are the replacement pump will be ok and give you good service life.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,873 Posts
Bearing failure at 36k miles on my 2015 RT with 5.7...

After reading a few posts on here I am thinking that Mopar has some serious issues with these pumps with some going bad at 10k miles...
I will replace it myself but am considering not buying a factory pump and would like your opinions....
Maybe a NAPA pump...I don't know....

Opinions please...
Apples to oranges here, but anyway....

If Murray Temperature Control offers a new one, heavily consider one. (O’Reilly Auto Parts)

My OE water pump took a dump at 94k miles on my 2014 RAM 3500 Crew Cab CTD w/6.7L Diesel. The Murray unit went 208k miles, exceeding my expectations.

Since my 2018 RAM 4500 uses the OAT coolant with 10 year/150k mile servicing, I now simply change the water pump every coolant change for peace of mind. As it was convenient at the time, water pump and coolant were changed at 148k miles. The ol’ 4500 is at 160k miles as of today.

Reactions: Okeesignguy
1 - 3 of 3 Posts