Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been seeing a lot of posts about low mileage water pump failures. I just went out and checked mine. No leaks but the pulley and shaft wobble by hand. Calling the dealer Monday, hopefully they'll replace it before it leaves me stranded. Mine's a 2016 with 17k miles and 3 more years warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just to be clear, if the water pump pulley has any play the water pump is bad. The seals can tolerate some play for a while but not for long.

With another brand of car, the time I heard a faint low rumble from what proved to be a bad water pump -- its pulley -- with the belt removed -- had some play -- I didn't drive the car to the dealer -- about 30 miles away -- but instead arranged to get it flat bedded there for a new water pump, T-stat and fresh coolant.

With yet another car when on a hot day I smelled anti-freeze -- but with no noises -- I drove the car around a mile to the dealer where it was quickly lifted up and a failed water pump confirmed. Left the car there to get a new water pump, T-stat, and fresh coolant.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
567 Posts
Been seeing a lot of posts about low mileage water pump failures. I just went out and checked mine. No leaks but the pulley and shaft wobble by hand. Calling the dealer Monday, hopefully they'll replace it before it leaves me stranded. Mine's a 2016 with 17k miles and 3 more years warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bearings in the water pump in my 2015 SRT failed at about 18,000 miles in November of 2018 .... with 5 days left on the 36 month warranty.

Fortunately, it happened while on the highway on a very cool day so there was no over-heating. Just coolant everywhere in the engine bay. A long wait for AAA and a short trip to the dealer and the problem was solved by the end of the next day.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
102 Posts
2016 R/T here, mine didn't go out but for weeks it sounded like something grinding under hood, and it was getting louder, I guessed it was the water pump so i took it to dealer to hear, he said damn!
they put new one on and showed me the old one. Not good! It had around 17,000 miles on it approx. Covered under warranty, and now I'm glad i took the extended factory warranty out on Blue!:sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
15,780 Posts
good catch - a local member had 19k on his 5.7 and mentioned hearing noises. I could move the pulley up / down 1/4" of play. It was no wonder he was hearing noises coming from it.

this was a 2018 5.7 R/T Shaker

·
Registered
432 Posts
No issues with mine. 25500 miles.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
102 Posts
this may be not the right place....but...I've had 3 of these cars...love em!...not all cars are perfect...this is close! i drive blue all year...just keep tank full...lol...over 30,000 miles and still loving it!...and yes i drive it in da snow....it's heavy so go slow!...lol:cool:

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
567 Posts
this may be not the right place....but...I've had 3 of these cars...love em!...not all cars are perfect...this is close! i drive blue all year...just keep tank full...lol...over 30,000 miles and still loving it!...and yes i drive it in da snow....it's heavy so go slow!...lol:cool:
Agreed. I've been very happy with the reliability of all of our Mopars --- '07 Charger R/T, '11 Challenger R/T, '13 Charger R/T, 15 Challenger SRT, and '17 Durango R/T

I had a 2011 Challenger R/T from 2013 to 2016 as my daily driver for 60,000+ miles and only suffered an alternator failure. And I was reimbursed for that when they had the alternator recall.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appointment thursday am. My 2010 R/T still had the original pump at 163k miles....

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
2016 R/T here, mine didn't go out but for weeks it sounded like something grinding under hood, and it was getting louder, I guessed it was the water pump so i took it to dealer to hear, he said damn!
they put new one on and showed me the old one. Not good! It had around 17,000 miles on it approx. Covered under warranty, and now I'm glad i took the extended factory warranty out on Blue!:sneaky:
For the benefit of others I have to stress a water pump making noise or leaking is BAD and needs to be taken care of ASAP.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I had my WP replaced twice. Once at like 27k miles and again like at 59k miles. I'm at 74k miles and will keep an eye on it. Seams to fail at around the 27-30k miles...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I had my WP replaced twice. Once at like 27k miles and again like at 59k miles. I'm at 74k miles and will keep an eye on it. Seams to fail at around the 27-30k miles...
is it a pricy fix? how much is it outta warranty?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Both times it was under warranty. I have an extended MAX warranty from MOPAR for 5 years 125k miles so I'm covered but my understanding it's like $350 with parts.

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
178 Posts
Had my 2015 SP WP (failed bearing) replaced at 16K miles two months ago. It was replaced at no cost under Powertrain Warranty which I probably had only two months remaining.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Geez, you guys have me worried now. My powertrain warranty is up in December. Water Pumps should last longer than 16K. Any idea what brand they are or where they're made? What seems to be the major failure point?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geez, you guys have me worried now. My powertrain warranty is up in December. Water Pumps should last longer than 16K. Any idea what brand they are or where they're made? What seems to be the major failure point?
With the engine off see if your water pump pulley rocks back and forth.

·
Registered
432 Posts
With the engine off see if your water pump pulley rocks back and forth.
So you checked the pulley with the serpentine belt still installed, and you had lot of wobble?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you checked the pulley with the serpentine belt still installed, and you had lot of wobble?
Yes it wobbles with the belt on. I'm sure it will be even worse with the belt off.

·
Super Moderator
15,780 Posts
is it a pricy fix? how much is it outta warranty?
List price is $400 (!) and discounted prices are $278 which is crazy for something as basic as a water pump.

If mine goes out - even though I have the LT / Max Care Warranty - I'll buy a Gates pump (they make new, not rebuilt) for far less money. The water pump is very easy to replace.

The biggest "pain" is removing the spring clamp from the lower radiator hose.

The durability of the FCA pumps seems to be spotty -

Had 1st Challenger with 43k when I sold it, no issues.

And I have 40k on my current Challenger and pulley is tight and works fine.

yet others seem to be that they wear out as quickly as a set of tires.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts