Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just had mine evaluated, and its bad. Part on hand getting ready to be replaced. 25650 miles.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
And then.........one’s Service Advisor requests the customer to leave a good survey.

Sorry......not leaving a good survey for a repair requiring a water pump replacement that required ordering of simple 5.7L or 6.4L water pump.

Some parts department managers are good, most suck, and then there’s those that have their hands tied by upper management.
The survey is specifically for the repair. In my opinion, and I practice what I preach, the repair can get a good survey if the quality of the service to address the repair justifies it even if I am totally pissed the repair needed to be done in the first place.

The fact your car needed the repair is not the fault of the service department, or the dealer, but the factory and probably its lack of sufficient QA with regards to its OE parts suppliers.

In some cases -- at least the surveys I received from Porsche -- there is a section or two that deals with one's opinion of the car and how likely one is to buy another car and how likely one would recommend this car to family/friends.

This is where you let the survey have it with both barrels.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sorry......not leaving a good survey for a repair requiring a water pump replacement that required ordering of simple 5.7L or 6.4L water pump.
I've been selling tractor parts for 34 years. A dealer can't stock every part, it's just not possible or financially smart. We stock parts by demand. If we sell two of one part number a year we don't stock four of that part. Conversely if we sell 50 of something the we'll try to keep a bunch on hand, depending on the part it's usually a 1-2 month supply. Right now this covid crap is messing up supply chains. Our weekly stock orders that used to arrive in 4 days are taking 10-12 days. Lots of parts are on back order. As long as I'm kept informed and treated well I'll give a good survey. I guess working on this side of it gives me a different perspective.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
I've been selling tractor parts for 34 years. A dealer can't stock every part, it's just not possible or financially smart. We stock parts by demand. If we sell two of one part number a year we don't stock four of that part. Conversely if we sell 50 of something the we'll try to keep a bunch on hand, depending on the part it's usually a 1-2 month supply. Right now this covid crap is messing up supply chains. Our weekly stock orders that used to arrive in 4 days are taking 10-12 days. Lots of parts are on back order. As long as I'm kept informed and treated well I'll give a good survey. I guess working on this side of it gives me a different perspective.
Oh....don’t get me wrong, I understand your theory totally.

But a dealer that doesn’t stock one part number for a water pump that covers TWO engines from the 2011 model year through 2019/2020 is simply not acceptable in my book....

We’re talking Challenger, Charger, Durango, and Jeep Grand Cherokee....and we all know how few Grand Cherokees are on the roads.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Oh....don’t get me wrong, I understand your theory totally.

But a dealer that doesn’t stock one part number for a water pump that covers TWO engines from the 2011 model year through 2019/2020 is simply not acceptable in my book....

We’re talking Challenger, Charger, Durango, and Jeep Grand Cherokee....and we all know how few Grand Cherokees are on the roads.
Yeah I get it. I'm gonna ask if it's normal stock and they just ran out. If it isn't normal stock that changes things. It's possible due to the number of failures on this forum alone that they are just out. He says he checked with all the other dealers around and none had one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The survey is specifically for the repair. In my opinion, and I practice what I preach, the repair can get a good survey if the quality of the service to address the repair justifies it even if I am totally pissed the repair needed to be done in the first place.

The fact your car needed the repair is not the fault of the service department, or the dealer, but the factory and probably its lack of sufficient QA with regards to its OE parts suppliers.

In some cases -- at least the surveys I received from Porsche -- there is a section or two that deals with one's opinion of the car and how likely one is to buy another car and how likely one would recommend this car to family/friends.

This is where you let the survey have it with both barrels.
+1000.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I surprised they didn't offer to get you one from NAPA, or the other car parts stores. They're probably better than the OE one we have.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The bearings in the water pump in my 2015 SRT failed at about 18,000 miles in November of 2018 .... with 5 days left on the 36 month warranty.

Fortunately, it happened while on the highway on a very cool day so there was no over-heating. Just coolant everywhere in the engine bay. A long wait for AAA and a short trip to the dealer and the problem was solved by the end of the next day.
How has the new water pump held up since you had it replaced? Any wiggling or wobbling noticed. Does it spin true?

Has your powertrain warranty run out? If you bought in Nov 2015, you have at least 5 months left.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I surprised they didn't offer to get you one from NAPA, or the other car parts stores. They're probably better than the OE one we have.
If the NAPA part failed there would be no warranty from the factory in this case. The dealer would have to cover any failure of the part - possibly even collateral damage say if the pump failed and the engine overheated - out of its pocket.

Not worth it to the dealer to run this risk.

And I dare say the odds the water pump from NAPA or any auto parts store would probably not be any better. The same company that makes the "Dodge" water pump makes the pumps stocked by auto parts stores. They come off the same manufacturing line just some get routed to a machine that boxes the pumps in Mopar boxes, or gets routed to another machine that boxes the pumps in some OEM box.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If the NAPA part failed there would be no warranty from the factory in this case. The dealer would have to cover any failure of the part - possibly even collateral damage say if the pump failed and the engine overheated - out of its pocket.

Not worth it to the dealer to run this risk.

And I dare say the odds the water pump from NAPA or any auto parts store would probably not be any better. The same company that makes the "Dodge" water pump makes the pumps stocked by auto parts stores. They come off the same manufacturing line just some get routed to a machine that boxes the pumps in Mopar boxes, or gets routed to another machine that boxes the pumps in some OEM box.
Good point. You think MOPAR outsource to Gates?

Surprised Dodge hasn't done a redesign since this problem has been around a long time

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I doubt Mopar would pay them for it since it's warranty.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Good point. You think MOPAR outsource to Gates?

Surprised Dodge hasn't done a redesign since this problem has been around a long time
It is highly unlikely Dodge makes its own water pumps. (Or power steering pumps. A/C compressors. Fuel pumps. Etc.)

There are companies that specialize in the manufacture of these and other items that make up the car. These companies are very good and efficient at what they do. And if they are any good they make not only water pumps for Dodge, but for maybe GM or Ford or even other car brands.

The odds you will find a company that can go to the trouble to design and manufacture a Dodge water pump at a competitive price intended to be sold only through auto parts stores is very unlikely.

Or maybe not. There appears to be some good supply of I dare say "knock off" parts for various things like chainsaws, earth moving equipment, farm equipment, boat motors, recreational vehicles, etc. The cost of these parts is quite low. Rather than hundreds of dollars which in some cases can make the cost of the part necessary to resurrect the item more costly than a new item, I'm talking of prices way under $100.

Now granted while the cost of the knock off part is low there remains to be seen how well this part will hold up over time.

There is the benefit of scale. To make 1 of something can cost $1M. To make a million of something can still cost $1M or a dollar apiece.

And price is very important. A buddy/mentor of mine used to manage an engineering department for an auto parts maker. I won't name the company but it was and I think still is very much in the business. My buddy told me his employer was asked to quote on an order of carburetors. (Obviously this was some time ago.) Long story short my buddy's employer submitted a quote but lost out. The difference between the bid was around 1 penny per unit. But the number of units was in the millions.

Not sure the design is at fault. More likely it is the implementation or a component. I would hazard a guess sub-par bearings. Now I grant you that it is possible the bearings are ok they are just undersized, which is of course a design fault. But given the number of failures is not some high percentage of units in service the fault probably falls upon a component that is inadequate but only because of too much variability during manufacturing of in this case the bearings.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
2016 Scat Pack A8, 42,992 miles. I just checked my water pump, and there's a SMALL amount of wobble, like maybe a millimeter. Makes no weird noises, no leaks as far as I can tell. Is that small amount of wobble enough to worry about?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
All fixed and waiting for me...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
2016 Scat Pack A8, 42,992 miles. I just checked my water pump, and there's a SMALL amount of wobble, like maybe a millimeter. Makes no weird noises, no leaks as far as I can tell. Is that small amount of wobble enough to worry about?
What I go by is what the other accessory drives have in terms of play. In my experience they have none. The accessory drive that has any is the bad one. So far this has been confined to water pumps.

Thus I would say the slight wobble is sufficient to classify the water pump as bad. With one of my cars the play was not even 1mm. It was slight but as I said the other accessories had no play. What prompted me to bother to check this was the noise -- faint low frequency "rumbling" noise -- that I confirmed was coming from the accessory drive system.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Take it and have it evaluated
If it doesn't spin true, the bearings are going.

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
432 Posts
Picked mine up with new water pump, spins straight and true. P/N 68346916AA.

I'm really glad I saw this thread when I did, I don't drive it alot-maybe 5,000 miles a year, and the powertrain warranty is up in December. I guess I'll need to start a scheduled inspection on the water pump every oil change.

Does anyone have the Mopar Vehicle Protection plan? I got a solicitation in the mail the other day.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Grape Ape is home. One new water pump and two gallons new coolant.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
Picked mine up with new water pump, spins straight and true. P/N 68346916AA.

I'm really glad I saw this thread when I did, I don't drive it alot-maybe 5,000 miles a year, and the powertrain warranty is up in December. I guess I'll need to start a scheduled inspection on the water pump every oil change.

Does anyone have the Mopar Vehicle Protection plan? I got a solicitation in the mail the other day.
Got my 2018 used and came Certified thru Dodge with a 7 year, 100,000 powertrain warranty. I got 5 years and/or 73k miles left. But i think it is a $100 deductable, not sure. I have like 8 months left of the factory 3 year, 36,000 warranty. This is according to their Mopar app i signed up for with my car for the factory warranty.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Got my 2018 used and came Certified thru Dodge with a 7 year, 100,000 powertrain warranty. I got 5 years and/or 73k miles left. But i think it is a $100 deductable, not sure. I have like 8 months left of the factory 3 year, 36,000 warranty. This is according to their Mopar app i signed up for with my car for the factory warranty.
No deductible on mine today.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts