Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
Grape Ape is home. One new water pump and two gallons new coolant.
Was the coolant concentrate or the 50/50 mix? I’ll bet it was the pre-mixed 50/50.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Was the coolant concentrate or the 50/50 mix? I’ll bet it was the pre-mixed 50/50.
According to a part number search it's Mopar 50/50.

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
2016 Scat Pack A8, 42,992 miles. I just checked my water pump, and there's a SMALL amount of wobble, like maybe a millimeter. Makes no weird noises, no leaks as far as I can tell. Is that small amount of wobble enough to worry about?
probably check it from time to time. That's a slight amount - if there's more movement, then get it checked out

·
Registered
432 Posts
So for mine they put in P/N 68163848AB. I looked it up and its the concentrate formula.

Do yo know the difference between the two?

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Same coolant, one pre mixed, the other to be mixed when added

A Guy

·
Registered
432 Posts
Same coolant, one pre mixed, the other to be mixed when added

A Guy
Thanks AG. So the concetrate needs distilled water? But, I can still use the 50/50 that I have if I need to top off.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Once you mix the undiluted 50/50 with distilled water, they are exactly the same. Yes, the premixed 50/50 will work. The pre mixed 50/50 is usually about 25% less...because it's half water ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Maxoom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a failure at 31K, just out of warranty due to bad gasket. Took it to a cheap place for unknown brand pump replacement, shaft leaked at 45K, did a replacement myself with Napa water pump. I swear the pressure is a little too high in there, wonder if that's the reason for the new coolant caps in the 2013+ models.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
Once you mix the undiluted 50/50 with distilled water, they are exactly the same. Yes, the premixed 50/50 will work. The pre mixed 50/50 is usually about 25% less...because it's half water ;)

A Guy
I always use 50/50

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
probably check it from time to time. That's a slight amount - if there's more movement, then get it checked out
My experience is any play from the water pump bearings is bad.

If the OP doesn't want to replace the water pump on my input, and I would not blame the OP is he felt this way, rahtr than check the water pump "from time to time" my advice would be to get a professional tech's opinion on this. If he says the play is ok and to check it from time to time ok then.

But my guess is he'll recommend the pump be replaced.

Really I would prefer this if it were my car. I have no desire to have to worry about checking a water pump from time to time to see if it is developing more play or manifesting other signs it needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts

A Guy
Why would one mix “undiluted 50/50” with distilled water?

Isn’t the 1 gallon pre-mixed 50/50 just that...1/2 gallon concentrate and 1/2 gallon water?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Why would one mix “undiluted 50/50” with distilled water?

Isn’t the 1 gallon pre-mixed 50/50 just that...1/2 gallon concentrate and 1/2 gallon water?
He probably meant mixing the concentrate with water

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Undiluted, only coolant, you mix that 50/50 with water. UNDILUTED :D

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Undiluted, only coolant, you mix that 50/50 with water. UNDILUTED :D

A Guy

Me......trying to understand what you just posted.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
HAL, I took her out for a spirited drive, and checked it after. Definite increase in play after it was all heated up. Called the dealer, they said there should be no play. Appointment made for Monday.

Reactions: Maxoom

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Mine went 2 years ago at 6k miles. I think it's starting to go again as I'm hearing the same vibrating sound I did last time. Made an appointment but the earliest they have is the end of next month.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine went 2 years ago at 6k miles. I think it's starting to go again as I'm hearing the same vibrating sound I did last time. Made an appointment but the earliest they have is the end of next month.
Glad I've got 6 Dodge dealerships within 25 miles of where I live. I'd be calling Dodge to get Urgent help on it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
2018 R/T 5.7 here, and the pump was replaced at about 18K miles. No leaks, just a low growling noise and the pulley wobbled when I checked. The service advisor said there was another 2018 R/T in at the same time for a pump replacement, but I didn't ask him what the mileage was. Before scheduling the dealer visit, I had a reputable shop across the street quote the job just out of curiosity...$694. I don't like dropping my car off at the dealer for any reason (long story), but that was a little steep out of pocket for something that's covered under warranty by Dodge. Repair went smooth with no complementary dings or scratches. We'll see how long this one goes for.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
FCA should of got upgraded these water pumps years ago. Hoping to have some last while hundreds dont is just bad business.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts