Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Mine went 2 years ago at 6k miles. I think it's starting to go again as I'm hearing the same vibrating sound I did last time. Made an appointment but the earliest they have is the end of next month.
Grab the pulley and see if it moves any. Time to look for a new dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,376 Posts
Well looks like my 1 year old water pump is bad...I can see it slinging coolant everywhere and the tank level dropped. Lost about a pint. Not entirely FCA's fault as I am running a very heavy duty tensioner for supercharger. I wish someone made a heavy duty pump. Would love to go electric but not possible with the supercharger installed. Always something!

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,327 Posts
I know it’s apples to oranges, but I’ve had great success with Murray Temperature Control water pumps on my RAM / Cummins Turbo Diesel equipped trucks. O’Reilly Auto Parts carries them.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
HAL, I took her out for a spirited drive, and checked it after. Definite increase in play after it was all heated up. Called the dealer, they said there should be no play. Appointment made for Monday.
Well, now I have some mysterious, high pitched, teeny squeak from under the hood. Can't tell where it is coming from, and of course, after I get out of the car it slowly goes away. No way I'm letting them look into it, I'll just live with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,804 Posts
Well, now I have some mysterious, high pitched, teeny squeak from under the hood. Can't tell where it is coming from, and of course, after I get out of the car it slowly goes away. No way I'm letting them look into it, I'll just live with it.
it could be the new water pump, timing belt tensioner pulley or the idler pulley

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just changed the water pump on my 2013 RT last month with only 12,800 miles. I only drive the car about once a week, that’s why I’m surprised that the water pump bearings were bad. The sound seems like it’s coming from the intake manifold, so I didn’t immediately figure out it was the water pump until I read this thread.
The car was out of warranty not by mileage but by time. So I bought a new water pump from NAPA for $110 which has a lifetime warranty. The install was straight forward with 13 bolts of all different lengths. So as I removed each bolt, I placed them in the corresponding hole on the new pump. Then when I got the old pump off, I put the bolts back into the corresponding holes of the old pump until they were ready to be installed with the new pump on the engine. There’s no way you’d remember which bolt went into the correct hole if you just randomly took them off and put them in a pile. And as another person stated, the hardest part was getting off the spring clamp from the lower radiator hose. Once you get it off, throw it away. Buy a traditional screw style clamp when putting the hose back on.

·
Super Moderator
15,804 Posts
the spring clamp, while a pain w/o the correct pliers (especially that lower hose) actually does a better job and doesn't put excess pressure in spots like the worm screw aftermarket clamps.

this is especially so with plastic necks on radiators and the coolant reservoir tank

101 - 109 of 109 Posts