Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have serious water spots on my car, read a few threads on the subject and it seems that I have pretty much followed the advice of many as far as clay barring,cleaner/wax. Took my car to a proffesional detailer and he said that he has never seen such bad water spots on a year old car. He said that I should take my car to the dealer and have them look at it. Well I did and they took some pics and sent them to Chrysler. The service mngr. said it looks like a problem with the clearcoat process. Im waiting for a responce from them as to what they will do about it. Have any of you had this problem? I have 4 other vehicles any none of them have any similar problems with water spots. Any responces will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and responding. Pottedmeat20:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a black challenger myself... its a year old after a nice wash and wax it looks like new... could you post some pictures? I'm interested in seeing what exactly your describing.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I too have a Black car, and have a few water spots, that have been stubborn...keep us posted! Interested to hear what dealer comes back with....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I can't see your pictures but I'm curious why the "detailer" suggested going back to the dealer. In most cases, they are correcting issues that they cause.

I would try another detailer. ....someone reputable and experienced. That usually comes with a price but they can at least tell you what they recommend to "fix" the issue.

I have a black Challenger as well. Coincidentally, I had water spots as well but mine were already on the car (all over) when I picked it up. I told the dealer to leave it as is I that I would be doing the work myself. A dedicated water spot remover removed most of it and two step polishing took care of the rest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have a black Challenger. Purchased it up with 2400 miles on it. It was covered with water spots, swirl marks and a few scuffs. In other words, it needed paint correction.
Since I didn't have time to do the full correction, but the water spots were bugging me, I decided to remove them. I started with the mildest method that I know of, and would move to more aggressive methods if needed. Didn't have to go too hard. After washing the vehicle I started with a clay bar (needed to be done anyway) on the whole vehicle. Got some of the water spots out, but not all. On some of the more stubborn areas, I had to step up to a mild paint correction polish. I was able to remove the rest of the water spots with the polish. Still working on paint correction, about 7/8 done, but the difference in the paint is night and day!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the dealer declined my claim on the waterspots, but I tried some Miguires Ultimate compound and it seems to work really good. It takes a bit of time and alot of work but about 99% of the spots are coming out. Im thinking of going to a body shop and having it done with a buffer. Im kinda lazy, and its 100 degrees outside.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
The water spots are the worst on the black cars.

So that it doesn't happen again, use some kind of water softener/filtration system when you wash the car. I would imagine that they sell them to attach to your hose. It's most likely hard water spots that you are encountering and that's why they're so stubborn to get out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well the dealer declined my claim on the waterspots, but I tried some Miguires Ultimate compound and it seems to work really good. It takes a bit of time and alot of work but about 99% of the spots are coming out. Im thinking of going to a body shop and having it done with a buffer. Im kinda lazy, and its 100 degrees outside.
I would be careful with the selection of a body shop. They could replace the water spots with buffer trails.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I would be careful with the selection of a body shop. They could replace the water spots with buffer trails.
....no doubt.

I would suggest a reputable, professional detailer over a body shop for paint correction to be honest.

Also, if you decide to continue trying to tackle this on your own, just be aware that while Ultimate Compound finishes rather well via DA, it has been my experience that it leaves fine compounding marks when applied by hand. Some may be satisfied with the outcome regardless but you will want to make sure to check your work to make sure the result is what you want.

.....IMO/IME, I believe a finishing polish is needed as a follow up to UC for best results in either case.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
So that it doesn't happen again, use some kind of water softener/filtration system when you wash the car. I would imagine that they sell them to attach to your hose. It's most likely hard water spots that you are encountering and that's why they're so stubborn to get out.
....yep. Quite a few options available all with varying results/effectiveness. Personally, I use a CRSpotless filtration system which effectively produces spot-free (deionized) water. Some may find the initial costs and replacement resin too costly but it's another alternative some might want to consider.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.