Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ceramic coated car, and use the chemical guys products specially made for cars with ceramic coating. I rinse the car, use a foam cannon, then I use a wash mit, and i rinse the car down. I use a leaf blower to dry the car but still get these water spots. So I end up having to use waterless spray to wipe them down to remove. I wash the car out of the sun, in the shade, why am I still getting water spots?? Please help!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,215 Posts
Generally if you get spots that fast, it's hard water. Most shampoos will lose some of their effectiveness if they have to fight hard water first as well. Is your water extra hard there? Are you washing a hot surface? You are really using correct practices, so the water is the suspect. Do you sheet the water off with the hose?

If you have a cool surface to begin, and sheet the whole car before drying, and spots persist, you may need to resort to a drying aid (should not be needed as the coating should shed water). Something like CarPro HydrO2

Have you contacted your detailer for suggestions? Which coating do you have?

A Guy

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
If you are blowing the car dry with a leaf blower, where are the water droplets coming from that are leaving spots?

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
728 Posts
yeah, I agree, what 'Nuke' asked ?
When I use the Toro blower, it removes all the water off the car. I start at the roof, work down the sides, the hood, then the trunk, then rear. I use the slower setting on the blower.
It removes all the water off the car with no water left on the car. I have really bad water that is hard, and would leave spots everywhere if I didn't use a blower. ⚡

Try some good microfiber clothes, and dry those areas, where you thin water will seep back out of a joint or crevice.
That when I use the Chemical guys enhancer/detail spray.

let us knwo where you are seeing the spots
best regards
parrott

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
472 Posts
Generally if you get spots that fast, it's hard water. Most shampoos will lose some of their effectiveness if they have to fight hard water first as well. Is your water extra hard there? Are you washing a hot surface? You are really using correct practices, so the water is the suspect. Do you sheet the water off with the hose?

If you have a cool surface to begin, and sheet the whole car before drying, and spots persist, you may need to resort to a drying aid (should not be needed as the coating should shed water). Something like CarPro HydrO2

Have you contacted your detailer for suggestions? Which coating do you have?

A Guy
What does hard water mean? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey FCB DUB, no dumb questions 👍 Locally in SWVA we have hard water because it has a lot of calcium in it. Sometimes Iron minerals in high content as well. The water picks up the calcium from all the 'Limestone' rock we have in the Appalachians. If you ever see those culligan water softener commercials on TV, those systems counteract the hard water and try to remove a lot of those minerals that are pervasive in hard water.
Water spots are tough to remove and if you look real close at it, sometimes its a white ring from the calcium. It will scratch the paint if you rub it. Best way to get rid of a water spot is more water. A good rain is great to remove spots, but you can't time those.
Hope that helps,
best regards
parrott

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
472 Posts
Hey FCB DUB, no dumb questions 👍 Locally in SWVA we have hard water because it has a lot of calcium in it. Sometimes Iron minerals in high content as well. The water picks up the calcium from all the 'Limestone' rock we have in the Appalachians. If you ever see those culligan water softener commercials on TV, those systems counteract the hard water and try to remove a lot of those minerals that are pervasive in hard water.
Water spots are tough to remove and if you look real close at it, sometimes its a white ring from the calcium. It will scratch the paint if you rub it. Best way to get rid of a water spot is more water. A good rain is great to remove spots, but you can't time those.
Hope that helps,
best regards
parrott
Thank you that was a great explanation

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,215 Posts
Any restaurant that has a low temperature dishwasher (uses a sanitizer, kind of like bleach to sterilize, instead of high temp) has a water softener. Otherwise all their glasses and silverware would have spots...even if they use a rinse aid. They make installable, and portable softener/deionizer units. Deionizing is more important

A water softener removes minerals like calcium, magnesium, lime, and iron that make water hard. In your home removing these minerals helps prevent buildup in pipes, fixtures, and in your water heater. It also improves the taste of your water. There are still some remaining minerals in your water, as water softeners do not remove all the dissolved solids from water. Most use salt to regenerate the resin.

Deionizer systems remove all the dissolved solids and can give you a spot free rinse. The process takes out all of the solids in the water, so there is no nutritional value and the water can have a different taste and smell. Therefore they are usually not installed on whole homes. Their resin can't be regenerated with salt, so has to be replaced. They use these for labs and food processing, etc. where water will zero minerals is important. But a portable one between the home and your hose for washing the car can be done

A Guy

Reactions: SRT8 Mike

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
660 Posts
If you're washing in the shade (so no quickly baked water spots) and drying promptly I'll have to agree with the others that the culprit is hard water.

A deionization (DI) system is what you want since gallons of distilled water is impractical. The best/most readily available DI system out there is CR Spotless but the buy-in price is a bit of a large pill to swallow. At least the media can be recharged through muriatic acid or baking it to save money in the long run.

There was the awesome handheld Mr. Clean AutoDry filter & nozzle DI kit from a decade ago, but the refill cartridges are tough or expensive to come across nowadays

A good source of info can be found on marine (saltwater) aquarium and reef keeping forums. Focus on the DI water purification topics and not RO (reverse osmosis). They may refer to DI as Kati/Ani (cation/anion) systems as well.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
189 Posts
my wife’s Grand Cherokee had water spots on her relatively new ceramic coating by a neighbor kid spraying it with a hose. I used Carpro Spotless, it remover the spots easily and rinsed it after and followed it up with a boost. That said, if the water spots bake on for too long and an acidic cleaner can’t remove them then polishing and recoating will be your only other option.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As you dry it off, hit it with Quick Detailer or something similar. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
141 Posts
I use Rain X spot free soap, it is noticeably different with hard water, no spots

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
As you dry it off, hit it with Quick Detailer or something similar. Problem solved.
In this case then you MUST use a microfiber? I just use a leaf blower.

my wife’s Grand Cherokee had water spots on her relatively new ceramic coating by a neighbor kid spraying it with a hose. I used Carpro Spotless, it remover the spots easily and rinsed it after and followed it up with a boost. That said, if the water spots bake on for too long and an acidic cleaner can’t remove them then polishing and recoating will be your only other option.
This has happened in the past and is the problem when those water spots are missed and the sun bakes those spots into paint. It gets much more difficult to remove.

I use Rain X spot free soap, it is noticeably different with hard water, no spots
This reminds me of another good car wash soap I used by Rain X with Carnuba beads in it. I don't know if it helps with the waterspot problem but at least that left a great shine on paint. I now use Zaino Car Wash Soap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In this case then you MUST use a microfiber? I just use a leaf blower.
Yep. No biggie. I like it and doing it for years. Zero scratches (y)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts