Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped the caps out of the inside headlights on my challenger to allow a little more air under the hood and put in screens to stop debris, but wondering if it's okay that water goes through them into the engine bay when its raining?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did the hellcat box upgrade on mine with the headlight. Shouldnt any trash that goes in the headlight hole fall out of the hole in the bottom?

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean I'm sure it would, but I'm wierd and felt better about having a screen. I just ordered the hellcat lower box and tube though, so all is well!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have installed dips screens in all 3 of my challengers. I have the new version in the hellcat they are really slick. they have stopped a lot of junk & bugs from going in.
Any water going inside the intake side though, would have to travel up and make several turns before it would enter the fliter and then the throttle body. that would be near impossible unless you stick a fire hose on full blast inside the hole. I dont intentionally spray water inside however when i washed mine and have driven in the rain with zero issues from water. besides most all engines can be pressure washed, so water spray in the engine compartment shouldnt be any issue.

Reactions: Midwest

·
Registered
431 Posts
I did the hellcat box upgrade on mine with the headlight. Shouldnt any trash that goes in the headlight hole fall out of the hole in the bottom?

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't have Dips or any other aftermarket voodoo and everything is fine. My engine compartment hasn't gotten full of crap and my air filter isn't full of leaves, bugs or plastic bags.

Drive more, worry less.
Mine hasn’t either!

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have Dips or any other aftermarket voodoo and everything is fine. My engine compartment hasn't gotten full of crap and my air filter isn't full of leaves, bugs or plastic bags.

Drive more, worry less.
I can work with that sir

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did the Hellcat Airbox up grade and have been wanting something like the DIPS, but I also run the colored trim rings so it looks like they would interfere with the DIPS. Do they? is there an interior side option?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,037 Posts
I don't get this question at all, sorry.
"Hi, I opened up a hole in my car, and want to stop water and bugs coming in" (yeah, don't do that then)
I have a SHAKER, the air from it goes to the same place, the airbox around the filter. There is no screen to stop bugs in it, there are water drains, but nothing preventing waterfrom going through thetube to the airbox. The airbox has a huge hole in the bottom, that is where water should end up.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I popped the caps out of the inside headlights on my challenger to allow a little more air under the hood and put in screens to stop debris, but wondering if it's okay that water goes through them into the engine bay when its raining?
Best result is the now uncapped holes do not let any more air into the engine compartment than before. The air flow through the radiator which results in high pressure in engine compartment balances the force of the air through the holes.

Worst case is the extra holes which allow air flow into the engine compartment mean less air flow through the radiator thus engine cooling is in some degree compromised.

I'm not a fan of any mod that can allow water from any source: Rain drops or water spray from traffic or passing vehicles that can throw water at the front of the car; into the engine compartment.

And to make a mod to potentially allow water into the engine compartment which can result in reduced engine cooling efficiency is just the wrong thing to do.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I've had both sides open on two cars, and the last didn't even have an ABS cover.

Don't sweat it, and don't spend 60+ dollars on some fugly DIPS.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,037 Posts
Dodge does it from the factory on some models, all with the same warranty, then they even put a catch name to draw attention to them. And in case you didn't notice yet, they illuminated them with catchy graphics as well. And since driving in the rain doesn't void your warranty, yeah, don't sweat it.
And yes, I drive mine in the rain, that is what rain sense wipers are for! Why would I want to spend time in a lesser vehicle, just because it is raining. And if it isn't a lesser vehicle, why am I not driving that all the time?

Reactions: cymbolic

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,375 Posts
Um, the radiator(s) let large amounts of water enter the engine bay when driving on the highway on a rainy day so I would not sweat it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts