Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
675 Posts
While washing my car, immediately prior to a scheduled air filter change, I sprayed the hose directly into that inlet hole to see what would happen. The paper filter somehow wasn't even wet. Maybe it's that little bit of an S curve to the inlet killing water velocity? I don't know, but I no longer am concerned about water getting in there. Also I never find bugs, birds, leaves, etc there and I daily drive mine rain, shine, snow, hail, you name it.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
The Hellcat has the open air intake from the headlight from the beginning. Why? It may add 7hp! That's why I did it to my Scat Pack.

Chris Cowland, Director of SRT Powertrain Engineering, estimates the Air Catcher provides a single-digit horsepower bump to the new Challenger SRT Hellcat’s V8.
“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.” A second inlet point is located underneath the airbox.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,584 Posts
But my under hood painted pieces would get water spots!

A Guy

·
Registered
86 Posts
The air flow through the radiator which results in high pressure in engine compartment balances the force of the air through the holes.

Worst case is the extra holes which allow air flow into the engine compartment mean less air flow through the radiator thus engine cooling is in some degree compromised.

And to make a mod to potentially allow water into the engine compartment which can result in reduced engine cooling efficiency is just the wrong thing to do.
You might want to rethink that unless you can show some data that air is being diverted away from the radiator when the headlight air catchers are uncapped. I've not seen that in my 18 Hellcat.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Dodge does it from the factory on some models, all with the same warranty, then they even put a catch name to draw attention to them. And in case you didn't notice yet, they illuminated them with catchy graphics as well. And since driving in the rain doesn't void your warranty, yeah, don't sweat it.
And yes, I drive mine in the rain, that is what rain sense wipers are for! Why would I want to spend time in a lesser vehicle, just because it is raining. And if it isn't a lesser vehicle, why am I not driving that all the time?
Maybe. But in the case of the OP's car these came from the factory blocked off. Even if leaving the hole or holes open was harmless why go to the expense of blocking them off?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Um, the radiator(s) let large amounts of water enter the engine bay when driving on the highway on a rainy day so I would not sweat it.
Some water comes in but it comes through the A/C condensor/radiator and the fan and the water is so minimal it is not enough to cause the accessory drive belt to slip.

A headlight hole can let not only drops of rain water through but larger amounts. Many the time I have been driving in the rain and been in a situation where the vehicles ahead of my car put up copious amount of water. The rain sensing wipers go crazy trying to keep the windshield clear. Yet no signs of any issues.

But with the large hole now open this water goes right on the hot engine on the spark plugs, coils, hot exhaust, etc. Yes, the plugs and coils are relatively welled sealed but being periodically subjected to water like that is not the exposure expected.

The opening was blocked off for a reason. There is no good reason to unblock it and good reasons for leaving it blocked.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,736 Posts
Some water comes in but it comes through the A/C condensor/radiator and the fan and the water is so minimal it is not enough to cause the accessory drive belt to slip.

A headlight hole can let not only drops of rain water through but larger amounts. Many the time I have been driving in the rain and been in a situation where the vehicles ahead of my car put up copious amount of water. The rain sensing wipers go crazy trying to keep the windshield clear. Yet no signs of any issues.

But with the large hole now open this water goes right on the hot engine on the spark plugs, coils, hot exhaust, etc. Yes, the plugs and coils are relatively welled sealed but being periodically subjected to water like that is not the exposure expected.

The opening was blocked off for a reason. There is no good reason to unblock it and good reasons for leaving it blocked.
Trust me, water gets through the radiators. Drive in the rain on the highway and then pop open your hood.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,368 Posts
Maybe. But in the case of the OP's car these came from the factory blocked off. Even if leaving the hole or holes open was harmless why go to the expense of blocking them off?
To make be able to add this line to the higher models "Air Catcher Headlights"
Also since R/Ts are a more mainstream car, not all out performance oriented, like SRTs, Some people may actually not like the look of a non-symmetrical front end. Mine came open, and I can see the air filter element from in front of the car, I'm not changing it. But, if it was still in there, I honestly don't know if I would remove it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
He's just verbose and modification adverse. Grains of salt.
(there's no data)
Verbose to get my point across.

I'm not modification adverse, just ill advised modification adverse. This takes in a lot of mod's though. The forums are full of posts by owners of mod'd cars with issues from the mods.

Last but not least you do not seek any data from in this someone wanting to open up the blocked head light hole to in some way justify his doing so. There's no base line of engine coolant temperature, intake air temperature, or anything.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Verbose to get my point across.

I'm not modification adverse, just ill advised modification adverse. This takes in a lot of mod's though. The forums are full of posts by owners of mod'd cars with issues from the mods.

Last but not least you do not seek any data from in this someone wanting to open up the blocked head light hole to in some way justify his doing so. There's no base line of engine coolant temperature, intake air temperature, or anything.
So, how is this ill advised? What data have you presented? There is literally more available data regarding no adverse effects (see: cars running) than there is to support pressure and water arguments around cooling. The burden of proof is with you, and you're doing nothing but providing baseless conjecture.

At least you kept it Challenger/Mopar centric, this time. :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,736 Posts
So how is it that removing the caps is a bad idea yet Dodge installed big honking heat extractors on the hell cat that expose the engine bay to the elements?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts