Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody switched over to waterless coolant? It sounds great but what about operating temps, getting a complete flush of ALL existing water before install, warranty coverage etc. Is it worth the cost/trouble?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Whats the advantage of waterless??
A mix with water gives real good protection.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's my understanding that it will not allow corrosion of any sort and I think it's lifetime, no breakdown such as ethelene glycol based coolants. Not sure thats why I'm asking. I have plenty of life in my 2017 yet.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Hmmmm...well, today's coolants give you 100,000 plus protection....I wouldn't want to spend money on waterless stuff if I don't have to change the coolant for over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Jay Leno loves the stuff. He did a episode Of JL Garage where he had the president of the company come on and explain the stuff. Jay said he uses it in all the cars that need coolant.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
Jay has a few bucks...

A Guy

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Antifreeze and water work very well. While my Hellcat has yet to be tested by triple digit temps my other cars have a number of times (116F, 118F, even 119F) and cooling was never a problem. And cold temps -- down to 0F -- was never a problem.

The stuff is friendly the water pump seals which is important. With 4 to 5 year changes of the coolant none of my cars have suffered any issues with cooling system component corrosion. Water pump life has been outstanding. 172K miles in one case. 120K miles in another case. Other cars have gone nearly 150K miles without needing a water pump at all. Antifreeze and water just work and work day after day.

Why fix something that ain't broken?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Jay has a few bucks...

A Guy
and a few cars. I think that is the biggest draw for this type of stuff. He has cars in his collection that he personally bought in the 70's. it may cost 40 dollars a gallon but if you have 15-20+ cars changing out coolant never in your life again is a big big draw as opposed to trying to do that every 10-15 years with many different cars that you may have only put 5-7k miles on. Plus as he demoed in that video, if you make your own custom parts for cars you dont want them rusting out and you need to make them over again. All that time is money for him whether he does it or pays his mechanic to do it. If you plan on keeping a car 50 years, life of the car coolant is not that bad as you would spend way more than that in down time and coolant changes if you changed it every 10 years like the bottle says to do. Most people that buy cars new though have no interest in keeping the car 50+ years.

Ron

·
Registered
438 Posts
It was a huge thing in the late 90s for hot rods and such, and I remember selling a couple to the mustang crowd. The problem is that if you ever have an issue with leak (heater core...hose failure...clamp failure) you can't jsut top off with quickly available coolant, especially on the road away from home/base.

Another thing was the system has to be completely purged of all standard coolant and water....every bit!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It was a huge thing in the late 90s for hot rods and such, and I remember selling a couple to the mustang crowd. The problem is that if you ever have an issue with leak (heater core...hose failure...clamp failure) you can't jsut top off with quickly available coolant, especially on the road away from home/base.

Another thing was the system has to be completely purged of all standard coolant and water....every bit!
Which brings up another possible problem, having the car for service and a thorough/helpful tech tops up the cooling system with regular coolant.

If one is going to run a waterless coolant in his car I guess he would/should tag the coolant tank cap to warn others not to add anything.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
What happens if a little water is added??

·
Registered
394 Posts
What happens if a little water is added??
That interview video says 3% water is ok after that nothing happens except the boiling point starts to come down so the pressure in the system starts to go up.
Since most coolant is at most 50% water that would be 6% normal coolant in the waterless does not change the properties a bit.

Ron

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't even know the difference between the green and orange coolants. I would hope the coolant provided in my 5.7 is more aluminum friendly. Why the different types?
I hope you get an answer for that. I myself dont know. I am what Jay would call "old school" I just put in what the factory used.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I got the purple coolant in mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts