Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I wax in the spring with Meguiars Gold Class it lasts the rest of the summer but I guess the salt really did a number on it because its only been about 2 months since I waxed it last and water has already stopped beading.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....not sure exactly what you're asking. Are you looking for a product recommendation?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wax my car 4 times a year its a daily driver and is out in the elements year round.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....not sure exactly what you're asking. Are you looking for a product recommendation?
No I was just making a statement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Simply put, salt is corrosive, and so are salt substitutes. Keep a special eye on your wheels, as they are often neglected during the winter and they tend to build up salts and brake dust and road debris which can quickly eat into the clearcoat.

And if water is powerful enough to have carved the Grand Canyon, you have to figure just with rain and sleet that a micro-thin layer of wax has its work cut out for it.

Even if you can't wax during the winter, at least wash the salts off as often as you can.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
You stated that you wax during the summer. It is good practice to wax very late in the Fall to help protect your paint finish from winter road hazards. Meguiars' Gold Class is excellent wax, but I would recommend Meguiars' NXT Tech Wax 2.0 for, at least, your Fall waxing. It is made to last for up to 6 months. Also, use Meguiars Detail Spray. It leaves a glossy finish on your paint.

Needless to say, periodic washings are also vital if you drive your car every day.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I love Meguiar's products. I use the NXT Tech Wax 2.0 just like the previous poster mentioned. It goes on and comes off easily, and it lasts quite a while. I wax my cars very late in the Fall, in the very early Spring, and in the middle of Summer or every four months. This works out since I cannot wax in the dead of winter here. Car washes always make me nervous if they are not touch free, but I have found touchless are not nearly as effective as removing salt. One thing I found effective is go in the do it yourself bay at the wash and use the pressurized hose with soapy water to spray underneath and the inside of the wheel wells prior to actually going into the wash. I think it works better than the standard undercarriage spray. My dad does his cars manually with the brush at the wash and has not had any problems since it is very soft, again depends where you go. Touch washes will probably leave some swirl marks over time though depending on where you go, but that can be taken care of every couple of years with Meguiar's 3 Step paint restoration, which is an awesome product. I used it on my red Stealth, which did not have a clear coat, and it worked wonders with swirl marks and bringing back the paint's luster. Another thing I recommend is to clay bar your car every Spring before you wax it. It removes tiny contaminants that regular washing cannot, especially after a harsh winter. It also makes the paint smooth as glass, which is great prior to a wax. Meguiar's Clay Bar comes with two clay bars (one time use each), a microfiber towel, and detail spray. I highly recommend it. No, I do not work for Meguiar's either. :)

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
You stated that you wax during the summer. It is good practice to wax very late in the Fall to help protect your paint finish from winter road hazards. Meguiars' Gold Class is excellent wax, but I would recommend Meguiars' NXT Tech Wax 2.0 for, at least, your Fall waxing. It is made to last for up to 6 months. Also, use Meguiars Detail Spray. It leaves a glossy finish on your paint.

Needless to say, periodic washings are also vital if you drive your car every day.
X2. I do a quarterly wax and wash weekly at least.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Collinite Insulator wax 845, haven't found anything better yet...
....although not as easy to find and some other retail products (but very easy to find online), Collinite 845 is an excellent product in terms of ease of use and durability. In fact, it is a common product to find in the arsenals of many detailers and enthusiasts alike. ....especially or use as a winter wax to keep the car protected until spring. Very easy to apply/remove and doesn't stain trim. ....in fact, it is one of the LSP's (last step products; waxes/sealants) I occasionally use on some trim for protection (I prefer LSP's over dressings/protectants whenever possible). While arguably not as easy to use, Collinite 476s provides even better protection. Some even say better looks but it's really subjective.

From personal experience, FK1000p (by Finish Kare) is also an excellent product if you're looking for durability. One of it's notable features is its tendency to shed contaminants rather well (a trait many have noted). It is also one of the more resilient products I have found to detergents/cleaners. However, it does go on like a traditional carnauba (it's a paste) so it will build up in crevices and/or textured areas if you're not careful (best to keep off trim and panel lines). As a result, I found it a bit of a pita to apply/remove compared to other waxes/sealants I have tried and even thought of not using it again after my first try (most of my other products are very friendly in this respect). However, seeing the results on my wife's car (our daily driver), I was impressed. ....so much so that I'm willing to put up with any application "issues" simply for the benefits/characteristics of this product. If I lived in an area that actually had "winters", this would definitely be one that I would consider.

WOWA (wipe on, walk away) sealants are also a consideration if you're looking for a product to use as a touch up but need something quick & easy to apply. Most of the popular ones (i.e. Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Optimium Opti-Seal, Zaino CS, etc.) do fine as a stand alone but also as a great solution for topping an old, aging LSP that may be losing some its characteristics. As far as WOWA's go, I use Optimum OS due to its compatibility with other products and user-friendliness. Traditionally, you would use a foam applicator. Less is more when it comes to these types of products (whisper thin coats). You really do just wipe on and walk away (its no gimmick). Most of the product will tend to flash dry while other spots you may have overlapped or laid it on a little heavy will take a few minutes to completely fade. Personally, I use an airbrush for application (a tip I picked up from a couple of different detailers). I use more product this way but it is very fast and easy for me. None of the WOWA's I mentioned will stain trim and can essentially be applied to the entire vehicle (even windows) since it dries completely clear. ....any spots/streaks from heavy application that will not dry on their own are very easy to remove if needed.

While there are a lot of crappy products on the market, there are also quite a few good ones as well. ....both online, boutique and available through retail. Anyone interested in further exploration of these types of products (or detailing in general) should consider visiting one of several popular detailing forums (i.e. Autogeek Online, Autopia, Detail City, Detailing Bliss, Meguiar’s Online, etc.). What matters most of that you find products, tools and techniques that work best for you and your situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts