Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with ways to remove wax from black plastic trim. It was especially troublesome on the trim around the tail lights. I tried all the choices I found on the forums with various degrees of success. I had some mineral oil I use to clean my anodized billit items, per BT's instruction. So just for grins I tried the oil on the wax on the trim and viola. It came right off with very little effort. Just thought i would throw that out there for those that get crazy with the wax job like I do. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Peanut oil will also do remove the wax from plastic trim pieces.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've heard rubbing alcohol will but I've never tried it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Off subject but peanut oil or peanut butter will remove some decals. We have used it to remove registration year decals off boats before putting the new ones on. I couldn't believe it either.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The only problem with many dressings is that they typically mask rather than remove residue (especially with stubborn stains). You really need to use an APC, something like odorless mineral spirits, a decon kit, an AIO, etc. if you want to actually help clean up the trim prior to application of your dressing, protectant, sealant, etc.

....and simply using a wax/sealant that doesn't stain trim will help eliminate future issues like this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I made the mistake of waxing my black imitation carbon fiber hood stripes and now they look cloudy. Will mineral spirits bring them back??

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I made the mistake of waxing my black imitation carbon fiber hood stripes and now they look cloudy. Will mineral spirits bring them back??
What "wax" did you use? ....including other products (i.e. quick detailers, quick waxes, protectants, etc.)? Also, what do you use for a car wash soap and do you mix it in the recommended ratio? How about your wash routine (i.e. brush, mitt, chamois, towels, etc.)?

I would avoid the use of solvents. A strong car wash solution can usually help strip previous layers of wax if necessary (depending on the products used) but it's sort of a moot point if the there is damage to the decals.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What "wax" did you use? ....including other products (i.e. quick detailers, quick waxes, protectants, etc.)? Also, what do you use for a car wash soap and do you mix it in the recommended ratio? How about your wash routine (i.e. brush, mitt, chamois, towels, etc.)?

I would avoid the use of solvents. A strong car wash solution can usually help strip previous layers of wax if necessary (depending on the products used) but it's sort of a moot point if the there is damage to the decals.
I use a quick detailer Northern lights, or Norton Liquid Ice, and a carnuba wax Tropical gold. I use a professional car wash 1oz per gal as recommended although I don't measure like a bartender. I wash with a clean mitt, remove water with a California water blade, and dry and wax with clean microfiber towels.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I use a quick detailer Northern lights, or Norton Liquid Ice, and a carnuba wax Tropical gold. I use a professional car wash 1oz per gal as recommended although I don't measure like a bartender. I wash with a clean mitt, remove water with a California water blade, and dry and wax with clean microfiber towels.
….sorry for the 20 questions but I’m just trying to think of possible culprits.

I can’t say I’m familiar with the Northern Lights line of products but isn’t the Norton Liquid Ice an abrasive polish? Were you using this on the stripes? If so, that would be my #1 suspect.

I’m also not familiar with Tropical Gold but I would wager it contains carrier solvents as most carnaubas do. Carrier mediums are used to keep the product in its packaged, workable state until application. In this scenario, as the solvents “flash off”/evaporate after application, they leave the product behind on the surface. In either case, these solvents also can have an ability to dissolve other waxes they are layered over or even inadvertently act as a sort of AIO (all in one) paint cleaner/wax. How do these solvents affect materials like your stripes? ….I really don’t know to be honest. I’m just throwing it out there as another possibility as a cause for dulling the finish.

Something else I’m thinking of might simply be the combination of products you are using. I have had situations where products were simply incompatible with one another and caused cloudiness, residue that was hard to remove, etc. However, if you are using the same combination of wax & QD on the painted panels without issue, I doubt this is the problem.

Your car wash solution could be the problem but as long as it is a safe, gentle, quality, car-specific soap/shampoo, I would look elsewhere for the cause. Your wash media and drying medium (although I don’t like water blades myself) wouldn’t cause cloudiness (IMO) either.

If you are looking to remove the wax, simply using a stronger dilution of a good quality car wash solution will sometimes do the trick. ….and is likely safer than using solvents. For paint, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend things like IPA (isopropyl alcohol) in a 70/30 dilution or even odorless mineral spirits to remove wax/sealants and/or carrier oils from polishes. As for your stripes, I would hate to see these solutions further aggravate the situation without getting confirmation from someone who knows for sure.

Regular blue Dawn is commonly used by many as a cheap, wax/product stripper (it’s what Sal Zaino recommends you use before applying his products). Used in moderation, it has never caused issues for me (years ago when I used it) and I have never heard of others experiencing any fading/dulling on their trim, paint, rubber, etc. It does work as a quick wax remover though when used as a wash solution.

Sorry for my rambling… Do you happen to have any pictures you can take? Preferably shots under the Sun and/or under lighting that highlights the cloudy affect. If so, I can (with your permission) show these to some fellow members on the detailing site/forum I frequent to get their input. The site is a gathering of professionals and enthusiasts (like me) who share information. Someone may be able to offer some valuable input that can help (and I can relay back to you).

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Dawn is amazing stuff. I'd be careful with some of the more common solvents as some plastics have UV protectants that don't like some solvents. Not saying these do, I don't know. I know on my boat I use Magic Erasers for cleaning almost anything messed up, but I don't think I would let them near my car unless all else failed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks guys I'll give dawn a try!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you do use Dawn, just make sure you use it as a well diluted wash solution (like you would a car wash soap). I also wouldn't scrub or let it dwell for too long. Remember, this will only help remove any products from the surface and wont do anything if the cloudiness is a result of damage to the stripes.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
i been waxing my stripes for 2 years they look bettr than new

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
You can also try Turtle Wax Ice spray synthetic detailer. I use it on my black plastic trim and hood decal all the time and it leaves no film and cleans just about anything that gets on the black plastic. I also use Ice spray synthetic polish and it works well too, it just doesn't last very long. A few months at best. I've got some 1Z Polish Wax and 1Z Glanz Wax coming. I've heard good things about it and I'll give them a try, although this polish/wax may leave a white residue on black trim. I just want something that lasts a bit longer and the 1Z may be it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The easiest and most effective way to remove the wax residue from your plastic parts is with one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Try one, you'll be amazed at how well it works!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dawn dish soap on a towel, wipe the area/spot, come behind with a really damp towel and the wax is gone. Its a lot safer on plastic parts then thinner or mineral oils. leaves no resdue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts