Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Wax on black plastic trim:

9K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Kean 
#1 ·
I've been experimenting with ways to remove wax from black plastic trim. It was especially troublesome on the trim around the tail lights. I tried all the choices I found on the forums with various degrees of success. I had some mineral oil I use to clean my anodized billit items, per BT's instruction. So just for grins I tried the oil on the wax on the trim and viola. It came right off with very little effort. Just thought i would throw that out there for those that get crazy with the wax job like I do. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Peanut oil will also do remove the wax from plastic trim pieces.

#3 ·
I've heard rubbing alcohol will but I've never tried it.

#6 ·
The only problem with many dressings is that they typically mask rather than remove residue (especially with stubborn stains). You really need to use an APC, something like odorless mineral spirits, a decon kit, an AIO, etc. if you want to actually help clean up the trim prior to application of your dressing, protectant, sealant, etc.

....and simply using a wax/sealant that doesn't stain trim will help eliminate future issues like this.

#9 ·
I made the mistake of waxing my black imitation carbon fiber hood stripes and now they look cloudy. Will mineral spirits bring them back??

#10 · (Edited)
What "wax" did you use? ....including other products (i.e. quick detailers, quick waxes, protectants, etc.)? Also, what do you use for a car wash soap and do you mix it in the recommended ratio? How about your wash routine (i.e. brush, mitt, chamois, towels, etc.)?

I would avoid the use of solvents. A strong car wash solution can usually help strip previous layers of wax if necessary (depending on the products used) but it's sort of a moot point if the there is damage to the decals.

#13 ·
Dawn is amazing stuff. I'd be careful with some of the more common solvents as some plastics have UV protectants that don't like some solvents. Not saying these do, I don't know. I know on my boat I use Magic Erasers for cleaning almost anything messed up, but I don't think I would let them near my car unless all else failed.

#14 ·
Thanks guys I'll give dawn a try!

#15 ·
If you do use Dawn, just make sure you use it as a well diluted wash solution (like you would a car wash soap). I also wouldn't scrub or let it dwell for too long. Remember, this will only help remove any products from the surface and wont do anything if the cloudiness is a result of damage to the stripes.

#16 ·
i been waxing my stripes for 2 years they look bettr than new

#17 ·
You can also try Turtle Wax Ice spray synthetic detailer. I use it on my black plastic trim and hood decal all the time and it leaves no film and cleans just about anything that gets on the black plastic. I also use Ice spray synthetic polish and it works well too, it just doesn't last very long. A few months at best. I've got some 1Z Polish Wax and 1Z Glanz Wax coming. I've heard good things about it and I'll give them a try, although this polish/wax may leave a white residue on black trim. I just want something that lasts a bit longer and the 1Z may be it.

#18 ·
The easiest and most effective way to remove the wax residue from your plastic parts is with one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Try one, you'll be amazed at how well it works!

#22 ·
I find a product called "Wax Blaster" works very well on Black/Dark textured plastics... Has a foam applicator on the top of a squeeze bottle to help scrub the wax out of cracks and crevices...

Here is a link to the product and it's actually not very expensive, either.

Premium Finish Care Wax Blaster Wax Remover

Also an excellent pre cleaner for primer and/or painting plastics

#23 ·
....I'm glad your experience was good. While I don't typically have a residue problem myself, I tried it a couple of times on other vehicles with stubborn staining and was less than impressed. I had more success with IPA and/or one of my APC's with agitation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.