Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The RT is the 1st car I have had in the garage with substantial vinyl graphics. The question is, when you wax your car, do you wax the vinyl as well, or do you avoid the body graphics ?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes; waxing the vinyl is perfectly fine

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The RT is the 1st car I have had in the garage with substantial vinyl graphics. The question is, when you wax your car, do you wax the vinyl as well, or do you avoid the body graphics ?
....it really depends what "wax" product you're speaking of. There are some I would never think of using on stripes while others I would have no problem with.

A few things you want to consider are sheen, staining and residue. Some products will impart their own sheen to the vinyl (some more than others). Staining or darkening can also occur. ....and then there is residue. This can be a problem on the border areas where the graphic meets the paint and/or on the vinyl itself (especially if it is textured).

Generally speaking, if a product is trim friendly (meaning it doesn't leave residue/build-up in crevices, stain or alter matte trim, etc.), then it will likely work on the vinyl as well. When in doubt, test the product first if possible.

Personally, I have used Optimum Opti-Seal, Wolfgang Fuzion and Duragloss Aquawax so far on my hood to fender stripes with no issue. However, the Fuzion (which is a wax/sealant hybrid) and the DG AW (a quick wax) seemed to leave a bit of a sheen making the surface a little more satin-like rather than matte-like. ....a change that didn't bother me but could bother some. In either case, there are a lot of products out there to choose from including quick detailers, protectants, etc. .....or you may choose to simply leave them alone.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have used poorboys world products, zaino, clearkote, autoglym, all on vinyl decals. If you think about it, you are just protecting them as you are the paint.

I have used SSR1 on the vinyl stripes as well. This is an abrasive product used to remove fine spider web scratches and flaws and it went over the stripes no issue, and cleaned them up.

residue was a little around the edges, but that all depends on application as well, and is nothing a quick detailer spray cant clean up

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I went a step further.

I used Meguiars clay bar (very easy on paint compared to other clay bars) not only on the paint but the gray stripes as well. Used no pressure on the stripes and it worked perfect. No marring (lube lube lube is all I have to say) and they are smooth as glass. I then used Meguiars Polish glaze on the paint and waxed the paint and stripes with Meguiars Carbuba Plus paste wax.

Car turned out awesome.

it is OK to was the glossy stripes (not flat)

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I waxed everything on the vehicle except the soft rubber trim with Meguiars NXT and it all looks good.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Has anyone heard of Turtle Wax's Black Box? I was going to use it on my Brilliant Black Challenger but also have red rallye stripes and was wondering if it would ruin the stripes since its supposedly made for ONLY black cars?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Has anyone heard of Turtle Wax's Black Box? I was going to use it on my Brilliant Black Challenger but also have red rallye stripes and was wondering if it would ruin the stripes since its supposedly made for ONLY black cars?
….it has loads of fillers and black pigments. That is why the product is marketed and designed for use on black cars.

As for using them on your stripes, I would definitely avoid the use the “Step 1” cleaner although the “Step 2” wax might be OK. I don’t know what the dye would do to the finish however (i.e. mute the color temporarily, etc.). Personally, if your heart is set on using this product, I would just keep it on the painted panels and use something else on the vinyl.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hmm I might go trade it in for something else then. I got it to try and remove some of the swirls in the paint
If you’re looking to actually remove blemishes, then yes….I would look elsewhere for a solution. While TW BB may not necessarily be a bad product, its main goal is concealment. That’s not a bad thing as long as you are using the product without any false expectations. The “Step 1” appears to have some cleaning and abrasive characteristics but I’ll wager they are relatively mild. Also, with the additional fillers, you will not get a true representation of your progress. It would likely be better to use a true polish and go from there. If you’re planning on correcting by hand, you may even want to still use a product like BB to help hide any minor scratches you’re not able (or willing) to remove through your polishing step(s).

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would be carefull when dealing with flat/matte black. A wax would give a uneven luster because wax's like to shine things up.
On shiny decals, you should be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts