Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had my car about 4 weeks now, and just did the first wash. (It was detailed at the dealer the day I bought it).

Anyhow, was wondering if you can wax the stripes, I've got the R/T Classic side stripes. I've already figured out the rocker panels, front trim around the grill, the rear trim around the lights is probably a nightmare to get the wax off, right? I would like to be able to wax over the stripes though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you use white wax, it will get jammed in joint seam between the stripes and the paint. It is a nightmare to get out and looks really bad.

I use turtle wax ice. You can wax over everything without worrying about that white residue!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you use white wax, it will get jammed in joint seam between the stripes and the paint. It is a nightmare to get out and looks really bad.

I use turtle wax ice. You can wax over everything without worrying about that white residue!
Even if you get it on some of the plastic trim pieces it leaves no white? Sounds good, because my Meguiars is almost empty anyhow.

How long does the Turtle Wax last, on average? I usually wax our cars twice a year, spring and fall.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Turtle Wax ICE isn't going to protect long, it's a clear "wax" but I'd say at most maybe a week or two of protection, it's ease of use is what people buy it for, goes on clear and you can even apply it to black trim pieces to shine them up, but I really wouldn't say it protects much, it almost seems more like a extreme detailer to me

FYI I have always had good luck with using Rain-X to break up old white wax (with a q-tip)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Only had my car about 4 weeks now, and just did the first wash. (It was detailed at the dealer the day I bought it).

Anyhow, was wondering if you can wax the stripes, I've got the R/T Classic side stripes. I've already figured out the rocker panels, front trim around the grill, the rear trim around the lights is probably a nightmare to get the wax off, right? I would like to be able to wax over the stripes though.
....there are a lot of durable non-staining waxes, sealants, quick waxes, etc. currently available on the market. It's nothing unique or "exclusive" as a product characteristic these days. In fact, that is what I prefer to use on exterior trim/moulding when possible (vs. dressings/protectants).

The problem I find with decals (and even some types of trim) is that while some these products won't stain, they may impart their own sheen to the finish (to some degree). Whenever possible, its always a good idea to test the component/area you want to try the product on.

I would highly suggest browsing the various detailing websites/forums like Autopia.org, MeguiarsOnLine, Detailingbliss, etc. You can get an idea of the various products now available and decide what might work best for your situation. From traditional products (that you wipe on, let dry and then wipe off) to WOWO products (that you wipe on and then immediately wipe off) and WOWA (wipe on, walk away. ....no wiping off). There is no one "best" product for everyone. It would be short-sighted to think so IMO/IME.

Some of the waxes/sealants currently in my cabinets are Collinite 845 (traditional application), Optimum Opti-Seal (WOWA) and Wolfgang Fuzion (WOWO) among several others (P21s, FK1000p, Zaino Z2/Z5/ZAIO, etc.). I also some quick waxes (spray on) like Duragloss Aquawax which can essentially be used all over the car (paint, trim, decals, etc.).

btw, if you like Meguiars products, they have a new product for 2011 from their Ultimate lineup called Ultimate Liquid Wax. It is supposed to be even easier to use than their NXT 2.0 and can even be applied in direct sunlight. It started hitting the retail shelves a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been using the NXT 2.0 Tech Wax by Meguiars for a year now on the paint and the stripes with no problems at all. I use Turtle Wax ICE on the rockers only.

Will try Meguiars new Ultimate Wax this year when my bottle of NXT is empty.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do not wax the stripes leave them alone....wax around them
That's hilarious. I'm retired but I don't have the kind of time or hand to manage something like that.

As much as I like the stripes, if that was the only way to put wax on the car, either (1) the car would never get waxed, or (2) the stripes would come off if wax was that important to me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just bought the turtle wax ice spray wax. The bottle said "3" times as long lasting as the original formula.

Can't see where it's put on, can't see when I got it all wiped off, and really can't see any difference at all. I know the dealership had waxed it because I can see some of the white along the edge of the stripes. Maybe that's why I can't see any difference.

This Turtle Wax stuff appears to me to be more of a detailing solution (like someone else commented). I don't think it's going to last at all. It doesn't leave any white behind though, just not sure it leaves much of anything.

I'll probably go back to Meguiar's and get my toothbrush back out as well.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just bought the turtle wax ice spray wax. The bottle said "3" times as long lasting as the original formula.

Can't see where it's put on, can't see when I got it all wiped off, and really can't see any difference at all. I know the dealership had waxed it because I can see some of the white along the edge of the stripes. Maybe that's why I can't see any difference.

This Turtle Wax stuff appears to me to be more of a detailing solution (like someone else commented). I don't think it's going to last at all. It doesn't leave any white behind though, just not sure it leaves much of anything.

I'll probably go back to Meguiar's and get my toothbrush back out as well.
.....seriously. Don't limit yourself. If you don't like your current product, there are many more to choose from. Aside from my Fk1000p (by Finish Kare), nearly all of my other wax/sealants I use leave no residue on trim/crevices.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.....seriously. Don't limit yourself. If you don't like your current product, there are many more to choose from. Aside from my Fk1000p (by Finish Kare), nearly all of my other wax/sealants I use leave no residue on trim/crevices.
Yeah, I may try one of those; my Meguiars is almost out anyhow. You buy these online, cause I haven't seen any of those at the local WalMart.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yeah, I may try one of those; my Meguiars is almost out anyhow. You buy these online, cause I haven't seen any of those at the local WalMart.
....most of those I mentioned you have to buy online but products like Collinite & Duragloss can be found in some retail stores. However, I typically like to shop with vendors like Autogeek who have products ranging from "boutique" (1Z, Optimum, Menzerna, Wolfgang, P21s, Adams, Griots, etc.) to the retail lines everyone has heard about (like Meguiars, Mothers, Eagle One, etc.). There are also companies like Zaino who almost exclusively sell their products from their own store front.

It really depends on what exactly you are looking for from a product. This is why I was recommending reading through the detailing forums (like Autopia). You can really get a sense of what to expect from these products by reading what others have to say about them. This is why I always urge others to do a little research of their own. What wokrs for one person, doesn't necessarily work for the next.

btw, regardless of the wax/sealant you choose, keep in mind that there is only so much you should expect from these products. Folks "in the know" will commonly tell you that its all in the prep. In other wordds, you can't slap a wax on a finish that has contaminants, blemishes, etc. and expect a dramatic difference. ....just some food for thought. I would also suggest doing a serious review of your wash regimen since this is where most damage is caused and also has a big impact on how long your wax/sealant will last.

Here are a few articles/tutorials that I think you may find useful:

Articles by Mike Phillips by Mike Phillips
Autopia Guide to Detailing by David Bynon
Auto Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks by Autogeek
Ask The Detail Doctor by Properautocare.com
Detailing Tips by Properautocare.com
MOTHERS® Detail Guide by Mothers
VIDEO: Autogeek’s Show Car Garageby Autogeek
VIDEO: Meguiar's USA YouTube Channel by Meguiars
VIDEO: Videos on Meguiar's.com and the MeguiarsAsia YouTube Channel by Meguiars
VIDEO: Adam's Polishes FREE Detailing "How To" Videos by Dylan @ Adams

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've been using the NXT 2.0 Tech Wax by Meguiars for a year now on the paint and the stripes with no problems at all. I use Turtle Wax ICE on the rockers only.

Will try Meguiars new Ultimate Wax this year when my bottle of NXT is empty.
May I suggest using Meguires Vinyl and Plastic Cleaner for the rockers and faschias instead of ICE...it cleans and protects and last about 2+ weeks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check out the Detailling /Car Care section for tons and tons of information regarding waxing/polishing, et al.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sure we all have our favorites. As for me, we have two Jaguars and I always use Meguiars Show Car Glaze at the begining of Concours season. It does not dry white and leaves a nice, deep shine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Check out the Detailling /Car Care section for tons and tons of information regarding waxing/polishing, et al.
Good advice. With that said, I would take the advice of notsure and check out the Zaino website. You will not be disappointed with Zaino and you can use it on the stripes.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i read and i read and i read and everyone has a different opinion.

i dont want to go buying 15 different waxes and getting white haze on my black trim.

Just tell me Kean, whats the one best wax that i can use around my black plastic that wont leave big ol white ooze stains on it?

·
Registered
852 Posts
It is ok to wax the stripes.

I use Poorboy's World products; started using them back in 2004 and have never looked back! Great Price and amazing results.

Check out autogeek.net

1 - 20 of 42 Posts