Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turtle wax Ice hard shell (synthetic) or Magruire's tech wax?

Plan to apply it ones a month and for every weekend I use Turtle wax quick wax spray.. Any advice?

·
Registered
GCM 2015 Challenger
55 Posts
Personally I prefer the tech wax and use it as my second wax coat over a hard carnauba on my vehicles. Great water resistance. I have not used a turtle wax product in decades but many folks like their Ice products.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I prefer the tech wax and use it as my second wax coat over a hard carnauba on my vehicles. Great water resistance. I have not used a turtle wax product in decades but many folks like their Ice products.
Hard carnauba? For that what would you prefer? I've seen couple Carnauba but don't know which is good?

Besides those do you wash your car with "soap & wax"? Then apply the actual wax?

·
Registered
GCM 2015 Challenger
55 Posts
Once a year I do the following:

Wash car with dawn soap to remove wax.
Clay bar entire car.
Wash again
Polish entire car by machine
Sealant applied
Wax hardcore carnauba from chemical guys or Nattys from poor boys. Or if I've worked some overtime and its on sale, some Celeste Dettaglio.
Topped with tech wax
I rarely use glaze. If you polish well enough you shouldn't need it.

As needed....wash with non wax based car soap and wax with tech wax.

Clean and shine spray detailer used when car a bit dirty but doesn't warrant a wash or just to add some gloss or for a quick clean up.

Polish cleans your paint and this is where you get most of your shine from. Wax protects your paint and adds a little more gloss and depth.

I would focus on technique over brand until you become proficient at it. A $200 wax can look like crap if applied poorly whereas someone who knows what they are doing can make a cheap wax full of fillers look pretty good.

You will get many opinions, everyone has their preferences.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Turtle wax Ice hard shell (synthetic) or Magruire's tech wax? Any advice?
I use Turtle Wax Ice Liquid and like it because you can put it on everything - plastic, rubber, paint, whatever and it leaves no white residue and lasts a good 3 months.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Turtle wax Ice hard shell (synthetic) or Magruire's tech wax?

Plan to apply it ones a month and for every weekend I use Turtle wax quick wax spray.. Any advice?
I have used both and both provided great results. No issues going on or coming off and neither left any white residue on the plastic. I did switch to Surf City detail spray instead of theirs because it contained carnuba. I use it more as a spot cleaner but if provides a good deep shine. Not a daily driver, never seen rain, and only been washed 1 time by me when I brought it home so I can't say how well it survives the elements.

·
Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Here is my process:

1. Thorough washing using the showcar 2 bucket method.
2. Meguiars Polish (once a year).
3. Meguiars Ultimate Wax. (Note- Ultimate Wax is superior to the excellent NXT Tech Wax).
4. Meguiars Ultimate Detail Spray.

Needless to say, make sure you use clean wax application pads, microfiber cloths, etc.

I have found Meguiars products easy to find, very affordable and simple to use.

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. See below.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Turtle wax Ice hard shell (synthetic) or Magruire's tech wax? Any advice?
I use Turtle Wax Ice Liquid and like it because you can put it on everything - plastic, rubber, paint, whatever and it leaves no white residue and lasts a good 3 months.
Yeah I was going to ask when you apply the Ice Turtle wax? I just bought one today.. So pretty much apply every 3 months? So for the turtle wax "quick wax" would be fine if I applied it every weekend? That being said, would it take off the wax or help more? Then at the end of the 3rd month do you just reapply or wash it with dawn to get rid of the old wax the apply new one?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Yeah I was going to ask when you apply the Ice Turtle wax? I just bought one today.. So pretty much apply every 3 months? So for the turtle wax "quick wax" would be fine if I applied it every weekend? That being said, would it take off the wax or help more? Then at the end of the 3rd month do you just reapply or wash it with dawn to get rid of the old wax the apply new one?
Before I go any further, let me say that I do not make washing/waxing my car a science project. I like easy.

My weekly cleaning consists of Surf City Rinse Free Car wash and if I'm feeling enthusiastic I'll follow up with Griot's Spray Wax. I don't see any reason why the TW Quick Wax couldn't be used instead, nor would it remove any underlying wax.

Every 3 months I do a two-bucket wash and then Turtle Wax Ice liquid.

In the spring I go through the whole routine - clay bar, polish, seal and wax.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've been using Meguiars Ultimate products for years. I've tried other brands, and while some are easy to work with, i always return back to Meguiars. Every spring I wash with dawn, claybar, wash again, polish with Meguiars 205 mirror finish show car glaze using my Porter Cable DA polish/buffer. When I'm happy with the shine, no swirl marks or tiny little scratches, then the Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax.
The rest of the time before winter comes, I use again, Meguiars Ultimate car wash and if necessary the Ultimate quick detailer.
If you ask 100 people about their method, you'll get 100 different answers. Do what works best for you. I've found that the Ultimate products all work great together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If you ask 100 people about their method, you'll get 100 different answers.
Exactly!

Any line of premium car care products will yield outstanding results if properly applied. Just determine your level of enthusiasm and go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FWIW, When I went to PPG paint school for instructors I discovered they only use Maguire products. I had developed a preference for them a couple of years prior.

·
Registered
811 Posts
simoniz glasscoat

What is the best paint protection on the market? simoniz glasscoat, has anyone used this?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,233 Posts
Collinite 845 Insulator wax

I'll be trying the Collinite for the first time this fall as I winterized Renny. Looking forward to it actually. Been very satisfied with my Duragloss sealant, but am always on the lookout for even better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2016 SRT
223 Posts
A few years back it was suggested to me that I use Zaino products. I tried them and they seem good. Any thoughts or experience with those?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'll be trying the Collinite for the first time this fall as I winterized Renny. Looking forward to it actually. Been very satisfied with my Duragloss sealant, but am always on the lookout for even better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Collinite 845 is awesome. Cheap, easy on/easy off, lasts through north east winters and the shine and slickness are great. Ive been using it for a few years. Its also great as a WOWO on exterior black trim.

This year, for added protection (overkill?) I started using Menzerna Power Lock before applying 845

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
There are a million answers to the question of which wax and how often. And almost all of them are good.

I correct the paint on my Pitch Black car twice each year with DA orbital machine, using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by Ultimate Polish.
I use Collonite 845 wax about four times per year (after correcting the paint plus twice otherwise). Goes on in almost a liquid composition, spreads easily, and removes easily once it hazes. Apply it to corrected paint and the car feels like glass dipped in butter. Best damn wax I've ever used.
I do in-between touch-ups on a clean car with Meguiar's Ultimate Qwik Wax (spray).
I do almost daily wipe-downs with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer.

Excellent results.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've been using Meguiars Ultimate products for years. I've tried other brands, and while some are easy to work with, i always return back to Meguiars. Every spring I wash with dawn, claybar, wash again, polish with Meguiars 205 mirror finish show car glaze using my Porter Cable DA polish/buffer. When I'm happy with the shine, no swirl marks or tiny little scratches, then the Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax.
The rest of the time before winter comes, I use again, Meguiars Ultimate car wash and if necessary the Ultimate quick detailer.
If you ask 100 people about their method, you'll get 100 different answers. Do what works best for you. I've found that the Ultimate products all work great together.
^^^^
This right here. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts