Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps what kind of wax do you use on your cars? I have a '12 rt and its clean but I want that showroom look at me glossy finish

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey peeps what kind of wax do you use on your cars? I have a '12 rt and its clean but I want that showroom look at me glossy finish
I use Meguiars black spray on wax. I have a black Challenger - so I wash it with Meguiars by hand always - never in a car wash, then dry it and put on the Meguiar's spray wax. Car looks like it was poured out of a chocolate factory. Unreal the shine and depth it gives to the paint.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
You say your R/T is "clean", but is it really? Before you focus on waxes or other coatings, inspect your paint under direct sunlight or LED lights. If you have swirls in your paint (from mechanical or improper washing) and you take steps to get rid of those swirls, you will "brighten up" your paint doing that alone.

As for wax, I use Collinite #476. It is a highly durable carnauba/synthetic wax mix that gives the car that "deep wet" look. I had used Collinite's #845 Insulator wax, and before that Four Star UPP sealant, but they give more of a "hard candy shell" look than I wanted.

Reactions: FreddyG and A Guy

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I use Wolfgang's Sealant followed by Meguairs Spray-on Wax. I use just the spray on wax after regular washes.

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
You say your R/T is "clean", but is it really? Before you focus on waxes or other coatings, inspect your paint under direct sunlight or LED lights. If you have swirls in your paint (from mechanical or improper washing) and you take steps to get rid of those swirls, you will "brighten up" your paint doing that alone.

As for wax, I use Collinite #476. It is a highly durable carnauba/synthetic wax mix that gives the car that "deep wet" look. I had used Collinite's #845 Insulator wax, and before that Four Star UPP sealant, but they give more of a "hard candy shell" look than I wanted.

Absolutely stunning!! Car looks fantastic. I'm taking notes! Perhaps Meguiars has some new competition.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts

Show off ;) :thumbsup:

A Guy

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
Reactions: swiftjr

·
Super Moderator
14,193 Posts
There are several excellent car waxes available. For price, availability and ease of use, I prefer Meguiars' products. Specifically, here are my detailing steps:

1. Wash with Meguiars Gold car wash, using the showcar style 2-bucket washing method (see video link).
2. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Polish (annually).
3. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Wax (liquid or paste).
4. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Detail Spray (every two weeks).

(Note: Use microfiber polishing clothes)

Here is my 8 year old, 2009 Hemi orange SRT at last summer's car show.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There are several excellent car waxes available. For price, availability and ease of use, I prefer Meguiars' products. Specifically, here are my detailing steps:

1. Wash with Meguiars Gold car wash, using the showcar style 2-bucket washing method (see video link).
2. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Polish (annually).
3. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Wax (liquid or paste).
4. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Detail Spray (every two weeks).

(Note: Use microfiber polishing clothes)

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!) - YouTube

Here is my 8 year old, 2009 Hemi orange SRT at last summer's car show.
So what's the easiest and/or best way to take care of those "mechanical swirls" first?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

So what's the easiest and/or best way to take care of those "mechanical swirls" first?

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
Reactions: swiftjr

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
If you've never done paint correction before (I hadn't), it's easy to learn if you have the patience. Personally, it's like therapy for me.

First, watch the Junkman videos on youtube for some "how to" instructions on using a DA (Dual Action) polisher. There's also car detailing forums on the Intraweb that also carry "how to" videos.

You can buy a "starter" polisher from Harbor Freight for $50-$75.

Basically, using a DA with the appropriate colored pad and appropriate polish/compound for the degree of severity of your swirls is how you correct your paint. It really isn't something that can be achieved by hand.

Glazes can be used to hide light swirls, as can waxes with fillers, but that's all you'd be doing, "hiding" the swirls until the wax/glaze wears off.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
@PaVaSteeler...have any vids with those side pipes in action?
Sidepipes opened at the 15 second mark....headphones recommended

Here's a video shot this past Monday at an impromptu memorial meetup for a fellow enthusiast who recently passed away.

The Steel Curtain Challenger is highlighted at the 5:32 mark (factory to sidepipes), 9:17 and 10:34 marks (drivebys)....courtesy of CTCharger

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just about any Adams polish products but I really love the brilliant glaze with patriot wax combo. Gives best shine I have ever been able to produce. And I have used plenty. But yes make sure to do a paint correction first and annually.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Do not take my word for it, take a look at the 9+ page on here. I have tried them all! Wolfgang (100's of dollars), F11 Topcoat, nothing makes my car shine like Evershine. I even took a "Best of Show" last year with 100k on my car. Simply the best and inexpensive to boot!

The thing to remember is it what's underneath. If you can feel bumps or grit when your car is clean, clay bay, or save yourself hours and Nanoskin. I wash and Nanoskin my car in an hour! Even the Dodge dealership asked how did I keep my paint so "smooth". When people feel my paint after seeing it, that's when I get me detail jobs. I recently detailed a 1941 Ford, the owner had never won at a car show. 10+ year old paint. After my detail, first show, "Best Paint!"

If anyone is interested, I have an email I send out with all of the products and steps I use. It takes me 5-6 hours to give a car exterior a "Show Car Detail". The following pictures are of my car and others I have detailed. Most recently a 2016 Challenger with tar and overspray all over it.

]

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
645 Posts
As others have said or alluded to....it’s as much about the process as the product brand.

Wash using two buckets (one for suds and one for rinsing the mitt between sections). Use at least two mitts (one for the top half of the car and one for the bottom half. Even a third mitt for the wheels). Wash in straight lines working front to back.

Dry using waffle-weave or plush microfiber towels. Pat the car dry instead of dragging the towel across the car.

Clay bar once a year. Lots of kits available. Mothers is readily available and works well. Even new cars need claying to remove rail dust and industrial fallout from its trip from the factory to the dealer.

Best results come from a multi-step system. A pre-wax cleaner to prep the paint. A sealer or polish to nourish the paint, fill minor flaws, and create gloss. Finish with a quality wax to protect your work from the day-to-day elements.

Then use a spray wax following a wash to act as a booster.

Swirl removal or paint correction will only happen with a buffer. Porter Cables have been around a long time and are effective but they’re a little heavy. Mothers and Griots offer nice machines for the hobbiest. There are better options for aspiring pro detailers.

·
Super Moderator
14,193 Posts
Meguiars Ultimate Polish will take care of light swirl marks. Heavier swirls can be safely removed using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, a clear coat safe “paint cleaner.” Never use a harsh traditional style compounds, as they can damage/haze the finish.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks swiftjr. You pretty much made me spend some of my hard earned cash. I just placed an order for some wax and spray polish from evershine. Now I have a couple days to find room on my wax / polish / cleaning supplies shelf ;).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts