Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
on my 2016 challenger i have the stripes the surround the shaker and go to the trunk lid. they are matte. i guess they are vinyl. can i use meguiars nxt 2.0 on the paint and the stripes? can i use the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax spray on the stripes? i plan on hand application no machines or DA. i know i can't use the swirl x on them.

or would the turtle wax ice liquid and spray be better?

any help because i am ready to wax and get some of the swirl marks from previous owner gone.

pics of the stripes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Any wax you use will put a glossy shine on the matte stripes. Although a bit pricey, I use Dr. Beasley’s on my matte finishes. Dr. Beasley’s does a great job & a little goes a very long way which takes some sting out of the purchase cost. McKees also makes products for matte finishes & I think some folks on the forum use Chemical Guys products. Looking forward to pictures when you’re done!

·
Super Moderator
15,333 Posts
be careful not to get any wax at the edges of the stripes - it takes some effort to get that residue out, and it will show if you end up with that.

The OEM vinyl although matte, doesn't have a high texture to it. I'd go lightly on the vinyl as to not burnish and make any high / low areas that might get glossy or wear down the surface layer of the vinyl.

Similar thing is the satin black on the shaker scoop or the trim ring, rear spoiler and fuel door. Those paints don't use the polishes and waxes that would be used on high gloss paint

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
be careful not to get any wax at the edges of the stripes - it takes some effort to get that residue out, and it will show if you end up with that.

The OEM vinyl although matte, doesn't have a high texture to it. I'd go lightly on the vinyl as to not burnish and make any high / low areas that might get glossy or wear down the surface layer of the vinyl.

Similar thing is the satin black on the shaker scoop or the trim ring, rear spoiler and fuel door. Those paints don't use the polishes and waxes that would be used on high gloss paint
cool so i can use the nxt wax on the stripes just be ease and not rub to hard. i plan to use 303 proctectant for the shaker, wing and shaker surround.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I like the Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax because you can use it full sun and won't leave white residue on black. Works great on the shaker...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've used meguire's gold and ultimate. Neither leave white crusty paste on plastic or the stripes and shaker vinyl ring around the hood scoop. I don't wax the plastic scoop, just dry it off so no water spots. Wax on the strips does not make it smooth, just a little shiny and keeps it from looking dry and getting water spots. I have also sprayed meguire's detail spray (that comes with the clay kit) on a soft cloth and wiped the hood strips to make it look more even and reduce water spoting. Used all of these on plastic rear spoiler as well. It buffs off and leaves no white paste crap like the old turtle waxes.

Also used my Harley detailer wax with no issues. S100 detailer/wax leaves no heavy haze and buffs up nicely.

Also have tried turtle wax spray product that you spray on after rinsing/wet, then dry car with microfiber towel shines as you dry. https://www.target.com/p/turtle-wax-1-step-wax-dry-26-oz/-/A-13727482?sid=2315S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Home+Improvement+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Home+Improvement&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9002599&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvpXH-t_a2AIVSz2BCh0zFA3uEAQYASABEgKmqPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have used Meguires black spray wax on both of my black Challengers - the first was the R/T and the second is my 6.4 Bee. Love it. Leaves no white residue and will actually fill in some of the road nicks a car can get. I clean it by hand- never the car wash- don't want the swirls in the paint- then spray on the wax section by section and buff it out with a micro cloth. Car looks beautiful- like glass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great will look for the Meguiars black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts