Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a car yesterday at a dealer (shopping) that I beleive has a tune on it. It was very fast compared to some others I have driven. The car was obviously modified in other ways. It was a '16 Scat Pack with SRT pages enabled, so I know a tazer had been used on it. It also had a strut brace, cold air intake and a catch can.

The MPG was showing around 15. Is that a telltale sign of an ecu tune?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I drove a car yesterday at a dealer (shopping) that I beleive has a tune on it. It was very fast compared to some others I have driven. The car was obviously modified in other ways. It was a '16 Scat Pack with SRT pages enabled, so I know a tazer had been used on it. It also had a strut brace, cold air intake and a catch can.

The MPG was showing around 15. Is that a telltale sign of an ecu tune?

No way of telling just by that. The dealer could tell you for sure, if you ask. My 5.7l R/T with the Scat Pack 1 PCM gets around 15-16 mpg, not tune on it.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
If they plug it in they will know even if there was a tune and put back to stock. If the car is. Ertified preowned it should have been plugged in to check the wcu and updated which would revert it to stock. Traditionally dealers don't sell modified vehicles especially because of if it's still under warranty. Things like this is why I wouldn't buy a used performance car, if it's going to be flogged it would be me doing it, not someone else and then they sell it when they're done. Now the next guy ends up with whatever result from that.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The window sticker said "AS-IS NO WARRANTY" and the salesman assured me it would have the factory warranty, lol.

Only 2200 miles on the car. Probably got them 1/4 mile at a time!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should add, this car IS on a Dodge lot. Supposedly the owner traded it in for a Hellcat a few weeks back.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
The window sticker said "AS-IS NO WARRANTY" and the salesman assured me it would have the factory warranty, lol.

Now there's conflicting information. and what's the likely outcome.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I bought the car it would have to be at a steep discount after they acknowledged there was no warranty .

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
634 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts

Do Not believe him, even if you get it in writing..... The warranty was probably voided when-if it was tuned. Even if they set it back to stock they have it on record for that Vin. I bet they put it back to a stock tune to get it to pass emissions. Unless they accept an offer of 10k for it, after restoring the previous tune or unlocking the PCM since they probably locked it, run away from it.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This car is not one I am seriously entertaining now that I have checked it out. If they took 28k for it, I'd buy it. But right now they are asking 38k, so I doubt that would happen. Compared to a car that is out of warranty due to age and mileage, and considering I would want to do most of the same mods to my own car, 28k would make sense. But it will never happen, so on to the next one. I'll probably end up buying new. The used cars around here are just priced too high when compared to buying a leftover 16 or 17.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
If dealer prints out the service history, won't that show any warranty issues or restrictions?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
If dealer prints out the service history, won't that show any warranty issues or restrictions?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Yes, the multi-vin report shows all of that. Many dealers won't show you that report, but you can get your hands on it. Resume Speed gave me mine.

I know dealerships here that show the as-is, no warranty sticker in every used car. Most likely that car has the factory warranty left on it, but you'd need to see that report to see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts