·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2:50 in......

·
Premium Member
7,317 Posts
My compressor at home fills my tires with abut 78% nitrogen. That's all the nitrogen my tires (or anybody's tires on a street car) will need.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My compressor at home fills my tires with abut 78% nitrogen. That's all the nitrogen my tires (or anybody's tires on a street car) will need.
The only down side is MOISTURE created by the compressor. So you need a water seperator on your compressor.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
My Mopar 10 came with a Plastic bag and card in the glove box with a web address where I registered. It mentioned Nitrogen and I had no idea what it meant. My wheels do have the fluorscent green caps.
Question: Can I fill them with air if they are low on pressure? If not, where can one get Nitrogen to fill the tires. Thanks for your help guys..:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Yeah, you can use plain air. The whole nitrogen thing is a gimmick at best.

Tom

My Mopar 10 came with a Plastic bag and card in the glove box with a web address where I registered. It mentioned Nitrogen and I had no idea what it meant. My wheels do have the fluorscent green caps.
Question: Can I fill them with air if they are low on pressure? If not, where can one get Nitrogen to fill the tires. Thanks for your help guys..:scratchhead:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nitrogen-filled tires maintain proper pressure longer, therefore cars with nitrogen-filled tires get better gas mileage for longer. However, to fill your tires with nitrogen can cost up to $10 a tire. Air will cost you 25¢. If you have a pump it's free. Just maintain proper air pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
From Wikipedia: Air is the name given to atmosphere used in breathing and photosynthesis. Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide,

You think 20% will make a noticeable difference, especially at the cost?
This of course is assuming that you get 100% pure nitrogen in your tires with no impurities which is almost never the case.

Pump Your Tires with Nitrogen–Gimmick or Performance Tool? | Autopia | Wired.com
Tires - Nitrogen air loss study

And of course

http://tirenitrogen.typepad.com/files/mythbusting-feb09-final.pdf

Nitrogen in tires is akin to Monster Cable in the audio world. Over-hyped, under-delivered.

Care to quote your source on that statement?

Tom

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
And if they are, remove them right away and put basic plastic ones on.

The aluminum caps will corrode and will cost you a TPS sensor when you try to remove them.

Tom
Can aluminum corrode?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I have had alloy caps on my stems since September of 2010, to date, no evidence of corrosion in the least. Mind you, I do not drive on salty roads... ever.

As for nitrogen, this is not worth getting bent out of shape over. My local tire guy and I have a great working relationship. He purged and bled and repurged my tires using a special nitrogen machine in his shop, and he did it at no cost since I buy my tires from him. I did extensive pressure monitoring testing both before switching to nitrogen, and again afterwards to see if there was really any noticeable difference.

What I found was a significant decrease in pressure variations with ambient temperature with nitrogen in the tires vs. plain old air. In my mind, data is data, it doesn't lie, it was not tweaked. It's more work to run nitrogen, why in the world would I or anyone else do it unless it made a difference?? I keep a separate 10 gallon air tank at home that I keep filled with nitrogen just for topping off the tires in the Challenger. Oh yea, this also gets filled for free as needed.

Little yanks my chain more than someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, so they just bad mouth something because they don't understand it. Unfortunately, this gives a false impression and opinion to others who are also ignorant and so it spreads.

Look for the thread I posted the data in last year, it's in here somewhere... I have to get to work installing my Nitrous kit. Or is nitrous just a big scam too?! Sorry, cranky from working 24 hours straight without sleep... forgive me.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair-questions/4302788

http://www.motorsportreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45:nitrogen-in-your-tires-pros-and-cons&catid=1:latest-news

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
There's plenty of threads on broken stems on LXForums. I personally lost 2 TPS sensors on my Magnum (daily driver) cause we couldn't get the caps off and the stem snapped off with a moderate amount of pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
There's plenty of threads on broken stems on LXForums. I personally lost 2 TPS sensors on my Magnum (daily driver) cause we couldn't get the caps off and the stem snapped off with a moderate amount of pressure.
I don't question what you're saying at all. All I'm saying is that I've had no problems with the alloy caps I've run for the last 9 months.

Well, that's not entirely true, the purple has faded away and now they almost look pink, and that's not good at all...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pfft. Nitrogen is for wimps. I fill mine with Hydrogen :)
Hydrogen is for geeks & trolls....i fill mine with helium!
(also makes the 392 quite a bit lighter!!):browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
My Challenger has green plastic caps. I did not notice if it came that way or they where dealer installed. I did watch them deflate my tires and fill them with nitrogen when I took delivery after I bought it. I was pretty excited and didn't look at the details that close.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts