Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from road trip, Car threw a code, took it to parts store to get read. P0430

Guy suggested fuel system cleaner and a reset. A week later code came back up. Immediately took to dealer. They tell me that they were instructed to flash the PCM and TCM and run the car a few cycles to see if the code is cleared. If it comes back they will need to replace the cat.

Car has 18k miles on it. Does this sound right to you guys that know way more then me?

Thanks for the help.
W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
It's unlikely that your catalytic converter failed after only 18,000 miles.

A P0430 code means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). Before making you spend a lot of money to replace the converter, your dealer should measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on bank 2 (it may no longer be functioning properly) and look for an exhaust leak.

One thing to note is that, if you are out of your new car bumper-to-bumper coverage, many vehicle manufacturers offer a five-year, unlimited mileage warranty on many emissions parts. It's worth checking into.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2016 fully covered, but just sounded odd to me. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe loose or bad wires on o2 sensor. Bad o2 sensor, doubt as stated above a bad cat. If they foot the bill which Im sure they will since it is emissions related let them change it because you never know.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just talked to the service advisor. He said the cat needs to be changed, said its "broken" inside.

I asked how that could happen, and he said he doesn't know and there was zero damage to the outside of it so it couldn't be my fault.

This all just seems really odd to me, thank god for warranties.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I even asked to ensure they double checked the o2 sensors and he claims that all checked out fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got the car back today. They replaced the cat. Tech claims after testing all of the sensors, he tapped on the cat and there was a rattle. When he pulled it off it was busted up inside.
They replaced it without a hassle (warranty) since there was no evidence of any impact or external damage. Hopefully that is the end of that, no codes at the moment.
W

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Catalytic convertors can fail, but usually after many miles. I had one fail on my beater Ford and the insides were all loose. But that was after 95,000 miles. Glad you got your Challenger fixed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke too soon, threw the same code today. I asked to speak to the tech rather then the service advisor.
He swears he checked the sensors. He said he would need to Check the gas tank. He asked if I'd been running racing fuel in it. Says if the original suspected bad gas damaged the fuel pump it would not be covered by the warranty.
Could any of that cause cat converter codes? Seems nuts to me.
Insult to injury, can't offer me a rental until they start working on it on Monday.
Ugh!

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
So the original converter was broken up inside and now the are saying bad gas or race gas may have damaged the fuel pump?

Be very careful in dealing with these people it sounds like they don't know what they are doing or are fishing for a way to get out of the repairs - or possibly there is just confusion/miscommunication at work.

The only way that I know of that gas could damage the converter is if you ran leaded gas.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they gave me a rental today a base model charger.

I asked what's going on and they are now replacing three O2 sensors, when I asked why not all four, they claimed that's what the star case told them to do.
At least I am no longer stranded and at the mercy of their courtesy shuttle.
Ugh.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer just got back to me. Here is what he said:
"It's done you can pick it up. Chrysler said the vehicle with the new cat just has to be driven hard and broken in."
Does that sound right to you guys?
W

·
Registered
156 Posts
The cat being broken is the only thing that made sense to me here. My company makes catalytic converters. I can tell you from experience that they are pretty brittle. If it rattled loose somehow and then you hit a big bump, it could possibly break/chip.

If it was bad gas, wouldn't both cats be messed up?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just went and picked her up. Dirtiest the car has ever been. They replaced 3 O2 sensors, reset the code. In the process, my tail pipes are crooked and I have paint messed up on the door.
Service tech says "we can fix the pipes tomorrow, and I will talk to the body shop about the door and get back to you."
FML
Pics ina minute.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here it is:

At least the pipes is just loosening a few bolts and wiggling it straight.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
So the original converter was broken up inside and now the are saying bad gas or race gas may have damaged the fuel pump?

Be very careful in dealing with these people it sounds like they don't know what they are doing or are fishing for a way to get out of the repairs - or possibly there is just confusion/miscommunication at work.

The only way that I know of that gas could damage the converter is if you ran leaded gas.
Often what can wreck the substrate is overheating the cats - either a very rich mixture or if running lean this can heat the cat up as well.

Two of my GM cars had cat substrate break up - both around 95-100K.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow I can't believe this is still going on.
So after picking up my car...
The door ding repair looked like a drunk teenager with the wrong color nail polish slathered the spots. (Pictures did not seem to show the mess)
The pipes were the same, because they could not fix them since my mid pipes were cut off the same week I bought the car, and they claim they did not make them crooked.
I leave mad and annoyed, and figure I'll figure it out on my own. On the way home the GD Light comes back on!
The car is in the shop again, they swear they will fix the paint right and figure out the code. I would have taken it elsewhere, but the guy from FCA customer service suggested giving them one more shot to get it right and promised to stay on them about it.
BTW thanks Nuke, you convinced me that it is okay to wash and detail a rental. I spent 5 hours perfecting the outside of a base model charger...
W

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And the service manager says "the problem must be me hacking off the mid pipes, so it won't be covered."
I explain I put 17k miles on it since then, that theory doesn't hold water.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts