Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard any rumors about anybody besides Hurst releasing a short-throw shifter for our six-speed cars? I'm crossing my fingers that MGW will release one. My buddy just put one in his WS6 Trans-Am and it beats any Hurst that I've ever shifted! We need to let these manufacturers know about it, if enough of us get e-mails to them maybe we'll get some results.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had a MGW in my 04 cobra, Nice piece, not sure why they need more for the challenger, it felt pretty short throw in the srt8 i drove. I did like being able to rotate the shift handle to a position more comfortable to use, and where i didn't have to reach to get it into 5th or reverse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got a mopar brand short throw from my dealer, it uses the same shift housing but a shorter stick, it really made a difference.

·
Banned
928 Posts
Hurst makes sense for our cars with the PISTOL grip heritage etc. and Dodge/Mopar sell it O.E. and through Mopar Performance. In Sheer #'s of our vehicles vs. say that of the Camaro and Mustang the pond is only so Big and Hurst dominates that pond to be honest.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a MGW in my 04 cobra, Nice piece, not sure why they need more for the challenger, it felt pretty short throw in the srt8 i drove. I did like being able to rotate the shift handle to a position more comfortable to use, and where i didn't have to reach to get it into 5th or reverse.
I agree that the factory shifter has a decent feel to it-that's why for now I built a custom, shorter stick that would accommodate any 1/2" knob or grip. I went with a hurst pistol grip. My only gripe about the factory shifter is that it feels like it could use a stiffer return or centering spring to make it more precise. It may just be my car but it feels like the factory shifter has just a little too much slop in it-especially as much as we pay for the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts