Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2013 SXT back in 2015 and since then I’ve managed to go through 4 pairs of rear tires because the tread wears down so fast on them. Each pair lasts around 6k-10k miles and it’s not because of my driving habits. Never burnt the tires on purpose and am really confused on what to do about it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Have you had the car in to service for a 4 wheel alignment? There could also be something broken back there but you would probably feel that when driving it. Anyhow, getting an alignment at least once a year is a must to ensure good tire wear....also make sure you are rotating the tires every 4 or 5 thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just to offer a reference point, the tires on my SXT lasted 42K miles, zero burnout. I probably could have maybe log another 1-2K miles before I really had to.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My drag tires don’t even go that fast yikes. Get aligned.

Reactions: ChaseBastin12

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you had the car in to service for a 4 wheel alignment? There could also be something broken back there but you would probably feel that when driving it. Anyhow, getting an alignment at least once a year is a must to ensure good tire wear....also make sure you are rotating the tires every 4 or 5 thousand miles.

No I have not, and yeah if there was anything broken I would feel it but the car drives great so I wouldn’t suspect anything anyways

·
Super Moderator
14,905 Posts
After you have the alignment checked, I would buy a tire with a high wear rating. The new Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 ultra high performance all-season tire, with a 500 AAA rating, is an excellent choice. I have them on my SRT and they perform great.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wear pattern

You should have plenty of data on the wear pattern. Are they wearing evenly or showing signs of underinflation or over inflation? Hard to believe the condition could exist across many years/sets of tires though. I am thinking that a four wheel alignment would show you if the rear axle is not perpendicular to the road causing the car to crab a little. Has it ever been hit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should have plenty of data on the wear pattern. Are they wearing evenly or showing signs of underinflation or over inflation? Hard to believe the condition could exist across many years/sets of tires though. I am thinking that a four wheel alignment would show you if the rear axle is not perpendicular to the road causing the car to crab a little. Has it ever been hit?

My back right quarter panel was hit but it was only minor, now that I think of it it could’ve messed with my alignment but that was 3 yrs ago and about the time I started to see my tires wear down. And the tires are inflated properly, definitely not under inflated. And the wear pattern is even across the whole tire

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,399 Posts
Even a sticky summer tire should last longer. I'm getting 30k-32k on all four tires (all season tires) on my R/T, That's two sets Goodyear, two sets Nitto, one set Continental. You should be getting that or more.....

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,169 Posts
we are really talking about this? drive a Honda if U WANT tread wear life....

Sell your car ASAP due to bad MPG and HEAVY CLUB FOOT !!!

tires are cheap, get over it @@

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts
My back right quarter panel was hit but it was only minor, now that I think of it it could’ve messed with my alignment but that was 3 yrs ago and about the time I started to see my tires wear down. And the tires are inflated properly, definitely not under inflated. And the wear pattern is even across the whole tire
Think you answered your own question. Good chance the rear cradle and / or suspension was moved in the collision.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
Since we don't know what tires you are buying, we are just guessing here.

Alignment could definitely be the problem. I also have to ask if you rotate the tires?

Getting so few miles out of the rear tires, when you are not doing burnouts is crazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Because this car is unibody, the rear quarters carry a LOT of stress since they're part of the main body shell, even on your SXT. Since you took a hit there, there's a really good chance your alignment is badly off, especially since you haven't had it checked in 4+ years.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it makes you feel better I will only get 12K out of my all season Pzero Nero's. They hadn't been rotated until 11.5K and wear was pretty even...dealer reported 3/32" left on what was the front pair and 2/32" on the back. A few recreational burn outs but nothing exotic. Luckily I found a great deal on replacements!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts