Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My weatherstrip between the top of the front bumper and edge of the hood needs replacing badly, the whole line of rubber is ripped.

everytime i get my car washed, water gets inside which is not good. So is there a way of removing that without having to buy 11 new plastic bolts that comes with it? Like is there a way of removing the weather strip without breaking them? As i just want to order the new weatherstrip thats all.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The plastic rivets are one time use. I know it's about $65 worth of rivets to put on a $20 part.

I just installed one of these on a customer's car yesterday. If you are looking to lower the cost, an alternative fastener will need to be found.

You could go to a body shop and ask if they have any trim clips in an appropriate size that could work. These are often around $1 each.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My weatherstrip between the top of the front bumper and edge of the hood needs replacing badly, the whole line of rubber is ripped.

everytime i get my car washed, water gets inside which is not good. So is there a way of removing that without having to buy 11 new plastic bolts that comes with it? Like is there a way of removing the weather strip without breaking them? As i just want to order the new weatherstrip thats all.
I just installed the weatherstrip a few minutes ago and used these rivets from Ebay. For $8.25 shipped for 25 that will be good for a few installs.

On another note, I don't know why the dealer used aluminum rivets the last time they replace the weather strip SMDH.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
My weatherstrip between the top of the front bumper and edge of the hood needs replacing badly, the whole line of rubber is ripped. everytime i get my car washed, water gets inside which is not good. So is there a way of removing that without having to buy 11 new plastic bolts that comes with it? Like is there a way of removing the weather strip without breaking them? As i just want to order the new weatherstrip thats all.

I had to replace the one on my 2010 years ago. I found these tiny X-mas tree retainers at ACE Hardware and they worked well instead of the plastic rivets. Or you can get replacement plastic rivets for a fraction of the cost of dealership at ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 plum crazy purple R/T Scat Pack
1,091 Posts
Cheap ass part!!! I've replaced it twice and it needs to be replaced again...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just installed the weatherstrip a few minutes ago and used these rivets from Ebay. For $8.25 shipped for 25 that will be good for a few installs.

On another note, I don't know why the dealer used aluminum rivets the last time they replace the weather strip SMDH.
That's a good deal. I can guess why they used aluminum.

1. They didn't realize they needed 11 plastic ones so they used what they had.
2. They incorrectly bid the job without realizing that they would need 11 plastic rivets at $6 each for OEM.

I absolutely hate dealing with metal rivets in plastic parts.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had the dealer replace mine, under warranty, one week before it expired. I know a guy who went and bought the weather strip used on the bottom of garage doors. They come in all different sizes. Instead of drilling and putting in those rivets that don't look OEM, he just ran a strip of quarter inch 3M double sided tape and attached the rubber seal to it. Looked great and lasted a long time without any rivets showing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts