Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to hear from people who have put/used a weighted shift knob on their 6MT, preferably on the stock shifter.

I ask, cause I've been reading a few good things about weighted shift knobs, but the couple things I read were people who had Barton or other aftermarket shifters. It seems like the benefit would be there with the stock one too but wasn't sure. My RT is a lease so I don't think I want to be swapping out the whole shifter on it.

Currently I am eyeing a matte black Barton weighted shift knob to use with the Lou's short shifter stick on mine (that would work with an adapter right?). Also if anyone has one these barton weighted knobs, how hot do they get in the summer? Would the matte black be any cooler? It's painted metal though right? I live in Phoenix is why I ask, though I have covered parking at work thank god.

And open to any recommendations for other weighted shift knobs. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I had a heavy steel ball that came in my 04 Mach1....I hated it because of the heft and it got very hot in the summer. I changed it to the classic plastic ball and it was better in every way including ease of shifting....Prolly boils down to personal preference...good luck

·
Registered
303 Posts
There's a post in the "Performance" forums where a guy says a weighted shift ball has virtually eliminated the 1st to 2nd shift nibble. Interesting.
I too have a problem with the shift handle (Hurst "T" handle on a Barton shifter) getting hot in the summer. In my case, the problem only occurs if the car has been parked in direct sunlight for several hours in the summer. The remedy for me is to simply keep a microfiber towel in the glove box. I cover the handle if I know it will be parked in the sun for an hour or more. Helps quite a bit!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Ive been using the stock shifter ball that cane with my barton. I think its fine but i cant saw how it will be on the stock shifter. One thing ill mention is sonce its a glossy ball, it starts to pinch the base of my middle finger any time im going into 2nd or fourth due to the glossiness. No biggie but it is what it is. Ive now formed a callous in that area haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts