Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day I had my Hazards on and I could hear the engine going along with the hazards as they go off and on, the sound of the engine was going down and up along with the hazards, is this an indication that the battery needs changing or its something else?

I went into the EVIC hidden menu and the battery voltage showed 12.5 and kept switching between 12.5 and 12.4

Usually it should be between 13 to 14 volts right?

Someone chip in and tell me its my battery and not the alternator....

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Has the car been sitting in storage, or have you driven it recently?

It seems like your alternator is dead if you are only seeing 12.5 Volts. It should show 13.8 or so. It sounds as if you are just running on battery power.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has the car been sitting in storage, or have you driven it recently?

It seems like your alternator is dead if you are only seeing 12.5 Volts. It should show 13.8 or so. It sounds as if you are just running on battery power.
Its daily driven, but the previous owner didnt use it much, only on the weekends, thats it.

If alternator was dead, car wouldnt be running at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We had a similar problem with my sons Charger. Issues with dash and instrument lights dimming, headlights looking as though they were dimming at times also. Checked the battery and it was at 12.4 or .5. Put in a new battery and all was fine for a day or 2, then same issue. Charged battery up and good to go again for very short period. Took it to a shop and they checked the alternator and said it was bad. Replaced the alternator all issues were gone. Been 2 years now and no battery or alternator issues. With the engine running check the battery voltage, if it is 13 or above then the alternator is probably good and if not replace it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had a similar problem with my sons Charger. Issues with dash and instrument lights dimming, headlights looking as though they were dimming at times also. Checked the battery and it was at 12.4 or .5. Put in a new battery and all was fine for a day or 2, then same issue. Charged battery up and good to go again for very short period. Took it to a shop and they checked the alternator and said it was bad. Replaced the alternator all issues were gone. Been 2 years now and no battery or alternator issues. With the engine running check the battery voltage, if it is 13 or above then the alternator is probably good and if not replace it.
Im still having this issue, put in a new mopar alternator closer to the beginning of this year and new battery too the next day as the car died when I drove around for abit and parked it up, wouldnt start, so had to get new battery (Exide battery). Its been good up to now, but im still seeing feeling the steering is taking a slight load on the engine when steering left and right stationary and while trying to reverse park too i can see the front lights + rear lights flickering very slightly and the speedometer lights too. Could this be due to low fluid in the steering reservoir causing the not so smooth movements?

Maybe steering fuse needs checking? While driving its perfectly fine. Need this sorted as its doing my head for a year now!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The other day I had my Hazards on and I could hear the engine going along with the hazards as they go off and on, the sound of the engine was going down and up along with the hazards, is this an indication that the battery needs changing or its something else?

I went into the EVIC hidden menu and the battery voltage showed 12.5 and kept switching between 12.5 and 12.4

Usually it should be between 13 to 14 volts right?

Someone chip in and tell me its my battery and not the alternator....

Have you checked the recalls of your vehicle?
I don't know what year and model your Challenger is, but I remember there was a recall for an alternator problem.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked the recalls of your vehicle?
I don't know what year and model your Challenger is, but I remember there was a recall for an alternator problem.
Its a 2014, not sure how to check the recalls buddy, how do you do it?

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
46 Posts
On iOS it is called “My Mopar”

1 - 10 of 10 Posts