Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been getting a weird knock sound coming from the driver's side when exiting my driveway. It occurs pulling out when the passenger side wheel is down first I hear a knock sound. My car is a 2018 Scat Pack with 5,000 miles on it. I recently put the Petty's Double strut brace on and don't know if this caused me to be able to hear the noise more or what. Everything else is stock other than the Hellcat intake box.

I've read in previous threads some people found the sway bar end links weren't tight enough, and some people had bad bushings. I don't expect bad bushings at 5,000 miles, but bolts not tight enough I could see happening on a brand new car.

I will be scheduling an oil change soon at the dealer and plan to have them look at it, just want to tell them where to start because I know they'll say nothing is wrong with it.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start checking bolts, that's what I would do.
I would too. I just don't know where to start, and whether I'm going in the right direction. Also, I don't know what torque specs are for certain things either.

Given it is a 2018. I don't really want to have to touch anything. My strut brace is tight. Torqued it to 35 ftlbs, and 15 ftlbs like Petty's garage says.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If the knock was coming from the window, it could be a police officer trying to pull you over.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the knock was coming from the window, it could be a police officer trying to pull you over.
Probably not in my driveway.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just remembered one thing, when I installed the hellcat air box, it didn't have any foam around the bottom like the stock airbox. Being that it is spring and I drive with the windows down now, I could be hearing the airbox banging together, this weekend I think I'll add some weatherstripping and see if it still does it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sir, we've had complaints about a loud car in the area...
‘I have no idea what you’re talking about officer, this car isn’t loud’ >:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So I checked the airbox, still making the noise. I've checked the torque on all the bolts for the strut brace and everything is correct. This is driving me nuts, every time I leave my driveway I hear this knock sound. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Edit: Only hear it at slow speeds going over bumps at an angle.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
probably check the end link bolts on the front and rear sway bars.

probably something goes through a bit of flex / compression and it something binds it might pop.

There some instances of front sway bar nuts / washers being swapped around that would make noises backing up and turning sharply (like exiting a garage or parking space)

Since its not happening in other situations, I'd suspect something suspension related

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Is it from the front or rear? I'm hearing a new mysterious knock from the left rear in my 2016 Scat Pack.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it from the front or rear? I'm hearing a new mysterious knock from the left rear in my 2016 Scat Pack.
Drivers Front. Well, middle of the engine bay to the drivers side somewhere. My wife says she can't here it and I'm crazy.....

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Drivers Front. Well, middle of the engine bay to the drivers side somewhere. My wife says she can't here it and I'm crazy.....
The wife is ALWAYS right, so yes, you are going crazy! >:)

I had a knock like that after installing lowering springs. Took it back to the shop, and they tweaked a few things and it went away.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I had a knock like that after installing lowering springs. Took it back to the shop, and they tweaked a few things and it went away.
All I've done to it is the Petty's brace, and I've made sure it's tight about 10 times already. I have seen some peoples sway bar end links weren't tight enough. I'm going to request the dealer tighten all the sway bar mounting bolts to the required torque specs when I take it for an oil change soon. Hopefully that will fix it, but idk.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I want to install lowering springs and sway bars on it, but want to make sure there isn't another problem on it first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts