Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving for approximately 10 miles on mixed highway and secondary roads, I was turning right into a mall parking lot and... nothing. Dead.

Mid-turn I noticed the steering became extremely heavy, the dash showed nothing but the oil light. I coasted into the parking lot and turned everything off.

I checked the oil level and the dipstick showed a correct level (oil changed at the dealer last Monday). There was no smell of anything burning.

I got back in the car and it fired up immediately. No CEL, no warning lights of any kind. It ran perfectly after that.

I've got 14k miles on it. I'm clueless as to what happened. Why would only the oil pressure light come on, the engine shut down, and then no sign of an issue? Strange.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It is a known fact that the 2010 R/T and SRTs do this. I beleive it had something to do with rollover protection. Shutting off fuel pumps and electrical to prevent fires.

Bet ya made a hard right turn and were going to pass an exit or driveway.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I left a red light, took a 180 degree left turn, slight downhill road to the mall entrance. At the mall entrance there is a pothole that you have to avoid so the turn in is sharper than it need be and it's a slight uphill.

No where NEAR a roll over situation. But it is interesting that there may be a known issue. I'll bring it up with my dealer.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cliff notes for Engine Stalling thread: This is happening to many Challenger owners, no fix yet, dealership will test drive and say they can't duplicate the problem. There are no TSBs for this issue. I have a case open with Chrysler and their fix is to keep taking it back to the dealer. This will happen mostly while making sharp right hand turns. Happened to me 7 times within about a 1000 miles. 6 while turning right and once while turning left. Found a kink in my Catch Can lines and replaced them. Hasn't happened since I replaced them after 500 miles of driving. Knock on wood. Is this a fix for everyone? I don't think so, but for now it seems to have fixed my problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oil light probably just turned on because ignition was on but the engine wasn't running (like when you put the key into a normal car, turn it, but don't start it).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Happened to my 5.7 2005 magnum also. Picked it up used with 20,000 miles used. 1st owner was a lady who just put-putted around. I lived in Watertown at the time and it died twice on me as I had to only drive and idle it around a few blocks per day. Once weather struck I took it out on 128 and romped on it repeatedly when I could. Never did it again. HEMI's dont like to sleep.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is this happening with automatics and/or 6-speeds?? Mine has not done that (yet) to me, but i haven't put many miles on mine since i bought it. It's funny tho, one time my truck ('04 Hemi Ram) just up and stalled on me for no reason. I had just turned a corner and let off the gas at the speed limit and the engine just quit. Hasn't happend ever since. I just got the Challenger out of winter hibernation so i'll be driving it alot more, hope this doesn't become a problem.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Happened with my new R/T first time i drove it, also happened on a right hand turn, and it was a fairly slow turn at that. Since that one time though it hasn't happened again. I had read that the dealer can load an updated factory tune, but hasn't repeated itself so i haven't really worried about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sean65 the same thing just happend to me the other day..doing the exact same thing...lol I thought WTF! Turned her off and restarted all good haven't been able to replicate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same thing here, only I was stopped at a red light when it shut off. I heard the chime (oil pressure light) looked down and the engine was dead. Restarted and drove off, hasn't happened again in two months.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Its happened on my 2010 R/T Classic 4 times now with no codes, been to dealer each time for the issue, could not dup any event, they changed battery the last time as the car would not start, had to jump start it, batt was dead, we will see if that was the issue, I doubt it myself

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....its happened to me 3 times in the 10k miles Sean. As others have said, there are plenty of us with the issue and it ain't sludge in the TB.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has happened on my car 3 times with a stock tune and a diablo tune. Freaky. I didn't do any hard turns/acceleration. Big potential for accidents and is always in the back of my mind when I drive now

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The way it felt, this was not a mechanical issue, it was an immediate shutdown. This feels software related.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts