Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger SXT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hear this weird whinney wind noise when I'm going high speeds and accelerating can anyone help my car is brand new too btw! It's not loud at all its super quiet and can only really be heard when your paying close attention.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
A new car, an unfamiliar car, being operated at high speeds and under acceleration making a noise that can only be heard when paying close attention could be your imagination coupled with some extra anxiety from having a new car and fearing something is wrong or going wrong.

If the noise is not normal but a sign of a problem it could be any number of things.

My advice is arrange for a ride along with someone at the dealer service department -- shop foreman is a good choice -- and demo the noise to him. If it is not "normal" he will know it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A new car, an unfamiliar car, being operated at high speeds and under acceleration making a noise that can only be heard when paying close attention could be your imagination coupled with some extra anxiety from having a new car and fearing something is wrong or going wrong.

If the noise is not normal but a sign of a problem it could be any number of things.

My advice is arrange for a ride along with someone at the dealer service department -- shop foreman is a good choice -- and demo the noise to him. If it is not "normal" he will know it.
Thats what I was thinking maybe its just wind hitting my car or my imagination I only hear it in the 4am in the morning though when its super quiet going to work . I bought my car with 25 miles on it! I never own a muscle car before this my last car was a prius lol!

·
Registered
677 Posts
do you hear the noise on two or more different roads ?
New asphalt ?
Sometimes they put small grooves in the road and it will make tires 'sing ' a little.

if you hear it on a few different roads, you may hear your gears 'also' singing a little. They do a little on my Jeep Gladiator, it has the ZF 8HP like the Challenger. They are new and not broke in yet, 1540 miles.
I bet its the same for your gears in the differential or ZF 8HP transmission, it makes a little whine sometimes but really quiet. It will get really quiet as it works in. My Challenger is really quiet, but it has 3k miles.
I can hear some whine sometimes in the differentials on the Jeeps sometimes, but I think its road, cause its not always there,
Unless its obnoxious I'd just monitor for a while.
does it sound abnormal?
best regards
parrott

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you hear the noise on two or more different roads ?
New asphalt ?
Sometimes they put small grooves in the road and it will make tires 'sing ' a little.

if you hear it on a few different roads, you may hear your gears 'also' singing a little. They do a little on my Jeep Gladiator, it has the ZF 8HP like the Challenger. They are new and not broke in yet, 1540 miles.
I bet its the same for your gears in the differential or ZF 8HP transmission, it makes a little whine sometimes but really quiet. It will get really quiet as it works in. My Challenger is really quiet, but it has 3k miles.
I can hear some whine sometimes in the differentials on the Jeeps sometimes, but I think its road, cause its not always there,
Unless its obnoxious I'd just monitor for a while.
does it sound abnormal?
best regards
parrott
It is on different part of the road mostly when im going a bit higher incline im going up in elevation then when im going down it seems to go away

·
Registered
20 Posts
My guess is rear differential. Quite common complaint. My car does it as well. You can take it to the dealer to take a look at it but actual resolution is hit or miss. I replaced the fluid in mine and it has quieted the whine down by about 50%.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
590 Posts
Are you hearing a gear sound from the differential? Many owners experience this.
My 2019 Scat had a substantial whine from the rear end at higher speeds. Reminded me of a 3.73 posi cruising at 75 or 80. If I took my foot off the gas it would go away and would return under even light load, and was there from the day I bought it and never changed. Pay attention to whether the noise changes when you take your foot off the gas.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Thats what I was thinking maybe its just wind hitting my car or my imagination I only hear it in the 4am in the morning though when its super quiet going to work . I bought my car with 25 miles on it! I never own a muscle car before this my last car was a prius lol!
Even with an audio clip of the noise a diagnosis over the 'net is at best an educated guess.

The car is new. Maybe the noise is normal. These cars -- all high performance cars in my experience -- are a bit more raw than the more commonly bought passenger cars. I have been in a Prius, test drove one -- when I was testing automotive test equipment software -- and they are at least the one I was in quiet cars relatively speaking.

To switch from a Prius to a V6 equipped car with larger/heavier duty running gear to withstand the torque the V6 can produce will expose you to car noises you have not heard before.

If you can produce the noise at some time other than 4AM some time when the dealer is open arrange to have the car listened to by a tech.

Or given how faint the noise is just continue to drive the car. If the noise is a sign of a problem it will undoubtedly get worse and at some point then you can take the car in.

In the meantime, be sure the tires are properly inflated. Check tire pressures cold. When the noise is being heard if you can "play" with the heating and A/C system controls to see if by changing the fan speed, vent control settings, etc., you can affect the noise.

The noise might be a bit of wind noise even a slight air leak from the cabin past a side window. Pushing on the side glass or pulling on it -- using a suction cup camera mount -- might change the noise and thus provide you with a clue as to its source. At times in some cars under some "high" wind conditions I have heard noise caused by cabin air making its way past a side glass. The wind direction and wind speed combined with car's speed generates a low pressure area along the side of the car and this can have air leaking past the side glass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts